Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 545 546 [547] 548 549 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2008733 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #8190 on: July 07, 2015, 09:58:14 am »

Cathar is the only heresy that unlocks Absolute Cognatic. I was actually aiming to get it to allow for female council members but then I found out that the Cathar faith has no pope. Without a pope, I can't excommunicate bad vassals and imprison/execute them. Do Cathar males dislike female rulers?
Messalian also unlocks Absolute Cognatic, as well as female council and priests (though it also has no Pope). It's Extra Heresy at its finest.

Never played as Cathar, sorry. I think the female ruler penalty might be universal, I've never investigated it.
Messalians have the added mechanic of Divine Blood, like Zoroastrians... but no concubines, so you are forced into having inbred heirs.

Anyway, you know what time it is. This is the last one, since the release is in 7 days.

There are special events if you control the silk road. For instance, a chinese(!) emperor might send a governor to help you administrate your routes.

There are also various events to tell you what your heir-turned-mercenary is up to. From the related screenshot, it seems they can convert to other religions, as shown by the heir becoming Zunist. Other things that might happen is increasing the level of the military education trait, having bastards and so on. I'm guessing it will depend on traits, with diligent mercenaries using the cash to improve their company, lustful and/or hedonistic having bastards and squandering the cash, and, I think, cynical one converting to other religions.

As a nomad, you'll also be able to adopt a personal warhorse, which I assume works like the hunting dog.

This... was a pretty weak dev diary, actually.

There was also this line
Oh! And I might actually have heard legends about certain altaic families behaving in odd ways lately… with hideous faces and beast-like behavior.
but unless it is about Secret Bears, I don't know what it might be about.

Spoiler: Images (click to show/hide)
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8191 on: July 07, 2015, 10:17:35 am »

I see a disturbing lack of Chinese coast

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8192 on: July 07, 2015, 10:20:07 am »

I see a disturbing lack of Chinese coast

Is that one team still working on the East Asia map mod? It's basically all of Europe and Asia, that was years ago now though.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8193 on: July 07, 2015, 10:37:40 am »

Messalians have the added mechanic of Divine Blood, like Zoroastrians... but no concubines, so you are forced into having inbred heirs.

Doesn't divine Blood cut down the chance of the Inbred trait showing up dramatically? Can't remember it ever being a problem in my zoroastrian game, despite never having non-sister/mother/daughter wifes and concubines for several generations.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8194 on: July 07, 2015, 10:59:52 am »

Inbred is really, really hard to get naturally too.

I've only ever seen it once and it was a bug. Basically my character's daughter had premarital sex and I had an event where I could choose to say the child that resulted was mine so as to hide it. However, the game interpreted this as meaning that I was the child's father so it gave the kid inbred even though my daughter's lover was some other dude from another family.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8195 on: July 07, 2015, 12:10:26 pm »

I should probably dump this video here for completion, though I sort of already covered everything that was said.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8196 on: July 07, 2015, 03:58:49 pm »

There was also this line
Oh! And I might actually have heard legends about certain altaic families behaving in odd ways lately… with hideous faces and beast-like behavior.
but unless it is about Secret Bears, I don't know what it might be about.

BEAR INVASION DLC

AT LONG LAST

@Inbred: I haven't gotten Inbred in a while due to being veeery careful about marriages now, but at least in the past it was pretty easy to get - I think incest also increases chance of other harmful traits? I still try to avoid marrying relatives, even if they're just distant Kin. At least the Health malus is likely to kill any Inbred kids you might get.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8197 on: July 07, 2015, 04:08:01 pm »

At least the Health malus is likely to kill any Inbred kids you might get.
Health malus? What health malus?
Everyone knows your inbred child is destined to live for 90 years and your strong genius son will die in infancy from choking on his own spit.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Margrave

• Bay Watcher
  • ...You up for a little unsanctioned mining?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8198 on: July 07, 2015, 04:16:02 pm »

Inbred does seem fairly rare. And when it struck in my game I got not one, but two.

My ruler was the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, he had a nice portion of Europe under his thumb and had married his genius heir to the sister of the reigning Byzantine Emperor. Hoping to at least give his grandchildren a weak claim that might be useful further down the line and a semi-reliable ally to protect Catholic Jerusalem.

Alas, despite the notorious (LECHER) randiness of the HRE Ruler, his son lacked his virility and lived to 38 without producing a single child with his tremendously prestigious wife of twenty years.

So, what would any red-blooded Sovereign do in this case? Skip a generation and go straight to the source. My Emperor gave the Princess 4 children/grandchildren. The first two fraternal twins and the next two inbred sons both named Mortimer. They did not live past age 5.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8199 on: July 07, 2015, 04:38:40 pm »

Looks like for Horse Lords there's a new mapmode which shows you a nation's government type.

Can't imagine it being that useful, except for curiosity's sake, though, TBH.
It should be useful watching every single government type be swept away by Mongolians
And Republic Spotting
Would Imperial Administration count as its own government?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8200 on: July 07, 2015, 04:39:40 pm »

Looks like for Horse Lords there's a new mapmode which shows you a nation's government type.

Can't imagine it being that useful, except for curiosity's sake, though, TBH.
Probably going to be useful for mods, especially now that they announced people will be able to mod governments.

Would Imperial Administration count as its own government?
Based on a screenshot, no.

With Horse Lords governments are: Feudal, Theocracy, Republic, Iqta, Tribal, Nomadic.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8201 on: July 07, 2015, 05:21:11 pm »

For those curious on Inbred I know it has a bigger inherit chance then any other congenital trait. Mine is at 25, but I might have edited it down some, I seem to remember seeing it at 50% at some point.

Don't know what the chance of it first happening is though, the files just say "inbred=yes" on that matter.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8202 on: July 07, 2015, 09:36:04 pm »

So this patch sounds really great but I have a couple drunkquestions

Is China really going to be in the game
If I have an ironman game going on when the patch hits, what happens?  Can I keep playing it at all?  Based on past patches of course.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8203 on: July 07, 2015, 11:14:38 pm »

Based on what I've seen with the India update, all savegames will die the moment its released.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8204 on: July 08, 2015, 12:37:01 am »

So this patch sounds really great but I have a couple drunkquestions

Is China really going to be in the game
If I have an ironman game going on when the patch hits, what happens?  Can I keep playing it at all?  Based on past patches of course.

China is not in the game. Possibly a couple of provinces that are in modern China. I'm not sure where it's borders are. But the whole of it? No. In fact, there is supposedly no extension of the map at all, they've just added new provinces where it was previously untraverseable wasteland/terra incognito.

And yes, it will probably break your savegame. I think you can set the game to not automatically update in it's settings, though?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 545 546 [547] 548 549 ... 1002