Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2010877 times)

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #8085 on: June 28, 2015, 02:46:08 pm »

Does CKII have siege attrition that it doesn't mention? Or do sometimes the random siege events not show up?
I've always noticed my troops to slowly diminish during sieges and events taking out chunks at a time. I just assumed it was simulating the casual firing upon from a defensible location.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8086 on: June 28, 2015, 03:25:16 pm »

Does CKII have siege attrition that it doesn't mention? Or do sometimes the random siege events not show up?
I think one of the patches made it so the random siege events don't pop up any more but show up in the important events tab.

It still happens though and can very frequently push you from having more than enough men to not enough men.

-----

Edit: I don't understand what Descan is talking about but if he wants to duel me I'm down with it.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #8087 on: June 28, 2015, 03:46:48 pm »

Yeah I get the occasional siege events killing men. But I'll lose like 500 men from an event firing and then suddenly whatever is happening to me kicks in and I start losing rapidly and within a month another 3000 men will be gone. Sometimes I can raid whole countries with a stack of raider troops, other times this kicks in and I lose all my guys at one county.

Speaking on a completely different topic... Holy crap man, way of life is ridiculous with the seducing. My initial char went through 6 wives (none of which were lustful) who became "the unfaithful" and I divorced within 15 years. Then he dies and his daughter (the only child his wives had that wasn't someone else's bastard) becomes queen, and I start getting bombarded with like 4-5 indecent proposals a month with every count and duke in the realm trying to bed the queen. And they would not give up, it went on for years before I just quit the game in frustration of the popup every week (even when I'm trying to fight a war and the guy who is trying to seduce is supposed to be leading troops). Even her archbishop was trying to get it on with her. There should be some recourse to this mess, I should be able to imprison them all. Or at least an option to demand that they end their advances, similar to the "End Plot" demand thing. The rest of way of life is pretty interesting, but this part is ridiculous. And this is already the "toned down" version where they "fixed" it. I can't imagine how bad it was before.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 03:59:19 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8088 on: June 28, 2015, 04:17:29 pm »

Speaking on a completely different topic... Holy crap man, way of life is ridiculous with the seducing. My initial char went through 6 wives (none of which were lustful) who became "the unfaithful" and I divorced within 15 years. Then he dies and his daughter (the only child his wives had that wasn't someone else's bastard) becomes queen, and I start getting bombarded with like 4-5 indecent proposals a month with every count and duke in the realm trying to bed the queen. And they would not give up, it went on for years before I just quit the game in frustration of the popup every week (even when I'm trying to fight a war and the guy who is trying to seduce is supposed to be leading troops). Even her archbishop was trying to get it on with her. There should be some recourse to this mess, I should be able to imprison them all. Or at least an option to demand that they end their advances, similar to the "End Plot" demand thing. The rest of way of life is pretty interesting, but this part is ridiculous. And this is already the "toned down" version where they "fixed" it. I can't imagine how bad it was before.
There is. Change focus.

Also, hunt is much worse honestly.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #8089 on: June 28, 2015, 05:31:36 pm »

There is. Change focus.

Also, hunt is much worse honestly.
But the queen's focus was rulership. Does focus even affect how seducer lords approach your characters?
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8090 on: June 28, 2015, 05:37:54 pm »

I don't think so. I honestly don't know at all how to get rid of your unwanted suitors. Embrace tyranny, execute alll of them?

I'd still change focus, though - Rulership seems to always throw up that event that makes you stressed (or depressed?). If there are positive events there, they don't pop up very often. Business gets you less Stewardship, but a nice opinion bonus and much nicer events (so much moneyyy).
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8091 on: June 28, 2015, 06:09:25 pm »

Yeahhh....

I have no clue what on earth rulership is for honestly. I've had it for several characters for years and years and years and nothing good ever seems to happen.

Hunting is pretty stupid but at least you get good events once in awhile.

Business is super strong because of so much free money (though sometimes you get caught when you print crappy money). When you just started, especially in MP, you definitely want business as having thousands more gold than everyone else is massive. Unless you're all in the same country, then you want intrigue so you can kidnap everyone.

The rest are all pretty amusing.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8092 on: June 28, 2015, 06:14:24 pm »

I think I took rulership once. It allowed me to build a new holding for something like 200 gold, instead of the 900 it should have cost in that province, at the end of an event chain. Some months later my ruler got stressed and died.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8093 on: June 28, 2015, 06:22:09 pm »

Hunting is pretty stupid but at least you get good events once in awhile.
The White ... hunt events are so spammy it's terrible. If you're at peace, you can get it several times a month, and it's several events (1 : you decide to go hunt at place X, 2) you hunt at X but 3) you're dissapointed, etc). And even if you finally encounter or kill, 1 month later, there's ANOTHER mystical white beast that appears. Sure you can get ok things (a few courtiers), but I can't bear the spam. Rulership makes your character depressed, hunting gets me stressed and depressed.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8094 on: June 28, 2015, 06:39:00 pm »

It's spammy, but there are good events that can happen:

1. The hunter trait is super easy to get, which leads to some good free stats.
2. Occasionally you'll meet either a good future courtier or a superwoman from the wilds. If you have a pagan leader or anyone that can have concubines, having an army of those superwomen is excellent for building amazing children.
3. There's a number of events in it that increase health. Training your dog gives you +1 for instance.
4. As long as your pet dog is alive, it will very frequently fire off events that clear out your stressed trait. Very useful.
5. You can go on grand hunts at any time, which is kinda neat. (I think that might be a CK2+ thing)

So it just depends on your tolerance. I know actually killing your white target is almost impossible. I've only ever seen it once in so many frigging games.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8095 on: June 29, 2015, 08:45:44 am »

I think one of the patches made it so the random siege events don't pop up any more but show up in the important events tab.

It still happens though and can very frequently push you from having more than enough men to not enough men.

In addition, I think they only show up if your character is actively leading a flank or a unit, too.

Edit: I don't understand what Descan is talking about but if he wants to duel me I'm down with it.

It had already been stated several times that it wasn't attrition, including in the post you were responding to.

Love, scriver~

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8096 on: June 29, 2015, 02:15:11 pm »

Hunting is great for the health bonus to keep that old foggy alive ten more years. Rulership is good if you get a crappy character because it lets it get traits like diligent, just and ambitious. Not of much use if you educated your heir properly.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8097 on: June 29, 2015, 02:50:40 pm »

Well this should be interesting....the HRE in my Malinese game has been a Lombard state for the 100 years or so that it's been around, initially a fusion of the kingdoms of Lombardy and Asturias. Now the throne belongs to Sunigelda, eldest daughter of Emperor Liutbrand, who had five daughters but only one son, a bastard still in his youth. Liutbrand was married off to the Greek Orthodox Doux of Sicily. They have a son, Ioulianos, who is also an Orthodox Greek. Which means that, barring a successful revolt before Liutbrand passes away, the HRE will have an Orthodox Greek Emperor. Curious to see if the HRE somehow winds up combining with the Byzantines (although the Byzantine Empire has been a Patriarchate since 772...I still have NO idea how that happened).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8098 on: June 29, 2015, 04:40:17 pm »

(although the Byzantine Empire has been a Patriarchate since 772...I still have NO idea how that happened).

Spoiler: explanation (click to show/hide)
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #8099 on: June 29, 2015, 05:26:05 pm »

So. Am not especially concerned with micromanaging everything, am instead seducing everyone and their mother, including my own siblings, so i have kids to marry into foreign cultures and get me some claims. If someone crosses me, they get assassinated and possibly their wife knocked up with my kid. If i can clear out some lines of succession to get my own kids in there, assassination. Someone's not dropping a plot when i want them to, assassination.

My surviving (and likely eventually inbred) children will fight amongst themselves in the inevitable clusterfuck, the survivors will breed the next generation to pass on those Darwin-approved genes and continue the cycle. Eventually a race of ubermensch will arise, disfigured from inbreeding, but strong for they are the survivors. Even lover's pox will only be a nuisance, simply serving as one more obstacle to be overcome.

Am i doing it right?
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 1002