Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2007132 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #7920 on: June 16, 2015, 03:38:56 pm »

Shouldn't they be some kind of chaos monster at this point?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7921 on: June 16, 2015, 03:44:16 pm »

Miroslav everchosen needs to be a thing. Probably shouldn't start as chaos though, would be too fast.

Also, dev diary is out.

It's about tributary states. First: all governments can have tributaries, but you need the expansion. There are two CBs related to them: Make Tributary and Free Tributary, which are pretty self explanatory. Names of tributaries are not shown on the map, but they retain their colour. It should result in some crazy looking maps. These states pay a monthly tribute to their suzerain, and cannot refuse calls to war (looks like they act similar to tribes in this regard, just guaranteed). Suzerains are also expected to protect their tributaries. Aside from that, these states are pretty much autonomous. A tributary cannot have more than one suzerain, but suzerains don't have to be independent. So you could have Bohemia being suzerain of some realm while still being part of the HRE. If either ruler (suzerain or tributary) dies, the relation is over. Tributaries can also DoW for independence.

Nomads have their own succession, in which the most prestigious brother or son inherits. Minors can inherit clans, but not hordes. In order to increase the prestige of the character you want as heir, you can send them away as mercenaries with part of your manpower. They will appear as mercenaries for hire in the region you're in, and can be hired by anyone. As they gain money, the size of the band increases. There are apparently quite a few events related to these mercenary adventures, mostly tales of what they are doing or if you hire them. In general, they will increase their skills and gain prestige while a mercenary. This system is nomad only, but can be modded.

Spoiler: Pictures (click to show/hide)
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7922 on: June 16, 2015, 03:57:05 pm »

I think the Serbs may honestly at this point be responsible for more deaths than the genocidal frost demons.

Oh my god, Loud Whispers. You've literally fucked a zombie ice lord after spending a decade crusading your way across eastern Westeros, setting most of it on fire and executing the rest. Last I saw, the Night's Watch had fled north into the heart of Winter, in order to escape the southwards wrath of the aforementioned incarnation of death and snow.

How the shitting hell did you do this within three generations of landing on Westeros?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7923 on: June 16, 2015, 04:08:12 pm »

By the time you're done, I wonder what fraction of Westeros will be Serb.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7924 on: June 16, 2015, 04:29:25 pm »

I think the Serbs may honestly at this point be responsible for more deaths than the genocidal frost demons.

Oh my god, Loud Whispers. You've literally fucked a zombie ice lord after spending a decade crusading your way across eastern Westeros, setting most of it on fire and executing the rest. Last I saw, the Night's Watch had fled north into the heart of Winter, in order to escape the southwards wrath of the aforementioned incarnation of death and snow.

How the shitting hell did you do this within three generations of landing on Westeros?
I'm almost tempted to report this on the mod's bug listing, just so we can look forward to the patch entry "Can no longer give foul abominations from beyond the Wall a good tumble."  But then I think of how much funnier it is to leave this sort of thing in. ^_^

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7925 on: June 16, 2015, 04:50:03 pm »

I just noticed, none of the provinces have changed culture outside of Aztec invasion. I looked it up, the culture conversion events were removed entirely from the mod to keep culture static, as otherwise many of the small cultures like the hill clansmen would be wiped out fairly quickly (alongside their respective events). I may have to add some shit to rectify that.

You could try After the End next. It's neat.
Either this or the warhammer mod would be great, and both mods are pretty well developed.
Miroslavs immigrating to post-apoc America sounds fun, but so does beating the crap out of elves

Miroslav everchosen needs to be a thing. Probably shouldn't start as chaos though, would be too fast.
If I did the warhammer mod, I'd love to choose Dorfs but can't because Dorfs are not human. So it'd have to be Bretonnian, since I love the idea of the Warhammer world suddenly finding that their French Knights abusing the peasants have been replaced with Serbian Gusars abusing the peasants. And then when the Elves try to control the Bretonnians with their holy lady crap, the Serbs begin removing Elves from the premises

Fucking sigged

It's a long story, but to make things short:
  • Lots of nobles died in the chaos of the clash of Kings
  • Lots of bankrupt nobles couldn't pay back their loans to the Iron Bank
  • Iron bank gave Serbs money in exchange for tax collections
  • This didn't always work out well for everyone
  • The Miroslav family needed the winter to continue, just in order to survive (harsh winter kills off numerically superior armies)
  • Miroslavs did everything they could to help White Walkers break through the wall and tie up the Iron Throne's resources
  • Danaerys being a miserable failure unleashed her dragons upon the world, and the Serbs hatched their own dragon
  • Anything the Miroslavs couldn't hold they destroyed
  • Unleashing the White Walkers was a bad idea long term, White Walkers begin attacking Serbs
  • White Walkers begin assaulting Miroslavs, Miroslavs begin sexually assaulting White Walkers
  • Dragons begin heating things up

And then the new age began. The apocalypse! More on that tomorrow :D

Also of note, is that in 3 generations on my Baratheon run I had 500,000 soldiers fighting for Queen Megga, maybe things go faster in Westeros?

I'm almost tempted to report this on the mod's bug listing, just so we can look forward to the patch entry "Can no longer give foul abominations from beyond the Wall a good tumble."  But then I think of how much funnier it is to leave this sort of thing in. ^_^
I don't think they expected a homosexual Serbian warlord to both be able to and to want to bugger the zombie ice lords

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7926 on: June 16, 2015, 05:08:44 pm »

Personal culture is one thing, but unless he fires event 55000 to turn Kings Landing Serbian, provincially the culture won't spread at all, because it needs a nucleus province to spread from.

That said, if Kings Landing isn't following the Fire God, then he COULD get an event to turn it Serbian, as there is an event to turn your capital to your culture if the province is a different religion. I don't know why that is the rule, seems kind of silly. "Hey, you know that infidel? Wouldn't it be great if we acted exactly like he does?" as opposed to "Hey, you know that pious holy king of ours? Fuck his foreign ways!"

This is all moot if the mod does away with culture conversions, though. It did away with technological advancement, so I wouldn't be too surprised. Edit: Ninja'd, not surprised.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7927 on: June 17, 2015, 02:00:28 am »

Not in the Game of Thrones mod, province culture has been made static for flavour reasons, as LW said. I believe changing it back is as easy as de-comment-outing the relevant events, though.

I don't know why that is the rule, seems kind of silly. "Hey, you know that infidel? Wouldn't it be great if we acted exactly like he does?" as opposed to "Hey, you know that pious holy king of ours? Fuck his foreign ways!"

It is so to abstract the radical effect having a ruler/ruling class of another culture can have on the populace, like for example the German Hansa had on the cities around the Baltic, or the mostly German Teuton Order had in the Baltics. Except it's done as a random timer character event rather than something that happens after a set number of years like de jure drift. Without having looked at the event I can't say if it becomes likelier the longer you hold a place or not.

Not saying it doesn't give rise to silly situations sometimes, of course.
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7928 on: June 17, 2015, 02:07:35 am »

The point is that it's advantageous to have a different religion, if you want to change your capital's culture.  If your culture is on an island, it's the *only* way to spread it AFAIK.  The only option is this weird event which won't fire if you defy your capital's religion AND culture.  That's kinda weird.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7929 on: June 17, 2015, 05:33:20 am »

Wait, you jean the "bring in some boys from back home" event? Yeah, that's changing religion and culture by committing genocide and forcefully moving your own people there.
Love, scriver~

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7930 on: June 17, 2015, 05:47:02 am »

Hm, this event doesn't need the county to be of a different religion. You just need to have your capital of a different culture, no adjacent counties with your culture (otherwise it would be the spread event) and high stewardship makes it faster. If the county is of a different religion, it'll get converted too, but it can happen if it's of your religion.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7931 on: June 17, 2015, 09:07:48 am »

Also, dev diary is out.

It's about tributary states. First: all governments can have tributaries, but you need the expansion. There are two CBs related to them: Make Tributary and Free Tributary, which are pretty self explanatory. Names of tributaries are not shown on the map, but they retain their colour. It should result in some crazy looking maps. These states pay a monthly tribute to their suzerain, and cannot refuse calls to war (looks like they act similar to tribes in this regard, just guaranteed). Suzerains are also expected to protect their tributaries. Aside from that, these states are pretty much autonomous. A tributary cannot have more than one suzerain, but suzerains don't have to be independent. So you could have Bohemia being suzerain of some realm while still being part of the HRE. If either ruler (suzerain or tributary) dies, the relation is over. Tributaries can also DoW for independence.

Nomads have their own succession, in which the most prestigious brother or son inherits. Minors can inherit clans, but not hordes. In order to increase the prestige of the character you want as heir, you can send them away as mercenaries with part of your manpower. They will appear as mercenaries for hire in the region you're in, and can be hired by anyone. As they gain money, the size of the band increases. There are apparently quite a few events related to these mercenary adventures, mostly tales of what they are doing or if you hire them. In general, they will increase their skills and gain prestige while a mercenary. This system is nomad only, but can be modded.

Neat mechanics, this will be a decent expansion.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7932 on: June 17, 2015, 11:56:57 am »

Trying so hard to create a Malinese Merchant Republic. Wouldn't be that hard if Muslim decadence wasn't still mostly broken. As it is, the Umayyads sit at 0% decadence more or less permanently. Egypt, Africa and Arabia have all fallen into turmoil multiple times, but Spain (and its acquisition of Marrakech and Fes, cock-blocking my expansion to the sea and to those juicy West African holy sites that I need to reform the religion and make a republic possible) remains an unassailable yellow block.

I'm under no real threat to my core tribal kingdom, because I can draw invading armies deep into the African interior and let attrition do my work for me, but I've spent nearly 200 years waiting for a serious dynastic crisis or decadence revolt (or even a crusade for Iberia). I'm trying an indirect strategy now, by getting a claim on the Atlas Mountains, conquering that, and taking on the fractured emirates in Alger, Kabylia and Tunis. That should hopefully net me two more holy sites, and hopefully the assorted county conquests can be done quickly enough to push religious authority up to 50% (and I'll have some nicely developed coastal cities to base my new capital in).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7933 on: June 17, 2015, 12:04:12 pm »

Uhhh, Redking... You won't be able to base your capital in any of those coastal provinces. Republics can't move their capital, so you can't change after you reform into a republic, and you can't change your capital to a wrong holding type, which for a tribal is any non-tribal province (castle, city, or bishopric)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7934 on: June 17, 2015, 12:09:53 pm »

Uhhh, Redking... You won't be able to base your capital in any of those coastal provinces. Republics can't move their capital, so you can't change after you reform into a republic, and you can't change your capital to a wrong holding type, which for a tribal is any non-tribal province (castle, city, or bishopric)
Actually, he's a tribal so he can change then reform as long as the new capital meets the requirements. Better make sure you can keep the republican capital from the caliphates though.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 1002