Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2010646 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #7545 on: April 08, 2015, 12:28:39 pm »

Yeah, most of the interesting scenarios I can think of all involve playing different factions.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7546 on: April 08, 2015, 12:33:01 pm »

So, I'm looking for a fun idea for a game. I'm starting to feel like everything is too easy... Any idea? (Mods are okay, but I can only play christian characters or need to buy more DLCs)
Zunbil in CM or Zoroastrians in Old Gods are pretty hard, at least in my opinion. Or you could go and play as the Latin Empire in later start dates... or just do achievements, I guess.

Is he zealous?
No. Besides, zealous still have the option, just are unable to actually select it. The option is not on the menu at all.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7547 on: April 08, 2015, 01:04:46 pm »

Well, I actually played with all DLCs but CM, back when I was still pirating the game. I already created a Jewish Empire out of that 1 county Khazar Jew for example. I'm not adverse to buying one or two more DLCs if I have a nice scenario/challenge behind though.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7548 on: April 08, 2015, 03:05:36 pm »

So I stared my first Ironman game in the old gods start as what would become Russ.  So far so good, most of my neighbors are weak and easily absorbed.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7549 on: April 09, 2015, 04:23:30 am »

In the south, the Seljuks revelled in their new god Tawusę Melek, shunning the worship of Allah for the worship of Allah's chiefest sons, the proudest one, the Peacock Angel, who refused to bow to Ādem, and was rewarded for his independence by leading the heptad of the Seven Mysteries, the Heft Sirr.

Their Sheikh Alp Yurek used his people's newfound faith as a weapon, whipping them into a religious fervour. The Seljuk Turks and their Kurdish brothers would rule in the north.
And so it happened that the Sheikh sent a message to the Emperor in Constantinople, Basileus Sergios Ua Briain the Just, an aging man in his sixties, none the less a powerful ruler and worthy foe that the Kingdom of Armenia now belonged to the Seljuk Sultanate.

Of course, as the guardians of Christianity in the East, the Catholic Byzantine Empire could not and would not bend the knee to the Seljuks, and so Sergios sent an envoy straight back to Alp Yurek containg some... choice words for the Yazidi Sheikh.

And thus it happened that the Seljuk Sultanate declared war - Alp Yurek spat an old Sunni curse, that he wished Sergios sewn up in the belly of a camel.

Alas, but that was not going to happen.

All across the Byzantine Empire, from Iceland to Eire, from Alba to Breizh, to the furthest reaches of the Byzants in Finnmark, a lonely province in Finnish lands, and naturally to the heartland of the Empire, thousands upon thousands of men began preparing for war.

The force arrayed against them was not small - the mighty Seljuks claimed to be able to call upon a hundred thousand men at a moment's notice, and their land stretched as far as distant India that the Hellenes once ruled over one and a half thousand years prior.

Truthfully, Sergios worried that his army would reach Armenia in time to defend it - with so much land spread over such a long distance, it would take time to bring his men together.
In his younger years, Sergios had conquered the Golden Horde, crushed it beneath his boot, spat in the face of the young Khan Arkhai of Itil and made it Greek... but this, this was altogether different.

Sergios estimated that his army was only enough to meet the mighty Yazidi army in Armenia by a small amount - bringing all men he could together, he outnumbered the Seljuk army 1.1:1.

Thus, he hired what holy orders he could, and sent off many diplomats to foreign nations asking for help against those once-were-Mahommedans.

The Greek Golden Horde, a vastly diminished shadow of its former Mongol Glory, but nonetheless still an Empire made up of three provinces, Diadora, Venezia and a small distant English province were the first to respond - they sent their entire force of three thousand Mongol-Greek soldiers - cataphracts and Mongol Horse Archers fighting together was a sight to see.
These Mongol-Greeks were ruled by Sergios's younger brother Andronikos - with much of the old Golden Horde broken and independent, it was unlikely Andronikos could muster much power more than any Byzantine Doux.

The Knights of Calatrava in distant Sicilian Castille, ruled by a cousin, the Grandmaster Belisarios Ua Briain refused the call to arms - they would only respond if they were duly paid for their services defending Christendom. Sergios was rumoured to have punched a hole in an old painting of Belisarios upon learning this - in their youth, they were firm friends, but with such time and distance, what friendship they had was long gone.

And so it was that the arrayed armies of Byzantium came to the fore of the battle - one flank of thirty two thousand men, led by two Douxs, all known for their skill in battle, Doux Belisarios the Cruel of Thrace, Doux Theocharistos of Trebizond, and a lowborn Mayor's son, Hierotheos, who despite barely being better than peasantry was a mighty general in his own right.

In the second flank was Sergios himself, and two Dukes who were skillful leaders, though not great generals. This one held approximately twenty thousand men.

In the third flank were various Counts and minor Dukes who wished to make themselves worthy in the defense of Armenia, mixed in with the leaders of the Teutonic Order and the Knights Hospitaller. They numbered approximately fifteen thousand.

Two more flanks were yet to approach - the Irish-Icelandic-Scottish-Breizh combined force, and the northwestern Byzants of Croatia and Serbia - when all were finally there, the first battle was underway.

The Battle of Jermuk in Armenia was a titanic one - fifty thousand men, made up of Belisarios and his general's armies, as well as Sergios and his leader's armies faced off against twenty-five thousand angry Seljuks.

It began as a terrified race to join the flanks up - the Seljuks attacked Sergio's flank before Belisarios and his troops could manoeuvre into position in Jermuk, causing serious losses.

By the Battle of Jermuk's end, the Byzantine armies had lost 14,104 men to the Seljuks, but the Seljuks were routed to the last man, all 25,154 soldiers lay dead in Jermuk.

The battered Byzantine soldiers regrouped in Paphlogonia, still waiting on the distant forces to replenish their lost men.

It was then, sitting in the war camp, that Sergios received word from King Pal of Hungary that he wished to join in the defense of Armenia - of course, how could Sergios do anything but accept? Anything that preserved Byzantium was welcome.
Not a day later, a distant cousin sent word from the tiny Kingdom of Bohemia - a King who had managed the throne, despite two very obvious handicaps - he was a bastard, and he was Jewish in a sea of Catholicism. "From one Ua Briain to another, I offer my help."

Six thousand men set off from Bohemia, and fifteen thousand more from Hungary to join up with the Irish forces that had just sailed to Constantinople - welcome reinforcements.
Even the Pope sent his formal declaration of alliance with Sergios, though no Papal soldiers joined the fight before it was eventually won, it was the thought that counted.
Shortly after the arrival of the European flanks in Constantinople, the Seljuks regrouped sharply and the battle of Ararat began.
Forty-seven thousand Byzantine soldiers met thirty-one thousand seljuks in the plains of Ararat north of the mountains where Noah is said to have come to rest, and the general leading the Byzants was none other than the low-born Hierotheos. Despite difficult terrain, the Byzantine army lost nine thousand, five hundred men, while the Seljuks lost twenty-three thousand. A fitting victory, and the remaining eight thousand Seljuks were chased out of Armenia by Sergios's retinue of nine thousand cataphracts.

Sergios killed the general's personal guard himself, wiped his blade clean and pointed it at the throat of the general, Burak Togtekinoglu of house Bozan, an unremarkable man.

It is said that Sergios, a man in his sixties, standing in gleaming armor streaked with the blood of Seljuks, made the Yazidi general right there weep.

After the two titanic clashes of Ararati and Jermuk, the Seljuk army was nearly totally routed - prime time for Sergios and his three generals to advance forward and begin sieging the northern holdings of the Sultanate.
It did not take long at all before the Sheikh Alp Yurek sent his declaration of surrender, paying war reparations just about bankrupted the Seljuks, leaving them with only a few gold in their coffers.

Feeling ever more powerful, Basileus Sergios announced a day of celebration across the entire empire.
Truly a glorious day, the hordes of the Peacock Angel dashed against the Cross and came off worst.

Spoiler:  Triumph! (click to show/hide)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7550 on: April 09, 2015, 09:03:47 am »

Lovely read but gotta spoiler them walls of text m9

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7551 on: April 09, 2015, 09:53:46 am »

Well, I actually played with all DLCs but CM, back when I was still pirating the game. I already created a Jewish Empire out of that 1 county Khazar Jew for example. I'm not adverse to buying one or two more DLCs if I have a nice scenario/challenge behind though.

Euh... :o On a side note: the game offers no real challenge for an experienced player, so I only play MP games nowadays [...mostly 2-4 player games]. It's extremely fun and challenging as well.  8)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 10:05:04 am by gimli »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7552 on: April 09, 2015, 12:28:45 pm »

Well, I should try to find/organize some nice MP game then. Who would be up for one, probably about European time?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7553 on: April 09, 2015, 12:42:27 pm »

So, I'm looking for a fun idea for a game. I'm starting to feel like everything is too easy... Any idea? (Mods are okay, but I can only play christian characters or need to buy more DLCs)

There's a new Warhammer total conversion mod that's buggy but enjoyable.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7554 on: April 10, 2015, 06:16:06 am »

Well, I should try to find/organize some nice MP game then. Who would be up for one, probably about European time?

I will be up for some.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7555 on: April 10, 2015, 03:39:41 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tl;dr, Serbia is safe. Really, really, safe. The whole bloody world is practically Miroslav. To the North is a Miroslav Empire, to the West three Miroslav Empires and to the East the Miroslav Byzantine Empire and Miroslav asia. Even if every single Empire outside of Serbia becomes decidedly non-Miroslav it doesn't matter; they will serve their purpose as useful buffers to the Mongols and the Aztecs. Nearly 50,000 elite Gusars guard the Papacy in Rome so no Pope will ever be able to rebel and no one will ever be able to replace the Pope with their own antipope. Serbia itself is one of the most well-fortified countries on the planet and for the first time ever, Belgrad is more advanced than Constantinople. Once Serbian technology leeches through to India, India will be a superpower.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7556 on: April 10, 2015, 06:35:01 pm »

How do your cultures change so fast? I've had games go on for 200 years as a Pictish ruler and not one Anglo-Saxon province has changed culture.
Spoiler: Wall o text (click to show/hide)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7557 on: April 12, 2015, 05:16:43 pm »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7558 on: April 12, 2015, 06:54:00 pm »

Ah, brilliant. I wish I could put as much detail into my AARs as you, Whispy!

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #7559 on: April 14, 2015, 01:51:30 pm »

I never really paid much attention to the prepared invasion CB. I realized recently that it gives you all controlled territories, not limited to the target kingdom.

Cue me starting a game as Hwicce in Charlemagne, getting my son converted to Germanic faith (and then Welsh culture, just for fun). Main guy dies right after start of viking age and after I have a decent little bit of land in England, giving me a nice little foothold there with the Germanic conquest CB. A few battles later I have a few more lands in England (just under 40 total holdings) and enough prestige to do a prepared invasion. Charlemagne happens to have united West/Central/East Francia as well as Aquitane and Burgundy and Frisia and just generally a huge blob of land. Declare on him to prepare invasion on Aquitane, and off I go.

I only managed to raise 10k guys from the events, but I had some money saved up from looting everyone in England and hired all the mercenaries I could (only 3 companies, but better than nothing). Thankfully poor ol' Charlemagne was already fighting with his neighbor Lombardy so I was able to use my combined forces to mop up his troops and begin sieging everything, starting with coastal counties which I also looted to get me a buffer of gold to pay for the years of mercenaries. After a forty or so year war and thousands of gold paid to the mercenaries, I won. Made peace and created the Kingdom of Hwicce - De Jure holdings include all of Frisia, Burgundy, West and Central Francia, most of East Francia, part of Bavaria, and parts of England. Total of 358 holdings.

I missed out on Aquitaine because those darn Swedes decided to jump on the bandwagon at the last minute and marched a 15000 man army in and took Aquitane right out from under me by capturing his last few holdings down there and making peace before I finished sieging Burgundy, but I got enough land to be happy.

Great thing is in all those years I was breeding relatives, and now have enough relatives to give most of the land to them. Many of the relatives are still Christian, with about half being Germanic, so this should be interesting after this king (now in his 60s) dies.

So this is the first time I managed to conquer an HRE sized chunk of land starting as a single county duke by the end of 832. Prepared invasion is so OP haha.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 1002