Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2009047 times)

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #9330 on: December 30, 2015, 12:29:07 am »

I know I could just go and try for myself, but my connection is slow and my laziness legendary: how do HIP and CK2+(and any other major overhaul I'm not aware of) compare against each other? I'm interested in something that adds flavour and interesting gameplay without breaking the vanilla feel too much and doesn't perform significantly worse than vanilla.
I have recently started playing CK2 again with CK2+ and it's very good, but also depressingly slow(played the whole night yesterday and only made 30 years :S). And while HIP sounds just as, if not more, slow with the SWMH module, I'm hoping since it's modular I can just skip that one, maybe throw in another mod that removes India, and still have an enjoyable experience, am I wrong?
I checked for myself and the newest release of HIP has a new variant of SMWH that instead of adding more provinces to Europe only removes a good chunk of India and the Steppes. Performance is very much improved from CK2+. I still haven't got around the deepest differences in both mods but HIP now has CK2+ very decent faction system and many more flavour events.

Fired a few games in my favorite ToG start(Duke of Balaton) and had some fun.
In the first one the High Chief of Bihar(which is an independent tributary of Bulgaria in the mod) randomly declared on me. Easy prestige after marrying a genius lowborn. I offered fealty to Árpád ASAP but resigned when he begun the revokefest on me(the 15k+ doomstack the Magyar get in the beginning is too scary -- still not enough to net them the whole of Hungary, apparently)
Second one I decided to join the Bulgarians instead. No luck, they are gimped to the ground.
In the current one I decided to join Moravia. They had one revolt and two wars with surrounding barbarian pagan tribes. Really fun ride, with the 4 provinces + the usual 3 vassal counts Balaton starts with in this mod I was able to have quite a big impact in the wars, we had to clear out two additional neighbors that declared on us and I had to take a loan to hire mercs but we did it.
Then I created a new ducal title with 2 of my provinces and managed to lose the one I start with :P Balaton starts as Agnatic-Cognatic Gavelkind in HIP, I thought I wouldn't be able to meet the requirements for Primogeniture until my character's death so I decided to install Elective Monarchy instead. 2 of my counts prompted to vote on one of them and the rest(including me) just voted for themselves or their own heir. Since you can only change inheritance laws once per character(pretty sure that's a HIP thing) I was screwed, and I did have what I needed for primogeniture after all.
Next I asked the king to transfer the vassalage of the last de jure county of my new duchy to me. As soon as he transferred I got the message it was plagued by cathar heretics(did I mention it was a pagan slavic province?), no wonder he was so willing to give it to me, huh? It didn't take much for the heretics to organize around a militant leader and spawn a 2k stack. That's really bad, ain't it? Actually, it's not!
Just as the king was struggling to put enough troops in the battle against them he decided to enforce a revocation on a county of mine he had been wanting since forever. Well, I may have just short of 2k troops, but out of your ~4k there's a 1k stack being decimated by 2k angry heretics, have fun. And indeed much fun was had when I took a loan, filled my ranks with a few mercs and proceeded to wipe the floor with the king's ass(I wonder why he didn't take a loan and hired mercs himself too though).
I did lose a duchy in the end, but I had a daughter married to the lucky elected's firstborn just in case. The bastard changed his heir to his middle son, but I think I'll still get children with claims out of the marriage? We'll see.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 12:34:15 am by Uristides »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #9331 on: December 30, 2015, 03:17:19 am »

Thinking of buying just one DLC, which one would you fellas recommend?  As far as most bang for my buck, goes. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9332 on: December 30, 2015, 03:33:30 am »

Thinking of buying just one DLC, which one would you fellas recommend?  As far as most bang for my buck, goes.

Legacy of Rome, Old Gods or Sons of Abraham are probably the best depending on what you like.

LoR is great for people who like the Byzantines, Old Gods lets you play as pagans which unlocks a huge chunk of the world and lets you play the Norse, which is great fun, SoA fleshes out a lot of stuff to do with the Christians which makes playing a generic noble in Europe more fun.

Way of Life is also good, it gives you more control over how your character spends their time, makes gaining and losing traits more likely and has a lot of events that can be quite fun.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #9333 on: December 30, 2015, 03:35:00 am »

I may or may not have just impulse bought all of them  :P
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9334 on: December 30, 2015, 02:50:43 pm »

I may or may not have just impulse bought all of them  :P
That is probably the best option anyways.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9335 on: December 30, 2015, 05:57:06 pm »

I apparently suck at this game. Started the 1066 William de Normandie start.... several times. Everytime i gain a foothold in england, something ruins it. Norwegians stomp me out after i weaken myself fighting england. France gets me killed leading an army against HRE. France allies with England against Norway and ruins my takeover.

Can't make any progress.

Might just go back to playing Leon, like the old days.

Or mess around out east. Never really gave anything east of paris much of a go in the past.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9336 on: December 30, 2015, 06:05:50 pm »

I think the 1066 england start is supposed to be hard.  dont take it too bad. History happened.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9337 on: December 30, 2015, 06:15:31 pm »

Yup, the England 1066 Stamford Bridge start is intentionally hard, regardless of the faction in the English Claim War.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9338 on: December 30, 2015, 06:31:37 pm »

Yeah, I tried to make a go of it as Harald Hardrada. 3 rebellions within a year of me taking the territory.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9339 on: December 30, 2015, 06:35:20 pm »

Yup, the England 1066 Stamford Bridge start is intentionally hard, regardless of the faction in the English Claim War.
Pretty much. The way I found to win as both William and Harald (I've yet to win as Svend) is to wait until the other side invades first and depletes both their army and the saxon one, only then moving in to stack-wipe both. Then, as LordBrassroast mentioned, there are the inevitable rebellions.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9340 on: December 30, 2015, 06:37:42 pm »

That's good to know at least. I should probably get back into things more slowly, it's been years since I played CK2. I love the game, but I have to justify buying more expansions by actually play it once in a while.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9341 on: December 30, 2015, 06:47:21 pm »

Its worth pointing out that in real life, Harold died because he got hit accidentally by an arrow, making the conquest of England a lot easier.

EDIT. Checked and I mixed up two incidents. William died while taking a town in France. However he did have to deal with major rebellions in the North after taking England, especially one in York that he dealt with in the Harrying of the North.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 07:36:09 pm by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9342 on: December 30, 2015, 07:14:38 pm »

Also, should note, I gave the AGOT 1.0 mod a try the other day... yeah... Robert's Rebellion, playing Ned Stark, Start Game, Raise levies, Game Freezes. Not sure if actually 1.0 and really buggy, or if CK2 is just like that sometimes, either way, I realized while I'm often lost in regards to CK2 vanilla/real world geography and history, I'm even more lost in AGOT geography and history.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9343 on: December 30, 2015, 07:32:07 pm »

Yeah. Since basically the whole north of England is ruled by two brothers, and just one unfortunate death from being united under one person; and southern England is ruled almost entirely by the Godwin dynasty; England is bound to have some strong rebellions if either of the invaders win. Particularly as the AI won't be able to replicate the kind of sweeping aristocide and "all your lands are belong to my Norman supporters now" strategy he used on southern England in real life, which makes his hold ingame much, much weaker. Just compare the results of your average de Normandy victory with how the "historical" results in a game start after 1067 looks: a few Norman conquered provinces with lots of of Godwin rulers left and the Hwicce brothers usually completely untouched and lots of Saxon lords remaining, contrasted with all of Godwin lands conquered, Norman lords everywhere, and one Hwicce brother completely declawed.

As for succeeding as Denmark... I just played the waiting game. Made sure I didn't get tangled up in another war somewhere (those early northern crusadesholy wars are always tempting), and keep watch out for the inevitable revolt, rather than throwing yourself into the 1066 conflict. Or at least wait until it looks like the end of the war is approaching for maximum raggedness of the enemy.

Also, should note, I gave the AGOT 1.0 mod a try the other day... yeah... Robert's Rebellion, playing Ned Stark, Start Game, Raise levies, Game Freezes. Not sure if actually 1.0 and really buggy, or if CK2 is just like that sometimes, either way, I realized while I'm often lost in regards to CK2 vanilla/real world geography and history, I'm even more lost in AGOT geography and history.

Yeah, I love the GoT mod, but the 1.0 is definitely not bugfree.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 07:36:56 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #9344 on: December 31, 2015, 04:11:40 pm »

Start up a new game in Armenia as a Zoroastrian, figured it'd be fun to try and go for the Zoroastrian Persian empire as a goal.

A few months in, rebellion by a bunch of my vassels who hate me for being an Infidel. Ok, no big deal. We're close in numbers and I call in my Allies, the Abyssids (I guess I'm a tributary of theirs). With their doomstacks the revolt is easily crushed. With all my main rivals captured I force their conversion and the kingdom is pretty stable. Awesome.

Fast forward one year...MASSIVE christian revolt happens with nearly every county in the kingdom revolting and about 6000 enemy troops to my 1000, and the Abyssids apparently can't get involved in this war.

Thanks, game. Thanks.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 1002