Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 603 604 [605] 606 607 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2007213 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #9060 on: October 17, 2015, 03:23:03 pm »

Being an imperial count/duke is apparently a thing I have to try.  Being a regular one is something I do literally almost every game I play.  I dont tend to start as kings or higher often, and usually shy from being a duke in favor of a count.

It's actually a lot of fun to be a key vassal of a more powerful lord. Not an enormously powerful lord or the top liege though, because they'll just steamroll you and/or put a boot on your neck. But a game where the realm is decentralized enough for the peerage to have meaningful internal politics and large enough for civil conflict is good even if you never make it to the top of the pile. One of my favorite runs ever had me as the count of Novgorod, on Rus' border with Polandblob.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9061 on: October 19, 2015, 05:47:10 pm »

Being an imperial count/duke is apparently a thing I have to try.  Being a regular one is something I do literally almost every game I play.  I dont tend to start as kings or higher often, and usually shy from being a duke in favor of a count.

It's actually a lot of fun to be a key vassal of a more powerful lord. Not an enormously powerful lord or the top liege though, because they'll just steamroll you and/or put a boot on your neck. But a game where the realm is decentralized enough for the peerage to have meaningful internal politics and large enough for civil conflict is good even if you never make it to the top of the pile. One of my favorite runs ever had me as the count of Novgorod, on Rus' border with Polandblob.
Weird.
One of my favorite runs ever was as the king of poland dealing with novorogd's fucking wizardlike steward who would shit claims like candy and as a result we were in like near-perpetual war
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9062 on: October 20, 2015, 04:01:08 pm »

Another sort of Dev Diary (that actually talks mostly about how Paradox does things, in this case QA) with a teaser screenshot.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

By the looks of it, they'll be adding the option to see vassal dynasties within the realm.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9063 on: October 21, 2015, 10:13:20 am »

Weird.
One of my favorite runs ever was as the king of poland dealing with novorogd's fucking wizardlike steward who would shit claims like candy and as a result we were in like near-perpetual war
I got a steward like that in my first play through as Ireland.

Now any time a Jew named mar shows up I grant him land in favor of that wizard.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9064 on: October 21, 2015, 12:24:34 pm »

I had awful experiences giving jews land.  goes from steward to hating me and trying to convert everyone.

Rebellious, plotting, zionist to the max.  He even rebelled against me (and almost won) when the aztecs attacked with a stack of 60k to my 55k.

Now I usually convert non-councilor jews, and dont give out land to infidels.

btw, how does ones steward get claims? ;)  chanciollor
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9065 on: October 22, 2015, 07:16:00 am »

Weird.
I got a steward like that in my first play through as Ireland.

Now any time a Jew named mar shows up I grant him land in favor of that wizard.
The Great Wizard Mar! Long may he live!
The greatest chanciler in CKII history!
The reason we tried to have a Jewish Ireland run.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 07:26:06 am by Sprin »
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9066 on: October 22, 2015, 09:22:24 am »

I have to ask, is there any fun/interesting way to break up huge blobs in the game? After forming the Islamic Empire of Hispania I've been having difficulties tangling with the HRE. They have expanded into the north Italy and seem to be quite stable. Or at least they don't seem to be racked with the almost constant rebellions that happens in my other games. Ever since I broke up their alliance with the Byzantine Empire our troop numbers have been roughly even, but obviously any attempts to Holy War them down tends to draw in most of the Christian kingdoms bordering the HRE. Which is most of them. Hence why I'm wondering if I could break up or weaken the HRE through some method and not have to slog through a century or two of wars just to slowly expand into Italy.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9067 on: October 22, 2015, 09:42:50 am »

Take France?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9068 on: October 22, 2015, 09:59:23 am »

Who controls Rome?  Capturing it should damage Catholic moral authority a bit and they'll get heresies.  There's also a catholic religious site in Canterbury.  Can you weasel your way into England, possibly through Ireland?

Regardless they'll probably call for a crusade on someone soon enough.  If it's not against you (though it probably will be since you have Spain) you can use that as an opportunity to attack.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9069 on: October 22, 2015, 10:58:13 am »

In my current game the world is in some insane religious Chaos...somehow the Byzantine empire is now Muslim and not part of the other muslim nations and Christianity is floating around a pitiful 20ish authority because of the huge amount of holy wars won by the Byzantine empire...they practically own all of Italy now. I am slowly unifying England (starting as wales) and I am hosting the pope in my lands (not as a vassal though sadly).

I was originally planning on going Cathar or some other heresy (for the sake of expanding) but it seems the heresies are coming to me so I shall stick with plain old catholicism lol

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9070 on: October 22, 2015, 11:52:15 am »

Take France?

That is an option. Aquitaine split off from France long ago too, so lapping them both up should be easier than trying to tackle the HRE at the moment.

Who controls Rome?  Capturing it should damage Catholic moral authority a bit and they'll get heresies.  There's also a catholic religious site in Canterbury.  Can you weasel your way into England, possibly through Ireland?

The pope is still in Rome, and it'll take some island hopping to get close enough to threaten it but it should be doable. Taking Canterbury should also be possible, most likely by jumping up the coast of France into Brittany and ganking England from there. I'm not certain how much that'll help though. Last I checked their moral authority was at 90+ via winning a bunch of holy wars (I have no idea where though). Still, it is definitely worth a shot.

Regardless they'll probably call for a crusade on someone soon enough.  If it's not against you (though it probably will be since you have Spain) you can use that as an opportunity to attack.

Funny that you should mention that, because the 2nd Crusade for Sicily was just won against my ally despite my (sloppy) intervention. The first crusade was beaten fairly easily, but this time the Knight Hospitallers brought 60k+ mercenaries and enough money to keep them going for many years. Near the end, when they had to disband all of those troops, it probably would have been possible to win the Crusade but I was an idiot with committing my armies. As such I didn't have the time to ferry in new troops from Spain and thus Sicily was taken over by the Knight Hospitallers. This is probably not a good thing, given their ability to summon up stacks of cash and troops out of thin air.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9071 on: October 22, 2015, 12:52:59 pm »

Does murdering them into a state of female-child rulership still work?

Make their vassals hate them.  By killing them until a weak emperor is on the throne.  Rebellion, less troops, less monies, etc.  Though the +75 invading infidels tends to outweigh that when you dow them, it still helps, and those negatives add up fast for a new, incompotent, or unorthodox ruler.

I wish the chanciollor could worsen all vassal relationships, or affect liege -> lord relationships by being sent to various liege capitals.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9072 on: October 22, 2015, 02:17:03 pm »

I don't know if that'll work. Mostly because the current King has a ton of children and I don't know if I can murder them all in time before he kicks the bucket. I'll definitely try that for his heir though. After all, they only get a bonus to opinion if you're invading them and not some other poor country, right?

Also worsening vassal relationships does seem entirely pointless unless it's against some piddly two-vassal dukedom or something. The chances of it firing are far too low, and since you can't choose which vassals for it to affect the maluses are far too scattered to be useful. Especially since it affects mayors/priests too (I believe).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9073 on: October 22, 2015, 08:13:56 pm »

It is the year: Very future, allegedly the 4th of July 2666 but I suspect this calendar is somewhat more apocalyptic than the normal one. At least in North America, the Miroslav World Order must have vanished about 1,000 years ago or else have collapsed so spectacularly that all historical records were erased. Which is entirely possible, as there are signs of nuclear war having taken place.

For reference:

All of this meant that Earl Vukan Miroslav of Dodge was likely the last vestige of Miroslav hegemony in the North American continent; Constantinople in a sea of usurpers, barbarians and conquerors. An ugly Constantinople. Nevertheless, Vukan was an excellent commander, and determined to put Dodge back on the map - through the great evils of investment banking. Banker Vukan turned Dodge into quite the usurious Christian Fortress with a steadily growing force of Gusars; the surrounding revelationist nomads all passed over Vukan's lands considering the riches within not worth fighting the Gusars over. In the span of a few years the Gusars began conducting raids upon Vukan's hapless neighbours. Vukan had considered limiting raids to pagans and heretics, but then Countess Ana of Wichita was caught preparing an invasion of little Dodge.
Vukan burnt down all of Ana's holdings and then had her pay tribute to Dodge, it seemed fair. Vukan continued his great strategic planning by seeking more funds for more gratuitous banking, and another such opportunity presented itself when some sort of 5 way war between Catholic barbarians, Native Nomads and Revelationist Nomads ended with this:
Invasion by Vukan :D
And the civilizing of barbarians to proper Miroslav ways. The subjugation of the Pueblo Texans and Indians unintentionally led to a massive expansion in Miroslav influence, as Duke Dwight the Lewd began greatly expanding into the Amarilo tribes in northern Mexico. It did reach the point where most of the tributaries under Vukan were of higher ranks and had more power than Vukan, but they all balanced each other out. Duke Dwight the Lewd could never topple Countess Ana the Quarreler and vice versa.
The brilliant strategist, the shrewd banker - the warrior of thunderous horses and iron artifacts, Vukan!- Between his own efforts and Lewd Dwight, much of the central plains was loosely what all else considered Dodge's land. Vukan sent forth marriage proposals to the boy-King Ned III Brasge the Unready and another proposal to the King of Commancheria. Whilst Ned the Unready was agreeable and united Miroslav with Brasge, the Commancherian King was considerably more proud and refused to marry into the family of a lowly warlord. Understandable yes, but it didn't hurt proud Vukan any less to be rebuked so brutally.
Luckily for Vukan, his efforts to marry off one of his kids into Commancheria would result in an interesting encounter with someone seeking him.
Megan was a lowly countess of the minor Haanegan house within the Commancherian Kingdom. She was also an ambitious master of intrigue, who saw Vukan as useful to her, and Vukan saw her likewise. Perhaps most amusing was how Megan's first husband disappeared under suspicious circumstances shortly before Megan approached Vukan!
With tributary tribes and states surrounding the Miroslav core all ways but south, the Miroslavs turned south with Megan sowing discord from within. The Commancherians were facing the greatest threat to their independence since time immemorial. They were cracked proper smashed and dashed with soldiers pouring down their throats in a deluge of angry multicultural armies, demonstrating the full violence of the power of friendship. Well, for a while. Vukan died of poor health at the age of 38 and the Commancherian war stopped entirely in its tracks.
The first Miroslav Empire was broken. Liberal went to little Teodosije Miroslav, younger brother of Radoslav Miroslav who now ruled over the sole county of Dodge. Dwight the Lewd and Ana the Quarreler abandoned Radoslav to his own devices alongside many other new Dukes and Counts, the Miroslav Empire turning into Pueblo, New Mexico, Amarilo, Wichita and a few more middling states. Sensing newfound weakness in the central American plains, northern hordes and river pirates started getting drawn to the feast like crows to the fishpile.
Radoslav was in quite the pickle. Megan supported little Teodosije Miroslav, not him, and the Kings of Platte had too many internal struggles of their own to be of use.
As they say, some things happen for a reason.
Deus Vult!
With uncharacteristic impatience Radoslav joined the Crusade for Lakotah before even finding out where Lakotah was. He had seen the Ursuline warrior Popess's crusade for Ohio fail, and knew it would take a Miroslav touch to succeed elsewhere. The Commanche King, quite depressed, agreed to an end to the war, not wishing to fight any further to secure victory. The Gusar host, having not yet lost a single battle (or indeed, fought in any recent major battles) arrived in Lakotah with full strength and very quickly turned the tides of battle.
With just two battles the brilliant cavalry commander Radoslav became King Radoslav Miroslav the Great, King of Lakotah and Earl of Dodge. The Crusade was easy, much too easy - what Radoslav in his impatience had not seen was that Lakotah was undergoing a massive rebellion, one he had just stumbled into headlong.
Had Radoslav been given a few days to rout the rebel armies, he may have stood a chance. Unwittingly, by destroying the Lakotan King and taking his place, Radoslav had unleashed the rebellion upon himself. The rebellion against the former King was now found with quite the unusual situation, with Lakotah having just deposed two Kings in the span of days and rebel armies and crusaders encamped in two halves of the nation. Mother Megan may have had some role in guiding the outcome; all rebel lands were to remain in rebel hands, all conquered lands were turned over to the sons of Miroslav 1, and Radoslav was given one county to dwell with and grow his own family.
Radoslav was instantly promoted to Cavalry Commander and Minister of Defence, the great hero conqueror undefeated in battle. The master of intrigue, King Teodosije, Earl of Dodge and Liberal would be in dire need of all of his brothers soon.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9074 on: October 22, 2015, 08:34:53 pm »

As Falls Wichita So Falls Wichita Falls
Ask not!  Where the crusade is for...  Ask what you can do for the crusade.
(and become exalted among men)

And... deposing a king resulted in the rebels targeting the new king?  I didn't know that, would have guessed it'd end with "casus belli no longer valid".  Huh.

A good read as always, thank you!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 603 604 [605] 606 607 ... 1002