Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 632 633 [634] 635 636 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2011204 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #9495 on: February 02, 2016, 11:54:00 pm »

You can get a free South Indian portrait DLC from paradox's website.

To get the free DLC, simply follow these steps:

Login to your Paradox Account : https://accounts.paradoxplaza.com/ (make sure you've verified your email)
Go to the "Keys" tab
If you have connected your Paradox Account to your Steam account, just click the relevant "Activate" button
If not, then copy the key, and use the "Activate a Product on Steam" dialog in your Steam Client, in the Games drop-down menu

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9496 on: February 03, 2016, 12:33:38 am »

You can get a free South Indian portrait DLC from paradox's website.

To get the free DLC, simply follow these steps:

Login to your Paradox Account : https://accounts.paradoxplaza.com/ (make sure you've verified your email)
Go to the "Keys" tab
If you have connected your Paradox Account to your Steam account, just click the relevant "Activate" button
If not, then copy the key, and use the "Activate a Product on Steam" dialog in your Steam Client, in the Games drop-down menu
Connected repeatedly while it says my email is verified and nothing comes up. Irritating.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9497 on: February 03, 2016, 12:39:55 am »

so apparently the new DLC's coalitions are broken

karl goes and takes saxony and suddenly all of europe and the middle east form a coalition to stop him from expanding further

that seems a bit off

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9498 on: February 03, 2016, 12:45:04 am »

Here's a mod to remove it: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=571829131

I don't have the DLC but I'd probably use that as well, if Paradox doesn't nerf it into the ground before then.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9499 on: February 03, 2016, 12:53:53 am »

so apparently the new DLC's coalitions are broken
Not surprising in the slightest. The question becomes whether infamy acquisition and coalition distance is moddable so it is more likely to be properly unfucked.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9500 on: February 03, 2016, 06:26:14 am »

I thought I'd pick this game up while it's on sale; is the full package w/ 40+ addons (currently $40) worth it/necessary, or would it be better to get the base game and only some particular DLCs? I'm just a bit leery of paying such a sum if much of the additional content isn't particularly good.

Depends what you want out of the game. My understanding is that the following DLCs only add playable factions: Sword of Islam (muslims), The Republic (merchant republics), Rajas of India (Indians). According to CK2 wiki, Old Gods changes revolts a little bit but is otherwise mainly there to make Pagans playable. Horse Lords really fleshes out the steppe riders.

As someone who's interested in playing European Christian Lords, I won't be getting the above DLC except maybe for Old Gods. What I am interested in is Legacy of Rome (everyone harps about retinues, and it fleshes out Byzantines), Sons of Abraham (loads of events for Abrahamic religions) and possibly Charlemagne (it adds a Charlemagne story I'm not interested in, but also some interesting looking things like titular kingdoms and a chronicle).

Conclave seems to have some cool stuff but it's a bit too new for me to purchase. Way of Life seems to change some aspects enough that I'd rather play the base game before giving that a shot.

So with Legacy, Old Gods, Abraham and Charlemagne plus base game I'm looking at 25€ as opposed to 36€ of the complete pack (which as said lacks Charlemagne and adds DLC I have no interest in). That goes down to 20€ if Old Gods or Charlemagne is useless for my purposes. The game itself definitely looks worth 40$ and if you're not as European focused as I am you'll probably get your money's worth out of the big pack.

So uh... Old Gods. Are the revolt changes good? The wiki makes it look like it adds a good bit of flavour to them which I could really appreciate. I assume it all holds together mechanically as well?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 06:28:52 am by Delta Foxtrot »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9501 on: February 03, 2016, 09:12:34 am »

It's been a while since I played without. (Actually my last pre-Old Gods play through was quite a while back when it was either vanilla or very light on the DLC) But from what I remember, and what I've experienced recently, and what that wiki page has reminded me, I'd say that yes, the Revolt system in Old Gods is much better. I'm not sure if it's more realistic, as the revolters just sort of get handed a few counties and it sort of happens out of nowhere most of the time. Just a random event or pushed in the background, unseen by intriguing enemies. This seems a bit odd to me, but from a gameplay perspective, it works. It actually gives you a reasonable foe to fight rather than the old way of just the occasional scattered and weak army which were more of an annoyance than anything else unless you already had too much on your plate to deal with.

Also allows you to take advantage of revolts happening to enemies a little more as well, since it is a bigger issue for them as well. My latest 700 era unification of Sweden was very much helped out by a neighboring large tribe having a revolt happen which weakened them enough for me to swoop in and gobble them up.

Still, where old gods really shines is if you decide to play a pagan viking faction. I'd played them before, but it really does help out quite a bit in making them viable powers rather than hard mode challenges. Supposedly it's good for other pagan factions outside of the vikings as well, but I'm less adventurous there, I play what I know (or have a vague idea of anyway)

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9502 on: February 03, 2016, 10:47:45 am »

Heh, as I've heard, coalitions & shattered retreat are f*cked up. The players are whining already.
Perhaps it's not the best idea to install this new expansion right now.  ::)
..I mean..wtf? Ex.: "Coalitions could probably do with some adjusting. I've conquered a few territories in Sweden and seen characters as far away as Persia and Mali suddenly join a coalition against me."  :o
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 10:50:13 am by gimli »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9503 on: February 03, 2016, 10:50:01 am »

Have people forgotten about Moses's eleventh commandment?

Thou shalt not buy Paradox games on release day for they are always brokenth and requireth fixing.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9504 on: February 03, 2016, 10:54:23 am »

Well you could say that about anything on release day. It seems QA is not a big deal in the video game industry.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9505 on: February 03, 2016, 11:03:04 am »

Have people forgotten about Moses's eleventh commandment?

Thou shalt not buy Paradox games on release day for they are always brokenth and requireth fixing.

Well, I installed all expansions and DLCs on day one, and never had any serious problems with them..but now...I am going to wait for some tweaks.
It looks like that the coalitions mechanic is in a shitty condition with regard to balance...another example from the topic:
"Someone on Reddit did an experiment to see how intense coalitions could get. In the 1066 start as the HRE, they consoled in a a claim on the ERE, pressed it, and got so much infamy that the game would end before it it was gone and pretty much everyone in the world except Hungary was in a coalition against them."

Here are the images. -> http://imgur.com/a/bMgSK

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9506 on: February 03, 2016, 11:06:24 am »

Well, I installed all expansions and DLCs on day one, and never had any serious problems with them..but now...I am going to wait for some tweaks.
It looks like that the coalitions mechanic is in a shitty condition with regard to balance...another example from the topic:
"Someone on Reddit did an experiment to see how intense coalitions could get. In the 1066 start as the HRE, they consoled in a a claim on the ERE, pressed it, and got so much infamy that the game would end before it it was gone and pretty much everyone in the world except Hungary was in a coalition against them."

Infamy is capped at 100 so it will tick down long before.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9507 on: February 03, 2016, 11:10:50 am »

Infamy is capped at 100 so it will tick down long before.
I fail to see the problem.  If the Holy Roman Empire and the Eastern Roman Empire consolidated, not only are they a threat so big that the world should gang up on them, but they could actually win.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9508 on: February 03, 2016, 11:23:50 am »

I don't know..either way, the system needs tweaking, that is for sure. When you conquer some territories in England and some african or muslim AIs are forming a coalition against you because of that...well. No thanks.  :D
Everything is moddable, so maybe it will be fixed for the next CK+ release. [The devs will release a patch with some tweaks later on, I am pretty sure about it.]
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 11:27:18 am by gimli »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9509 on: February 03, 2016, 03:41:25 pm »

Perhaps it's not the best idea to install this new expansion right now.
Coalitions and shattered retreats are part of the free patch, not the DLC.

Also, regarding "now" they've been in EU4 since launch. I doubt Paradox is going to make them in any way not shit.
Pages: 1 ... 632 633 [634] 635 636 ... 1002