Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 504 505 [506] 507 508 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2010673 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #7575 on: April 19, 2015, 08:32:31 pm »

Or you could capture Egypt and pillage India :)
I get the feeling I've done that before...

blazing glory

« Reply #7576 on: April 22, 2015, 11:34:53 pm »

Is it possible to save characters made in the ruler designer? It's getting a tad annoying recreating them every time I start a new game.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7577 on: April 22, 2015, 11:49:59 pm »

You could make a mod that replaced the ruler of whatever title you wanted to play at the time with the ruler you designed, but that would probably take just as much or more effort.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7578 on: April 23, 2015, 02:52:52 pm »

An ecclesiarch means orthodoxy, so it appears the question is, did you land any of them as bishops?  Do you have bishops who aren't already assigned to another council position, who are not incapable of imprisoned, and who share the same religion as you?  From the Wiki...

Except for Muslims, the only rulers who may be chaplains are those whose primary holding is a temple (bishops, etc.). Orthodox and Miaphysite chaplains (and those of their respective heresies) must be bishops.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 02:54:37 pm by Culise »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7579 on: April 23, 2015, 06:30:08 pm »

Emperor Visarion III of Serbia has finally consolidated all of India into the de jure Serbian Empire, whilst also recreating the Arabian Empire. In total Emperor Visarion III holds 5 Empire titles (3 now being titular), commands 230,000 soldiers including: the 5 Catholic Holy Orders, 23,000 mercenaries, 50,000 Gusars and 24,000 personal levies.
70,000-90,000 of the levies can't be counted on as they belong to Kingdoms that chronically scheme for independence, the 50,000 Gusars are eternally guarding the Papacy in Rome on account of them being irreplaceable, the Holy Orders and mercenaries are useful but are also chronic independence schemers on account of their leaders always being foreigners and the 24,000 levies must be kept alive to keep a check on the 70-90k of dubious loyalty. What's left over is spent putting down rebellions, or stuck in India, or both.
I feel like I've created monsters. I am proud, and terrified, of the fact that the other Miroslav Empires have grown far beyond Serbia's means to control them. The Empire of Germania, Francia and the Byzantines treat the Serbians as equals and rivals, as does the United Kingdoms of Britain; only the Empire of Carpathia and the United Kingdoms of Burgundy & Balochistan still require Serbian support. Serbia's role as mediator and power broker is over... In 1128 Serbia intervened in the Francian-German war and saw 20,000 English soldiers appear outside Rome on behalf of Germany. Emperor Visarion II and Emperor Visarion III didn't even try intervening in the wars between the Kaiser and the Basilius, nor any of the other vast wars between the Miroslav Empires, instead only endeavouring to support Carpathian and Byzantine efforts to eat into the lands of the east and north, whilst limiting Serbian commitment of troops to Miroslav wars to 20-40,000 soldiers per campaign.
Rather symbolically, Serbia's mercenary army was defeated for the first time. By the Abyssinian Empire no less; after having deposed the puppet Emperor the Serbians imposed twice a rather more complicated situation arose. Due to some legal inheritance nonsense a Solomonid Prince in the court of Serbia inherited the Kingdom of Egypt, bringing Egypt into the Serbian fold. This was something neither Serbia nor Abyssinia nor Solomonid wanted, but ended up getting stuck with all the same. War was inevitable. Caught between destroying Swedish separatists within the Carpathian Empire up north and dealing with the Solomonid attempt to reunite the Solomonid Kingdoms by force was possible with Emperor Visarion III's vast gold reserves. Having been defeated surely in the 2nd battle of Faras, where 6,000 Serbian levies reinforced the mercenary force, the Abyssinian Empire descended into civil war and infighting that gave the Serbs the chance to rescue the Carpathian Empire and nurse it back to health. Emperor Visarion also had to bail the Kingdom of Balochistan & Burgundy (held by the same King) out after it became indebted to the Ferzadid Dynasty by over 1,400 gold for failing to defeat it in war. After which the Francian Miroslavs attacked its holdings in Burgundy. Perhaps even better, was that the Queen of Balochistan/Burgundy and the Emperor of Francia were both married and had consummated their marriage. Emperor Roger the Young and Queen Keratza of Balochistan had some serious issues, as did Emperor Visarion III's marriage - his wife viewed him as a rival (she was a claimant to the Empire) and was the daughter of his great grandfather.
One of the things unique to this world of titanic imperial powers is that the marriages have gotten especially savage and political. The French, Hispanian, Balochistan crowns could potentially merge into one superstate that would end Serbian hegemony in all of Europe due to marriage, and the great Carpathian revolt which saw all of Carpathia bar the county of Pest revolt.
Carpathia fell to a non-Miroslav, which motivated Serbia to move her allies to war and set up all possible claimants to bring the largest Empire by landmass back into the Miroslav fold. It worked, but also meant that pretenders were many. The first to bring major force to bear was Josip Miroslav of Pannonia, who tried to bring himself to the throne by his faction. Josip was Emperor Visarion II's son in law by virtue of being married to his daughter, but after she died of Pneumonia Emperor Visarion II joined the war against him. Before Josip's rebellion ended Sigtrygg the 'Ill Ruler' of Sweden tried to fight for independence for Carpathian Sweden, whilst his wife Ozlem Miroslav tried to press her own claim and become ruler of Carpathia - one seeking to become Empress, the other seeking independence from his wife or his in laws.

Rather interesting outside of the clusterfuck that is Europe, the Ferzadid Empire of Zoroastrian Balochistanis has pushed further into Turk Tengris to try and escape Byzantine encroachment, and the Kingdom of Gujarat within India has become a theocracy somehow.
If all the Kingdoms within India were not Miroslav held, I would turn all of them into theocracies on purpose - knowing that with free investiture I would be able to appoint only the most competent and loyal ministers... I suppose that requires you to hold the Papacy to not avoid screwing yourself over any time a popular Pope shows up. But it's a worthy prize.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7580 on: April 25, 2015, 04:00:24 pm »

Also England declared independence from their Irish and Welsh overlords, then got invaded by Scotland and Cornwall, tip kek.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7581 on: April 25, 2015, 04:15:03 pm »

Using HIP with their custom map.

What year and location would you recommend? I really like Byzantines. But want something new. Maybe a vassal or leader, whatever is interesting.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7582 on: April 26, 2015, 09:08:44 pm »

So, playing Game of Thrones mod. And I'm really enjoying it.

No cheats at all (Ironman mode), and ruler designer is left as is.

I started in Dragonstone, and custom made a dragon family (you can play as dragons if you use ruler designer). I gave myself...I think it was strong, genius, lunatic...and that other one...ruthless? I think thats it. Plus I gave myself a dragon egg (cause I'm a dragon) and took some negative traits too off-set it. I focused the leader to be more of a fighter, than anything and his 2 sons and 1 daughter (started married with children) I planned to be more of the diplomats and stuff.

Well, I started in the year where Robert has first taken the throne and started his empire. I'm his vassal. I pretend to be nice to him, cheer him on, attend his feast he did and accept his job offer. I even join a small little civil war that started up not too far into the game.

All while planning to have him quickly assassinated. And I think assassination stuff is pretty overpowered :P I can see why they nerfed it in HIP...but hey its game of thrones :P

And by luck (I guess) the power went to 320 something percent (guess he had powerful enemies) and he was killed off. I did start a test game, and if I had waited another few months, it wouldn't have worked at all (power would only be 29% and pretty much wouldn't happen)...so since I had just started the game (with the entire plan to kill robert and either destroy the throne or take it, whatever happened first) I guess he has enemies really early on.

I then take out the next in line for the throne who inherited...even easier than Robert as far less people like him. He too is killed off. No one liked him anyway. And he was rather stupid and weak.

A child then takes the throne. Should be easy, its a 7 year old.

4 failed attempts and the child finds out its me.

I picture it like one of those old silent black and white comedies. A bunch of hilarious assassins running around trying to kill a young child. "Lets try pushing him off a building!" (ahh I slipped off the kid threw a banana peel he finished eating)..."lets try ambushing him" (well we just got ran over by the carts)...finally the 5th attempt was a snake and the child died. And then everyone forgot it was me...:P

Leaving a 2nd young child (5 years old) to be ruler of the iron throne. At this point, I leave him be and watch what happens.

And as I expected, the entire iron empire collapses into multiple little empires. Iron throne no longer exists but a little tiny remnant of what it once was. Seeing my chance of freedom (and one of my ambitions was to be independent) was to declare war for... the iron throne. I hire a few mercenaries, get my vassals ready for war...get a fleet...

And face an army of 20k defenders, but its my 14k army and a bunch of other dudes wanting power.

It was actually very easy at this point since there was so much war going on, the defenders of the iron throne (it was named something else now) pretty much were incredibly weak. I get 100% win score...in time too as the iron throne king regained most of his land back some how (he must have won a lot of battles). I see a 200k army coming toward my 8k army...but because I had 100% win (and if I had waited a few seconds I'd have lost everything)...I force the kid to surrender and now a bunch of dragons rule the Iron Throne.

So now my dragon guy rules a HUGE empire with doom stacks at the ready.

Also, everyone under me likes me :D I even got a message that the empire was stable and at peace (for now...)

Now my question for you guys. Should I keep it in the family (heh heh) and only have (most anyway, I'd attempt to marry my dragons to others (really hard)) my dragons inter-breed with each other? Keep my dragon religion, and stay the course. Cause since no one likes my religion its very hard to find anyone to marry my dragons (that sounds like adult rated bestiality right there now that I think about it rofl).

Or should I expand my dynasty, but also switch to the religion of the Seven (or whatever its called)...since most everyone under me and is part of the Iron Throne is that religion and then I can get marriage and actually be liked. It would make my empire a lot more stable, and I can marry my dragons off to others.

I know I could just use my priest guy to spread my current religion too, which I guess might be an answer.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7583 on: April 26, 2015, 09:17:15 pm »

It's usually fairly easy to convert people to your religion. I start a lot of games as literally the only person in the world with a religion, like Celtic or Egyptian in Pagan mods, or Fraticelli or other heresies, or Nestorian in Socotra. As long as they're your vassal (Kings might be special) and like you at least 30 relations, they'll fairly readily convert to your religion, and usually convert most of their vassals sooner or later. And if they're imprisoned, they'll be forced to convert if you ask them, in return for being freed. So you can pretty easily convert half the empire within a single paused moment if you don't mind spending a couple dozen minutes going through your vassals and picking people with high relation (Character ledger works great for this, since you can sort by relation and rank)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7584 on: April 26, 2015, 09:29:31 pm »

It's usually fairly easy to convert people to your religion. I start a lot of games as literally the only person in the world with a religion, like Celtic or Egyptian in Pagan mods, or Fraticelli or other heresies, or Nestorian in Socotra. As long as they're your vassal (Kings might be special) and like you at least 30 relations, they'll fairly readily convert to your religion, and usually convert most of their vassals sooner or later. And if they're imprisoned, they'll be forced to convert if you ask them, in return for being freed. So you can pretty easily convert half the empire within a single paused moment if you don't mind spending a couple dozen minutes going through your vassals and picking people with high relation (Character ledger works great for this, since you can sort by relation and rank)
Yeah, it's pretty easy. Kings and emperors are no special in this regard. You will need to kill or imprison zealous characters, though.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7585 on: April 26, 2015, 10:16:57 pm »

You're wrong about that, GoT mod makes forced conversion impossible last I checked.

Keep it though, because you need it for incest.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7586 on: April 27, 2015, 12:15:02 am »

I kept it so my dragons can get it on with each other. Besides, I've already converted people to the religion :P

What I'm most curious about...what kind of babies do human+dragon make ;P I've married off I think 2 (maybe 3 now, don't remember lol)...dragons to others. One is daenerys, the other is someone else from The North and then forgot if there was a third or not...thought there was.

Will be curious to see what babies come out of it :P It be a bit weird if Daenerys pops out a dragon xD

Also, since I pretty much control the entire continent except for the wall and north. (I'll probably convert the wall with my religion.) Its been pretty peaceful. Some plots against me, once had someone rise up (some lord on a tiny island rofl...dunno what his 700 man army thought they could do). But pretty quiet, which I personally like. Its really nice to just focus on making a solid empire. Though eventually my dragon will pass away and it will be left to my heir, which might cause some issues...but thats way later on. I've been really focusing on my heir really, making sure he is good to go for the future. But, what I'm focusing on is converting to my religion, my heir and making sure everyone is happy. Since there isn't really anything as far as wars go, I get to focus on other things.

East is actually pretty quiet too, not much happening over there. In fact, the entire time almost nothing has happened with the east lol. One war broke out and ended really quick and it was a small war. I think a couple tiny empires formed, but nothing that major.

(update: Dragon+Human just makes human children :P But all my dragon+dragon marriages gives me dragon children. So, I'll probably mostly just focus on inter-breeding I guess as far as marriages go :P

And finally things are happening in the east lol. Though one empire was getting too big, so I took out the leader and it fell apart. If my vassals get too roudy, I might declare war on one of the coastal east factions so it gives the vassals something to do. Right now, there seems to be a bit of in-fighting starting...keeping an eye to see if it gets too bad. It gives me a holding on the eastern continent anyway and I have an ally over there since I joined one of his wars)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 02:54:08 am by Vendayn »

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7587 on: April 28, 2015, 12:40:55 am »

So, some dude rose up against me and started a faction to have me replaced with some dude not even from my dynasty. I was actually kind of distracted so only half-noticed and then forgot. The power of being tired from staying up too late :P A year later, he rebels and half my empire has rebelled.

Except, I plotted an assassination on him...a month later he falls off somewhere from a great height (boy, he must have been "clumsy" :P) and...hey my empire is back! War is over!

Wow, I can definitely see now (like I said before) why HIP nerfed assassin plots hard :P But its hilarious. To be honest, I'd have still won because my units were more and my family members are stronger (especially my main dragon). Except, it would have greatly weakened me to any further attacks and rebellions.

I'm actually glad though I didn't really notice him plotting against me. After "winning" the war, everyone liked me a lot more lol and now my empire is even more stable than it was before

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7588 on: April 28, 2015, 05:31:10 am »

I'm stuck as the king of Sicily under the Byzantium empire. To the north is a massive Italy with kings that the people love who is also allied with massive West Francia. To the south are the Muslims and I don't think I can handle a holy war. And in Byzantium it's an electorate and I can't switch away from gavelkind. And I could swear than whenever I load up my game I lose either a claim or province I had. So far I've been trying to expand into the rest of Byzantium, but it's hard.

Anyone have any idea on what I should do? Maybe some tips on how to get elected or how to change my country to change to primogeniture.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7589 on: April 28, 2015, 06:43:46 am »

Holy wars really are the easiest way to expand, just wait for some minor muslim duke to end up in a war himself and steal his shit. Marryig powerful byzantine vassals to have allies would help.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 504 505 [506] 507 508 ... 1002