Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 505 506 [507] 508 509 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2010456 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #7590 on: April 28, 2015, 01:04:33 pm »

Holy wars really are the easiest way to expand, just wait for some minor muslim duke to end up in a war himself and steal his shit. Marryig powerful byzantine vassals to have allies would help.

If I declare war on him, can't all Muslims still declare war on me? And if he ends his current war, will I still be int he war and still get declared war on by all the Muslims?

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7591 on: April 28, 2015, 02:00:38 pm »

i don't think all muslims will join his side, just some nearby ones? and those that are tied up in other wars already probably won't join in against you

also sunnis may not be able to join in if your attacking a shiite and vice versa, but i'm really not totally sure about that  :-\
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 02:13:48 pm by TripJack »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7592 on: April 28, 2015, 02:25:13 pm »

Well, yeah, but in my experience, it's quite easy to quickly win a war before half of the muslim world dogpile on you, if your target doesn't have a huge neighbor.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7593 on: April 29, 2015, 10:01:49 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's usually fairly easy to convert people to your religion. I start a lot of games as literally the only person in the world with a religion, like Celtic or Egyptian in Pagan mods, or Fraticelli or other heresies, or Nestorian in Socotra. As long as they're your vassal (Kings might be special) and like you at least 30 relations, they'll fairly readily convert to your religion, and usually convert most of their vassals sooner or later. And if they're imprisoned, they'll be forced to convert if you ask them, in return for being freed. So you can pretty easily convert half the empire within a single paused moment if you don't mind spending a couple dozen minutes going through your vassals and picking people with high relation (Character ledger works great for this, since you can sort by relation and rank)
I converted my Empire to Fraticelli Christianity, alongside the Byzantine Empire. Things did not proceed as expected.
The first weeks were spent converting all the Kings and Queens of the Empire; even the Prince Bishopric of Gujarat converted to the Fraticelli faith. This transition happened peacefully enough, with the old Catholic mercenary captains, bishops and aristocrats all kept on positive or at least neutral terms. All those serving Emperor Visarion IV and V directly that is...

I had thought that all of my Kings, Queens, Doges, Dukes, Prince-Bishops and Lord Mayors would have converted their vassals peacefully as I had converted them.
All it did was result in civil war.
A lot of civil war.
A loooooooooooooooooooooot.
This religious strife was caused when the Emperor's vassals decided now was not the time for reasoned philosophical discourse, now was the time to purge the courts of all troublemakers and centralize power by revoking all of the counties of catholic heretics. Around 200 Miroslavs died/were exiled to foreign courts because of this. Hundreds of thousands more were killed. The entire economy and military might of the Serbian Empire was briefly paralyzed for a half dozen years. Had the French attacked it would've been disastrous, but the undefeated Emperor Aubry the Great had died - his son Emperor Aubry II was a competent strategist, but nowhere near as good as his father, and was maimed in a battle with Andalusian rebels - not fit for a war just yet.

Rather amusingly is that the great Carpathian Empire nearly went down a strange path. After the last stronghold of the spirit warriors was seized by the Serbians in West Africa, there was no longer any sovereign independent African state or noble - except in Carpathia, where the Miroslav Empress had married a refugee nobleman from House Cisse in West Africa. House Cisse was a major contender for Mali before it was taken over by House Zuwa, Zuwa in turn subsumed by Miroslav - and for a brief moment it was almost the case that the Carpathian Empire could have fallen to a West African pagan's hands just as the Mongols were set to storm Europe.

As hilarious as that would have been, the strife would have torn the Carpathian Empire apart for no Miroslav gain. The Khaganate was overthrown and replaced with a Fraticelli Khan Miroslav, thereby splitting Christendom in two.
Norway, Ireland & Wales, England, Scotland, the Francian juggernaut (comprising Hispania+Germania+Italia+Francia+Burgundy+Balochistan+Bohemia+Poland) defending Catholicism up against the Byzantine Empire, the Carpathian Empire and the Serbian Empire. The Russian area is the land to fight for that will determine which faith will become the true accepted faith - right now it is contested by a patchwork of Suomensko pagan Kingdoms, Orthodox Christian tribes, Fraticelli Perm and the Carpathian Empire, the Zoroastrian Ferzadid Empire, the last Tengri Turkmen, the pagan Kingdoms that recently converted to Catholicism to avoid Carpathian assaults (who will now likely face Carpathian Fraticelli assaults) and the Catholic Serbo-Finns of independent Finland. Won over to the Carpathian Empire during a crusade, it became Catholic, fought for its independence and recently lost a large tract of land to a Fraticelli assault.

The Catholics will get to deal with the Aztecs, the Fraticellis will get to deal with the Mongols. Should be fun...

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7594 on: April 29, 2015, 02:56:11 pm »

i don't think all muslims will join his side, just some nearby ones? and those that are tied up in other wars already probably won't join in against you

also sunnis may not be able to join in if your attacking a shiite and vice versa, but i'm really not totally sure about that  :-\

What I found was you had to assault members to push the warscore up as high as you could get before you got dogpiled by neighbours. I briefly considered trying to take on the Fatimid Revolt, but considering that Egypt was their neighbour and was bigger than even Byzantium by that stage, I was very wary of it. Plus, the Seljuks, while a different religion, could well have taken advantage of my weakened state by this hypothetical war.

Also, my Irish Byzantium save finally ended at 1452, with the Empire in relatively good hands, recuperating after the titanic struggle against the Yazidi Seljuks. I exported to EUIV, and began in that, which was pretty hilarious! the Seljuks went from licking their wounds to being really rather aggressive, and the normally friendly Sicily (encompassing Spain and small portions of France as well as Sicily and southern Italy) became expansionist and aggressive too. By the year of 1480, Sicily had already tried to subsume Italy into itself, leading half of Europe to wade in on Italy's side and the other half on Sicily's side. It was in this year that Sergios Ua Briain, last feudal Emperor of Byzantium died of old age and was replaced by his heir Cu-Caech Ua Briain.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7595 on: May 01, 2015, 04:34:03 pm »

There's a lot of comments I want to make on that, but I think it will make a lot of people angry so I won't say anything.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7596 on: May 02, 2015, 10:26:58 am »

THE STATS ARE TOO GOOD

I've got a ruler in the prime of his age set to rule for a hell of a long time over a massive stable Empire with gorillions of gold, a family that covers the world, a wife who's Princess of France and in the line to inherit everything from Spain to Germany and commands armies of hundreds of thousands with the best commanders the world has ever seen. Also possesses the only 100 war elephants in existence.

Originally the throne passed down to his father, but after his father died it passed down to his older brother, Emperor Visarion VI (there were VI Visarions who ruled in a row).
Visarion VI was just nowhere near as juicy as Ratomir. As Emperor Visarion V I made it my personal mission to make little Visarion VI's life as miserable as possible. I certainly succeeded - though I did not succeed in sending him off to fight the mongols without protection (he was not old enough to fight before war renewed with the hordes). When the throne passed down to Visarion VI all he did was arrange a betrothal between the Princess of Francia and the Prince of Serbia, shortly before being forced succumbing to his depression and killing himself.
On the bright side once he killed himself the throne passed down to his far more competent brother.

RIPIP

WHY GOD WHY

I HAD TO GET SO MANY PEOPLE TO DIE JUST FOR THIS

AND NOW HE'S DEAD TOO

EVERYONE'S DEAD

I KILL THE FINNS AND THIS IS WHAT I GET FOR IT?!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 06:11:51 pm by Loud Whispers »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7597 on: May 04, 2015, 03:36:29 am »

My sympathies to Emperor Ratomir. I once had something similar happen to my three princes of the Kingdom of Pomerania. The eldest was good but depressed, the second was a maimed dwarf and depressed, and the third was a genius. My eldest died of his depression after starting a rebellion against the HRE, and I was planning to suicide the second brother to take over as the third after the war, but before I won my genius brother died a natural death in his low twenties, leaving me stuck with the childless maimed dwarf.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7598 on: May 05, 2015, 02:53:03 am »

Can't put down that Persian, I guess.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7599 on: May 10, 2015, 03:10:15 pm »

Can't put down that Persian, I guess.
He fought well and completely destroyed the golden horde, wiping them from the annals of history. It's almost a shame that they may go extinct.

My sympathies to Emperor Ratomir. I once had something similar happen to my three princes of the Kingdom of Pomerania. The eldest was good but depressed, the second was a maimed dwarf and depressed, and the third was a genius. My eldest died of his depression after starting a rebellion against the HRE, and I was planning to suicide the second brother to take over as the third after the war, but before I won my genius brother died a natural death in his low twenties, leaving me stuck with the childless maimed dwarf.
No heirs for the Dwarf, like brothers or uncles? I feel the pain. I hope the childless maimed dwarf was more successful than other childless maimed dwarves.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7600 on: May 12, 2015, 05:50:35 pm »

There's a new dev diary out  :)

It doesn't say what the next expansion will be, but it does go over some of the free features and bugfixes they've been working on.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/weekly-dev-diary-1.855566/

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7601 on: May 13, 2015, 04:06:30 am »

- Handsome and lustful men now also populate the cabins in the wild for the pleasures of people who find them attractive

What the whaaaat?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7602 on: May 13, 2015, 05:01:15 am »

With the hunting event chain, there's an chance to come across a hut in the woods with an attractive/lustful woman. You get the option to have sex and leave, have sex and bring them to court, or just leave. If you bring them to court they get the title "of The Wilds".

So now there's men in the forest too.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7603 on: May 13, 2015, 05:43:55 am »

With the hunting event chain, there's an chance to come across a hut in the woods with an attractive/lustful woman. You get the option to have sex and leave, have sex and bring them to court, or just leave. If you bring them to court they get the title "of The Wilds".

To elaborate, it was supposed from the start to have men. Due to a bug, it locked the event to only spawn women. I think it could also end in a woman impregnating another.

So... shall we speculate on what the next expansion will be about? The government display overhaul makes me think it'll be a new government type (though I highly doubt it'll be theocracies).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Lukeinator

• Bay Watcher
  • Kophey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7604 on: May 13, 2015, 06:04:08 am »

To elaborate, it was supposed from the start to have men. Due to a bug, it locked the event to only spawn women. I think it could also end in a woman impregnating another.

So... shall we speculate on what the next expansion will be about? The government display overhaul makes me think it'll be a new government type (though I highly doubt it'll be theocracies).
I'm going Inland Republics.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135480.0 My second FOOTBLEED game.
This thread is Bay12 incarnate.

Like the mermaid bones farm and the Kill-your-baby machine.
Pages: 1 ... 505 506 [507] 508 509 ... 1002