Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 512 513 [514] 515 516 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2008640 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #7695 on: May 26, 2015, 10:04:46 am »

Oh yeah, it just seems that they get captured more often nowadays.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7696 on: May 26, 2015, 10:30:31 am »

After the Aztec Empire's brutal failure to invade Marrakech from across the Atlantic resulted in hundreds of thousands of Nahua lives ending in short order, few traces of the Aztec Empire's presence in Europe remained. Only a single community of Aztecs had established themselves within the borders of the Serbian Empire, and isolated from the North American motherland, were quickly reassimilated into Serbia. Two of their captured prisoners were moved into the Serbian court (using a cheat, but god dammit this should be a feature), married and courted - valuable interpreters for future encounters with the powerful Aztecs. Very quickly their bloodline got Serbified, but 5 generations down the line I've finally succeeded in having a baron Miroslav of Nahua culture and Aztec religion, under close watch from my Alexandrian Fortress. It is entertaining to see these strange serbs running around in feathers and glass baubles, I imagine the local flamingo population declines wherever one of them goes.
Emperor Konstantin 'the Great' of Serbia also managed to make the Serbian coffers exceed 1.2 million gold. There was a horrible moment when I kept trying to adjust the taxes just right so that I'd be able to encourage the barons, bishops and mayors to build up fortunes to spend on infrastructure improvements, and realized I had transitioned from playing the game as a backs-to-the-wall warrior-scheming Serb King to being the economy minister. Turns out, high taxes are a must. The small lords hoard cash but are reluctant to use it to spend it on infrastructure, as they only have a few decades of foresight while the omniscient economy dictator has the foresight of several generations. One must take their money and spend it for them for their future generations to enjoy.

The British Empire has middlesex under its thumb after conquering it from the Spanish, Sussex is still split between the French and the Germans. Southern Ireland is still held by the Catholics of Eire. Germania's almost fully recovered from the Fraticelli balkanization of Germania, a few Polish and Bohemian dukes are still independent here and there, and the Bavarian Kingdom is still independent and Catholic. The Serbian Empire's borders are unchanging, its soldiers only marching out to kill enemies of the Ilkhanate so that the Ilkhanate may one day be Miroslav. Within the Scandinavian Empire the last Suomensko lords are falling to the Catholic tribes and the Fraticelli Kings. There are notable pocket-dukedoms of Russian Catholics still independent. The Scandinavian Empire itself is proving more stable than it has any right to be; having more cultures under its territory than any other nation it also includes sizeable populations of Swedes, Finns, Danes, Norwegians, Mordvins, Avars, Lithuanians, Serbians, Russians, Khazars, Khantys and Estonians all living within the Scandinavian Empire, led by a Norse Emperor. Very few counties are of old Norse culture. The French Empire has fully recovered from its civil woes and has pushed its borders a little further south into Spain. Notably, an independent duke in France has formed the Kingdom of Valois, whose only de jure territories are far in the east in Zabulistan, remnants of when the French once inherited Balochistan. The Roman Empire has grown even larger, encompassing much of Asia Minor, Persia, Greece, the Balkans and Italy. Spain by far has had it the worst. The Miroslav Emperors and Empresses of Hispania clung onto Catholicism whilst the rest of the family adopted Fraticellism, which escalated local tensions to breaking point. The already massive local Serb population within Andalusia and the last of the Latins in northern Spain made their bid for independence. Some were killed by the French, most made their bid and won - Hispania is now one messy patchwork of Andalusian, Portuguese, French, Castilian and Catalanian rulers. The Catholic Miroslav Empress has married a kinslaying Andalusian Emir of Portugal; a wise move on her part, it will reunite Hispania with Portugal whilst the Empire passes on to another Miroslav through elective law. The Italians have also used another marriage to possibly merge back into the Empire of France. The Italians in my game really want to be France.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7697 on: May 26, 2015, 11:49:40 am »

Forts? In my CK2? What madness is this?

I guess if you can't see it for whatever reason, here is the short version:

There is a new holding type: forts. They work like trade posts in that they exist in a special slot present in every province and do not take up space reserved to regular holdings (or trade posts). You can build them in your own territory, or captured enemy land. They are supposed to be pretty cheap and build fast, and their purpose is to either increase enemy attrition (when in your land) or reduce your own attrition (in captured enemy land). This reduction does negate or significantly reduce the tribal/pagan attrition as well.

The map will also be divided by regions like in EU4. The main effect of this is that you can no longer hunt tigers outside India just because you are an indian ruler. I guess it could also help with some achievements.

Finally, more patch notes.

Code: [Select]
- Fixed crash when a war is invalidated because of no defender
- Fixed the "hostile against everyone" bug
- Fixed bug where the AI would keep their units attached to characters they no longer participate in a war with.
- Added alert for having high prio minor titles available to grant.
- Fixed various provinces in India that had no rulers scripted for some start dates.
- Monks and other people living in celibacy will no longer try to arrange stealth marriages if ruled by a patrician.
- Defensive religions now properly also give defensive modifiers for Camel Cavalry and Elephants.

Also the images from the update in spoilers as requested.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 02:51:30 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7698 on: May 26, 2015, 11:55:06 am »

About time we got Forts, better supplies line simulation is always a plus

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7699 on: May 26, 2015, 12:06:53 pm »

For my new campaign I'm trying to bring the Habsburgs to power. Fortunately the HRE gave me the Duchy of Upper Burgundy, and through my assholes vassals being assholes, letting me attempt imprison-revolt-revoke title them, I now hold four counties, have one count vassal, and one more de jure, I just have to take it from the (well connected and powerful) Duke of Swabia. From there? Time to claim the Osterreich!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7700 on: May 26, 2015, 12:20:45 pm »

Good to see they fixed the hostile against everyone bug. I ran into that recently and it was seriously annoying.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7701 on: May 26, 2015, 12:21:38 pm »

Finally, with the forts I can recreate the conditions of Braveheart!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7702 on: May 26, 2015, 01:29:20 pm »

Of all the nations I suspected could take over Hispania, the Ilkhanate was not one of them.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7703 on: May 26, 2015, 01:44:25 pm »

I really, REALLY wish Paradox never made it so that you have to be logged in to see those images. It's completely unnecessary
Should I try to post the images here as well from now on whenever I inform people about the Dev Diaries?
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7704 on: May 26, 2015, 02:04:36 pm »

For my new campaign I'm trying to bring the Habsburgs to power. Fortunately the HRE gave me the Duchy of Upper Burgundy, and through my assholes vassals being assholes, letting me attempt imprison-revolt-revoke title them, I now hold four counties, have one count vassal, and one more de jure, I just have to take it from the (well connected and powerful) Duke of Swabia. From there? Time to claim the Osterreich!
I just realized I can create the Kingdom, then Empire, of Austria in 1066, because of the "Form a new kingdom" decision.

WELP.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7705 on: May 26, 2015, 02:18:17 pm »

Despite losing multiple holy wars for one of my counties, my subsequent ritualistic and speedy murder of the next three people in line for the throne, and multiple civil wars for independence (one even won by the rebels, who were quickly reassimilated), Poland refuses to release their grip on Ruthenia without a drawn out war of mercenaries v tribals. I've decided to expand eastward into perm in the meantime; The extra territory means more money and more men in the long term, useful if Poland does the AI's new favorite tactic and goes Orthodox immediately after they start losing the Holy War. If they do, I'll be reliant on de jure and fabricated claims, since I evicted ~50% of my Lord Mayors during the Great Tyrannical Restructuring.

On that note, my pretty ducal borders are getting rekt once more, not five years later. Rostov stomped Muscovy, once more cementing the Prince Mayor of Muscovy as the prime Butt monkey for the whole of Novgorod. Since I took the territory, Moscow has been covered in a unending stream of peasant rebellions and pretenders, who take the throne and build a single improvement before being deposed by yet another commoner/Adventurer/Guy-with-a-sword/Monkey-on-a-donkey/what have you. To top it all off, the Mad King Gleb twenty years back replaced the then-chancellor, Lord Mayor of Muscovy, with the horse glitterhoof. As if to rub it in, glitterhoof admirably fabricated the claim that the Lord Mayor had been working on for decades... in a week. Truly, the butt monkeys of the republic. Well, the next chancellor, a Slovensky, unfortunately. I like to think it's glitterhoof, at least she was a proper Ilmensky.

The civilization of Bjarmia is going swimmingly; the local chiefs had taken the time to build massive stores of prestige, as evidenced by the many improvements stretching into the arctic. Once converted into proper cities, Bjarmia will join the rest of Novgorod with relative ease. The Doge will graciously provide the new mayors with a town market, funded by Ilemesky gold, and then leave them largely to their own devices. We need stores to pay for mercenaries to take the rest of Russia from the Polish.

Patrician Status:
ILEMENSKY: Rolling in gold, with a grand palace and two huge cities, and a retinue of >4000 men.

SLOVENSKY: Weakening, but still dangerous. Regularly produces old patricians that necessitate continued campaign funding. So America, much cheese. On infrastructure, not much seems to be happening. They upgrade, plot, and fail to establish real power.

OF NOVGOROD: The House of the Bastard Ilemensky survives, it's third generation having the patricians status handed from young Father to infant son. How they maintain their mansion is beyond me; Suomensuko slaves? Greek Butlers? Child Labor? One of these days I'm going to educate their patrician all wrong; it's kind of a pet project keeping them barely afloat.

IZAHAYANAVID: The House of the Unspellable name is a player mostly beyond the borders of the republic, being remarkable only in that they pick up the Slovensky slack when the Ilemenskies are under pressure. They have a large trade zone full of posts... in the Mediterranean. Quite a trip if you can't float down the Volga. Also disturbingly friendly with Suomi...

MOAR RUSO-FINNIC NAMES: The final house of the Republic is unremarkable, and I can't even remember their name. They rarely matter save politically; for whatever reason, this genetic line is extraordinarily long-lived. Of note is the 76 year old patrician they put up, with a massive prestige as well, necessitating the campaign fund to reach a historic 1055 gp. luckily, they haven't reached that prestige since, and are usually beaten or assassinated by the slovensky or the Izahayanavid. And once the of Novgorod, IIRC, which must have been embarrassing.

I'm loving playing in Russia and as a republic.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7706 on: May 26, 2015, 02:51:47 pm »

I really, REALLY wish Paradox never made it so that you have to be logged in to see those images. It's completely unnecessary
Should I try to post the images here as well from now on whenever I inform people about the Dev Diaries?
If you did, I'd be much obliged.
I edited my post, so they're there now.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7707 on: May 26, 2015, 04:45:16 pm »

I just realized I can create the Kingdom, then Empire, of Austria in 1066, because of the "Form a new kingdom" decision.

WELP.

That makes me so happy, i've always wanted to do that and didn't even think of it recently!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7708 on: May 26, 2015, 04:57:24 pm »

If you did, I'd be much obliged.
I edited my post, so they're there now.
Thanks!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7709 on: May 26, 2015, 05:09:20 pm »

To top it all off, the Mad King Gleb twenty years back replaced the then-chancellor, Lord Mayor of Muscovy, with the horse glitterhoof. As if to rub it in, glitterhoof admirably fabricated the claim that the Lord Mayor had been working on for decades... in a week. Truly, the butt monkeys of the republic.

This is my new favorite thing and I am going to sig.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 512 513 [514] 515 516 ... 1002