Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2010134 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #8145 on: July 02, 2015, 03:42:01 am »

Dates progress slower. Sort of like Dwarf Fortress and FPS. The longer the game goes on, the more stuff there is, the slower it gets.

Save loads get slower as the files get larger, as you might expect, but this is pretty trivial.

Yes, this. A "Day" in ck2 works pretty muck like a "tick" in DF. The more thinking the AI have to do each tick, the longer the day takes to pass. Now, ck2 isn't slow for me either when I first start up a campaign, but as time goes on the number of characters pretty much explodes and this has a big impact on performance. After a hundred years I have a noticeable slow down compared to at start, and at 200 years it starts getting in the way of fun. I usually get bored of waiting for my computer some time after that. I really cent imagine what it must be like if I were to try and do a full run from one of the early starts.
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8146 on: July 02, 2015, 09:12:06 am »

I feel like it's only a matter of time before they add China and/or SE Asia to the game. Which would be awesome. You have the Tang Dynasty in China, the early cultural contact between China and Japan, and the An Lushan Rebellion.
Since I know you know a lot about China, how do you feel about the "the CK2 engine can't adequately depict Imperial China" argument?

Actually, I think it can handle it pretty well with a few tweaks. China was a classically feudal empire from at least the later Han (~25AD) forward. In a lot of ways, Chinese dynastic history strongly resembles CK2 blobbing and fragmentation. You'd have a solid blob of China (which was considerably smaller than modern China) for a couple hundred years, then either a dynastic revolt (similar to the Muslim decadence revolts), a foreign conquest (little harder to replicate, espeically the part when the invaders became Chinese rather than the other way around), or disintegration and chaos (easy enough).

Here's China's dynastic history during the CK2 timeframe:

618-908     Tang Dynasty
907-960     Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms Period -- similar to when the HRE is weak and most of the Dukes claim independence
960-1279   Song Dynasty -- established when one of the fragmentary states conquered all the others
     960-1127     Northern Song -- conquered by the Jurchen Jin "dynasty", capital moves south from Kaifeng to Hangzhou
     1127-1279    Southern Song -- Song imperial rule continues in the south until conquered by the Mongols under Kublai Khan.
1279-1368     Yuan Dynasty (Mongols) -- China ruled by Kublai Khan and descendents. Part of the Mongol Empire until the fracturing of the Hordes.
1688-1644     Ming Dynasty -- Han rule re-established through popular uprising.

I think they would have to add a few mechanics:
1. Face/honor -- Kind of like decadence in that it would affect the whole family but there should be either a weaker ripple effect or seperate personal and family honor levels. Low enough personal levels would allow your liege to revoke your title for free. Low family levels could make you invalid for being invested with new titles. Plus a general malus for low honor. I suppose this could be done with prestige, but it's too easy to abuse prestige, and honor is somewhat different -- more like a mix of piety and prestige.
2. Naval combat -- As pointed out, naval combat (a bit of a misnomer, since it was mostly river combat) should be a thing. Naval power is really the only thing that kept the Song dynasty alive as long as it did against the Mongols.
3. Mandate of Heaven -- Stretching back into time immemorial is the concept of the Mandate of Heaven. Basically, if things are going good, the Emperor is assumed to have the blessing of the gods. If things are going bad (natural disasters, famine, plague, etc) then it's assumed this is the gods' way of saying "This guy sucks, get a new Emperor". Loss of the Mandate of Heaven often helped to magnify popular revolts.
4. Resistance to culture change -- The Chinese are well-documented in their ability to culturally assimilate invaders, to the point where the Manchu emperor kept an entirely separate capital in Manchuria that all Manchu nobles and youth were required to spend part of the year at, learning and practicing things like horsemanship, archery and the Manchu language, lest they become Sinicized and "soft". Chinese cultures should be kept to two (Beifaren and Nanfaren) in the Han group, and be much harder to change with events.
5. Tributaries -- Most, if not all, of China's neighbors were tributaries to the Empire when it was strong. When it was weak, it was often tributary itself -- especially to the steppe tribes of the north and west. Smart emperors played the tribes against each other to keep them busy and weak and allied to the Imperial Throne. Weak emperors were seen as an easy target by opportunistic nomads, who increased their tribute demands to burdensome levels. IIRC, tributaries are being added in the next expansion anyways.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8147 on: July 02, 2015, 09:45:06 am »

Tried playing as William the Bastard, but apparently because of the game mechanics you don't get a claim on England. 'Hey! Play as William! You can invade England! Except you can't because the game mechanics screw that over but never mind that.'
What start is this?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8148 on: July 02, 2015, 09:57:51 am »

Tried playing as William the Bastard, but apparently because of the game mechanics you don't get a claim on England. 'Hey! Play as William! You can invade England! Except you can't because the game mechanics screw that over but never mind that.'
What start is this?
1066, Stamford Bridge

Turns out it was a bug. It seems half the time you DON'T start off at war when you're the duke of Normandy. For some reason.
Ah, that explains it, because I've played as William before and I didn't get the bug.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8149 on: July 02, 2015, 10:42:39 am »

Um, okay, so... what is this?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have literally never seen this form of succession before. Appointment? I vaguely remember that the Byzantines have/historically had that sort of system for vassals, but this is a top-level succession law, for a random King of Germany (installed as a claimant through a Crusade). He has no sons and is Celibate, somehow, and the heir is his nephew. I couldn't figure out if you get to choose your heir or what.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8150 on: July 02, 2015, 10:57:19 am »

4. Resistance to culture change -- The Chinese are well-documented in their ability to culturally assimilate invaders, to the point where the Manchu emperor kept an entirely separate capital in Manchuria that all Manchu nobles and youth were required to spend part of the year at, learning and practicing things like horsemanship, archery and the Manchu language, lest they become Sinicized and "soft". Chinese cultures should be kept to two (Beifaren and Nanfaren) in the Han group, and be much harder to change with events.
In addition you can give people with primary titles in China a decision (like, I think tribal conquerors always have? Or just the Germanics.) to become Chinese, which the AI would be unusually drawn to. It'll probably give prestige, too, instead of costing it.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8151 on: July 02, 2015, 11:19:19 am »

Um, okay, so... what is this?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have literally never seen this form of succession before. Appointment? I vaguely remember that the Byzantines have/historically had that sort of system for vassals, but this is a top-level succession law, for a random King of Germany (installed as a claimant through a Crusade). He has no sons and is Celibate, somehow, and the heir is his nephew. I couldn't figure out if you get to choose your heir or what.

Going by the tooltip I'd draw the conclusion that it became a viceroyalty somehow, but I haven't git the DLC that added that mechanic so I don't know for sure how those looks.

I assume you aren't using any mods?
Love, scriver~

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8152 on: July 02, 2015, 11:21:57 am »

It describes viceroyal kingdoms pretty much perfectly.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8153 on: July 02, 2015, 11:29:43 am »

A little digging told me it's the law for viceroyalties and vassals of holy orders, but... this is a top-level King. There's no-one to appoint him to his post. Who do his titles revert to, God? And yeah, no Charlemagne and no mods at all.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8154 on: July 02, 2015, 11:37:10 am »

Probably the Pope. Greedy bugger.

You might want to report this to the Paradox forums. It looks,like it might be a bug. Also, make a backup of a savefile (in case they want to look at it), then get the king killed and tell us what happens :D
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8155 on: July 02, 2015, 11:38:39 am »

Also, how does "agnatic appointment" make any sense?  I'm sure the agnatic part doesn't actually do anything under appointment, but it almost sounds like the apointee would get to bequeath his titles if the ruler was an empress.

Does look like a bug though yeah.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8156 on: July 02, 2015, 11:43:58 am »

Perhaps the nation that won the crusade was a viceroyalty?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8157 on: July 02, 2015, 11:54:51 am »

Also, how does "agnatic appointment" make any sense?  I'm sure the agnatic part doesn't actually do anything under appointment, but it almost sounds like the apointee would get to bequeath his titles if the ruler was an empress.

Does look like a bug though yeah.

The Agnatic part decides who is a valid ruler for that system. Presumably only men can be appointed to this title, hence agbatic appointment.
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8158 on: July 02, 2015, 12:10:03 pm »

In addition you can give people with primary titles in China a decision (like, I think tribal conquerors always have? Or just the Germanics.) to become Chinese, which the AI would be unusually drawn to. It'll probably give prestige, too, instead of costing it.
Or ramp up the malus for differing culture. After all, you'll be ruling a bunch of Han provinces, all with an inherent 5% revolt risk and penalty to taxes and manpower.

Historically, the reason invaders got Sinicized was partly out of necessity and partly out of the attractiveness of the lifestyle, not unlike how the Visigoths and Lombards got Romanized. In order to rule 200 million Chinese, you're gonna have to learn to their language. In order to keep their respect, you have to use their titles and ceremonies. And once you have their palaces and luxuries and such, who's going to choose to stay living in a yurt eating yak butter? Within one to two generations, most would-be conquerors were speaking and writing Chinese, dressing in the Chinese fashion, using Chinese titles, worshipping at Chinese temples (although religion was one area where invaders would have an effect, bringing Buddhism to prominence over Taoism and Confucianism) and generally being Chinese.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8159 on: July 02, 2015, 12:26:18 pm »

When in China, do as the Chinese do.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal
Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 1002