Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 489 490 [491] 492 493 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2010865 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #7350 on: February 16, 2015, 07:16:02 pm »

In my Miroslav World Empire game, things accelerated in pace at such a speed that I needed to pause and strategize. To cut the long story short, the Ilkhanate continued its Northward march until it invaded Serbian Rus. The Serbian Empire took offense to this and dispatched a gargantuan mobilization of Serbian troops; I saved and quit when the Golden Horde subsequently also arrived.

I was growing used to the clash of great powers with hundreds of thousands of troops marching to war to the tune of grand diplomacy, and wished to experience once more the humble beginnings of Serbia, when every day was perilous and even a single peasant's revolt was enough to outnumber the Kingdom's entire military.

And so I started as the Duchy of Rashka. Raided the Byzantine Empire, the Bulgarians, conquered the Slovenians and became a scourge on the Bavarian country side. Things were going very well, when the Byzantine Empire invaded their war was stopped by a hasty conversion to Iconoclasticism, which had replaced Orthodoxy. In the third generation of Miroslav Kings an Orthodox Basilius took the throne and reestablished Orthodoxy as the main branch of Eastern Christianity, dooming Serbia to destruction by endless Cataphracts and Holy War cbs. Sure enough Serbia fell, obliterated.

Absolutely enjoying this sort of play I started in the Duchy of Rashka once more, and began brushing up my planning skills to make the Serbian Kingdom thrive and survive - spreading the Miroslav family across Europe without a single Serbian soldier setting foot on foreign Kingdoms. The rules were stricter this time, at the end of the day the main dynasty was to permanently hold de jure Serbia, Bosnia and Ohrid. Hostile takeovers were still allowed of course, but not nearly to the same extent or spirit as the first challenge was - Serbia would never even reach the status of Empire, let alone hold two Kingdom titles at any one moment.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If I cannot secure either Lombardy or Francia the Byzantine empire will come back and Serbia will fall. Machiavelli said auxiliaries were dangerous and useless, mercenaries were dangerous and useless - and the last Serbian-Byzantine war proved that just as much. Kiev auxiliaries merely accelerated the defeat of Serbia and Bavarian auxiliaries failed to show up in time. When they did show up, they got invaded by the Western Roman Empire. The mercenaries themselves were useless; providing no great victory, and had to be disbanded lest they try to conquer Serbia. In such a way Serbia must provide for its own safety with Miroslav soldiers. And the only way to do that is to force every major power in Europe to become Miroslav.

There is some comfort to be had in that Lombardy now attacks the Byzantine Empire and a peasant's revolt within the Byzantine Empire is almost at victory's edge. The 1,500 gold spent on the Byzantine war was not spent in vain - the Byzantine Empire just opened the door to its enemies over the pitiful county of Ohrid.

*Edit
The Kingdoms that the Karling blob has conquered will be split amongst the three youngest surviving sons. One will get West Francia, one will get Bavaria and the one in between those two will get every single other Kingdom. West Francia and Bavaria will at least be likely Miroslavs, and Bavaria ruled by a Miroslav King with Miroslav dukes.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:35:53 pm by Loud Whispers »

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7351 on: February 16, 2015, 07:34:31 pm »

Did something update today?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7352 on: February 16, 2015, 10:11:56 pm »

The trick with dodging the holy wars is to use the 'abandon heresy' decision if Orthodoxy reestablishes itself. In my experience you basically get 3 'free' passes against the Byzantines: the first holy war when you convert from Slavic Paganism to Iconoclast, the second holy war after they (probably) convert to Orthodoxy and you abandon Iconoclasm, and the de jure war where you let them take Ohrid (I never ended up giving them it, but it's a pretty painless loss if they do take it). If you can nab Dalmatia while they're distracted/weak, then all you need is to last 100 years for Croatia and Serbia to drift into whatever empire you've formed (probably Carpathia), and they'll leave you alone basically forever. Better yet if you can manage it, forming a custom empire automatically makes your kingdoms de jure, instantly getting the Byzantines off your case, which is very possible if you holy war the Slavs enough.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7353 on: February 16, 2015, 10:14:12 pm »

Did something update today?
Quote from: Patch Notes
MAJOR:
- Fixed issues in lobby when players were loading saves

CONVERTER:
- Added copy folder to sunset invasion scenario conversion

Apparently, it was mostly to prepare the converter for El Dorado.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7354 on: February 17, 2015, 09:27:44 am »

Looks like the game is free to play until the 23rd. Remember you can do multiplayer with all the dlc so long as the host has it!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7355 on: February 17, 2015, 03:16:26 pm »

The trick with dodging the holy wars is to use the 'abandon heresy' decision if Orthodoxy reestablishes itself. In my experience you basically get 3 'free' passes against the Byzantines: the first holy war when you convert from Slavic Paganism to Iconoclast, the second holy war after they (probably) convert to Orthodoxy and you abandon Iconoclasm, and the de jure war where you let them take Ohrid (I never ended up giving them it, but it's a pretty painless loss if they do take it). If you can nab Dalmatia while they're distracted/weak, then all you need is to last 100 years for Croatia and Serbia to drift into whatever empire you've formed (probably Carpathia), and they'll leave you alone basically forever. Better yet if you can manage it, forming a custom empire automatically makes your kingdoms de jure, instantly getting the Byzantines off your case, which is very possible if you holy war the Slavs enough.
That's the thing though, by the time you're swapping religions around you're screwed, dropping hundreds or even thousands of prestige and piety. When you're a short reign 3rd gen monarch of a small Balkan state you're not getting that piety or prestige back until you're in your 40s because your nobles and priests will be rebelling non-stop and you'll be out of gold because no one pays you anything.
You wouldn't even be able to kill yourself because you'd be too young to have a suitable heir to take the reigns. Hence why you've got to convert to non-heresy Jesusanity, Mohammedanity, or die. The former removes the Holy War cb, the latter gives you Abbasid blob protection.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7356 on: February 17, 2015, 05:11:26 pm »

I never actually considered becoming kebab, but that actually sounds really fun. How would you go about it? Invite a single kebabess to your court while still a pagan, marry her and convert?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7357 on: February 17, 2015, 05:45:56 pm »

I never actually considered becoming kebab, but that actually sounds really fun. How would you go about it? Invite a single kebabess to your court while still a pagan, marry her and convert?
I suppose so. Though now that I consider it, it seems like you'd be throwing yourself out of the coach and into the train tracks; if the Byzantine Empire didn't take over your Emirate, the Abbasid blob would.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7358 on: February 17, 2015, 06:07:51 pm »

Now I have a new game goal -- Rule Serbia, Insert Kebab.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7359 on: February 17, 2015, 06:13:48 pm »

For anyone interested, Gog started selling the original Crusader Kings today.  It includes the expansion.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7360 on: February 17, 2015, 06:16:09 pm »

For anyone interested, Gog started selling the original Crusader Kings today.  It includes the expansion.

Joke's on you, I still *own* it!

Was a very well made purchase, in my opinion.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7361 on: February 17, 2015, 06:42:47 pm »

Paradox gave it to me for free.
Love, scriver~

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7362 on: February 17, 2015, 09:33:51 pm »

It's easier as a Slavic pagan than as a Norse, but send out your raiders, grab any old kebabhag, concubine her, convert to concubine religion.

Did it as a Norse scandi republic, Shiite.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7363 on: February 17, 2015, 09:35:43 pm »

It's easier as a Slavic pagan than as a Norse, but send out your raiders, grab any old kebabhag, concubine her, convert to concubine religion.

Did it as a Norse scandi republic, Shiite.

... I never knew you could do that. Bugger.

Ah well, I'm happy just converting everyone to Germanic anyway.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7364 on: February 18, 2015, 12:16:16 am »

Paradox, there are MANY problems with your game. But the one that basically just utterly made me lose interest in playing you for the next... month, is being unable to fucking change a holding.

That's a genius idea, by the way. Have a limited resource (holdings, and good provinces with many holding slots), make it REALLY EXPENSIVE to use it, and then make the AI utterly fucking retarded in using it, without giving you a single fucking way to do a single fucking thing about it.

What's that? You want to fill out the best fucking cluster of Indian provinces I've found so far with fucking ten thousand fucking castles? Oh?! NOT cities? You want to be poor, you piece of shit?

Fuck you, Paradox. Fuck. You. Ruined an impossibly hard ironman Nestorian India game just with that single fucking problem.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 489 490 [491] 492 493 ... 1002