Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638] 639 640 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2009872 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #9555 on: February 08, 2016, 10:18:24 pm »

Bear Invasion? What do you mean? Do bears invade from Russia after you deal with the Aztec doomstack?

Secret bears

I wonder if this has to do with that D&D story, where a player was literally a bear with really high disguise and bluff skills who posed as a human gentleman

All I can think of...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9556 on: February 09, 2016, 12:16:46 am »

wow i gave away all the kingdoms in my empire

don't do that, you need the backup in case you get a case of the factions

...actually, in the byzantine case i'm getting this experience from the varangian guard makes factions jokes since it's not taken into account by their numbers and it's basically a superlevy on top of the rest of your levies, but whatever

but still, all of greece coming up in revolution can be slightly scary

try to keep greece

EDIT: that can probably be generalized to "give away the fringe kingdoms if you give any away at all", I definitely like giving fringe kingdoms to some belligerent, ambitious pillweefs and watching them take over the neighbors without any infamy gain or truces on my part
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 12:18:34 am by Putnam »

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9557 on: February 09, 2016, 08:45:59 am »

Conclave Dev Diary #5 Post Launch

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nice, important tweaks. [& next song button? YAY!  :D]

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9558 on: February 09, 2016, 09:02:21 am »

How quick is Paradox when it comes to post-expansion patching? Are we talking about roughly a week or +2 weeks? Or is this a particularly fucked up release and no one knows?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9559 on: February 09, 2016, 09:13:07 am »

Probably a week. The only real major problem is that inheritance may be bugged (if a duke and duchess (both independent) have child, the child will only inherit from the first of them to die).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9560 on: February 09, 2016, 11:08:32 am »

Probably a week. The only real major problem is that inheritance may be bugged (if a duke and duchess (both independent) have child, the child will only inherit from the first of them to die).

Concur.  Paradox patching is quick!1

1 On their active titles, such as this one.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9561 on: February 11, 2016, 09:28:56 am »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9562 on: February 11, 2016, 09:52:29 am »

I usually just use the 3 holy sites in Scandinavia to reform. I just wage 10-20 conquests against the other pagans in the area to boost MA to 50%.

Unless the Germans/Franks have conquered Sjaeland before I can it generally works pretty well.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9563 on: February 11, 2016, 09:58:59 am »

Raiding/burning down temples also gives you MA no matter whose temples they are. Raiding a bunch of tribal Slavs/Irish/whatever is also an option if you just need a few more points.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9564 on: February 11, 2016, 10:00:33 am »

Apparently I'm too stupid for this game.
I've tried 4 times so far but every time my first character dies and my heir takes over I lose 2 years later.

It always goes the same way:
- Start new game as count, because I figured having to watch over only one county must be easier then trying to rule a kingdom.
- Spend 20 years producing babies, getting rid of retainers that hate me too much and building up my county.
- By now everyone, from other lowly counts to the frikkin' kaiser, thinks I'm the most awesome guy since Jesus and worships the air I farted into.
- I die of [insert cause of death here] and suddenly my usually popular heir turns into the love child of Hitler and Stalin.
- Half the kingdom is at -20 opinion (or worse) and 10 different unrelated people start making up claims to my county.
- They invade, The End.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9565 on: February 11, 2016, 10:28:56 am »

Apparently I'm too stupid for this game.
I've tried 4 times so far but every time my first character dies and my heir takes over I lose 2 years later.

It always goes the same way:
- Start new game as count, because I figured having to watch over only one county must be easier then trying to rule a kingdom.
- Spend 20 years producing babies, getting rid of retainers that hate me too much and building up my county.
- By now everyone, from other lowly counts to the frikkin' kaiser, thinks I'm the most awesome guy since Jesus and worships the air I farted into.
- I die of [insert cause of death here] and suddenly my usually popular heir turns into the love child of Hitler and Stalin.
- Half the kingdom is at -20 opinion (or worse) and 10 different unrelated people start making up claims to my county.
- They invade, The End.

It's actually easiest to learn the game as a small king or as the emperor of the Byzantines. Small kingdoms are pretty strong but don't have a huge number of vassals to juggle, the Byzantine emperor on the other hand is so powerful as an individual that they can stomp most of the empire in when it rebels through powerful levies, retinues and the Varangian Guard.

In many ways playing as a count is hard mode unless you directly serve your lands highest liege and suck up to them massively, or are independent and expanding in a place like tribal Ireland or Mali.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9566 on: February 11, 2016, 07:36:54 pm »

People often recommend giving a count or duke in Ireland a go. It's a good way to get comfortable with the game. Ireland is isolated and everyone within is independent so you don't have to worry about big messy alliances screwing things up too much. The progression from a count to a duke with few or no vassals to a king with few vassals feels very natural. Having played a few different starts there, it feels like a good place to learn the basic systems before I venture into continental Europe with it's kingdoms and empires.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9567 on: February 11, 2016, 07:52:14 pm »

The Iberian peninsula was also an interesting start.  The three/four catholic kingdoms there are all ruled by the same family.  So if you can get them murdered fast enough, you can inherit the other kingdoms and unify them.  And then you can use your more powerful armies and holy war your way south, no need to wait ages for claims to be fabricated.

Although in my game, the southern Islam kingdom fractured from a decadence revolt or something, which made them way easier to fight and take over.

Ireland is generally considered the safest start though, at least in the default time.  Unless you start earlier in Old Gods or something, nobody's going to bother you from outside the island.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9568 on: February 11, 2016, 08:00:03 pm »

When you start with the Jiménez dynasty (catholic iberia 1066), Al-Andalus is broken up for some reason or another from the very start, so it's fairly easy there.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 08:03:35 pm by Putnam »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9569 on: February 11, 2016, 08:50:32 pm »

When you start with the Jiménez dynasty (catholic iberia 1066), Al-Andalus is broken up for some reason or another from the very start, so it's fairly easy there.
Representing the First Taifa Period, most likely.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638] 639 640 ... 1002