Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 995

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 1621771 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #7920 on: June 23, 2015, 11:27:08 am »

DD time

So, silk road is in. It works like republican trade posts, except they can only be built in provinces with the Silk Road modifier and can be built by anyone (even feudal) as long as they own the province. However, if a war breaks out in a province that is part of the road, the trade will be cut off starting at that point until things calm down. I guess this means that trade "flows" from the eastern map border. If trade cannot go through a certain route, it will instead take another, giving whomever controls it even more money. I can imagine starting wars in specific places so that your own silk road provinces generate more cash.

Another new system is the raiding adventurers. Apparently, it'll be used by defeated nomads (remember that they mentioned that if you lose all your land as a nomad, it is not game over) and folks like the normans. Germanic raiding adventurers spawn with ships, while nomads don't. You can raid any province with no restrictions except those you were expelled from. The money gained from raiding will be used to get more troops and eventually they'll attempt to become landed. A ruler can also offer to land these adventurers, giving them a border or coastal province, like what happened with the historical normans. The adventurers may refuse, however. Especially ambitious adventurers will usually refuse anything less than a duchy. If no offers are made, they will eventually try to claim a duchy for themselves.

The settle adventurer system can also be used on the dynamic mercenaries covered earlier if you somehow manage to make them really like you. Settled raiders will become feudal/iqta and will be disinherited from their original realms. Apparently, a province settled by former raiders can't be raided for some time.

The old adventurers as well as the mercenaries (but not those who were displaced by conquests) gain a trait that not only makes them even more ambitious, but also gives them greater martial capacity.

I think this expansion will be big. I sure am hyped.

Spoiler: images (click to show/hide)
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7921 on: June 23, 2015, 11:35:41 am »

@EUIV conversion tech: You can get Western as a reformed pagan. I upgraded my capital a lot and built universities, but I'm not totally sure what did it - I wasn't paying attention to development levels.

A Mali Principality that covers all of CK2 Africa sounds pretty interesting. It'll be big, but those provinces aren't too rich, so you'll not be in a totally overpowered position (assuming other strong nations exist, or you unleash Sunset Invasion).
But bear in mind that province "richness" is more or less a function of what you build on it. And with more money than God, I can build a LOT. The province value of Massat is up to 206, and that's only held back because I'm driving all the tech advancement in that part of the world. Only great Byzantium and gilded Venice are richer, and not by much. Even the Canary Islands compare favorably to a moderate European province. And in Africa you get one 6-slot province (Marrakesh, which is inland) and several 5-slot coastal provinces (Tangier, Tunis, Al Djazair, Alexandria). All of those have tax values over 100 at this point, roughly comparable to major European capitals like Paris, Essex (London), Bordeaux and Genoa.

And there's no Le Blob Bleu or the like in Europe, and neither the Pope nor the Caliph seem interested in messing with me at this point. It feels kinda OP. We'll see what the Aztecs can do to wreck my shit in another 100-150 years. Although my retinue is 15K men, larger than Aquitaine's entire levy. Total raiseable strength at this point is about 45-48K, plus the 2K Ghanan mercenaries.

I meant more for EUIV, if you converted now. At least I remember it so that EUIV uses vanilla province values, no matter how rich and amazing you've built up your provinces in CK2. I might be remembering wrong - it'd be nice if I was.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7922 on: June 23, 2015, 01:47:10 pm »

I started as Briefne in Ireland and eventually inherited the HRE
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7923 on: June 23, 2015, 01:51:15 pm »

Base tax in EUIV is modified by number of holdings, though perhaps not by level of development in those holdings.

I'm curious to know to what extent improvements are imported though. Fortification levels do seem to play a role in creating forts in EUIV (especially now that forts have been overhauled), but I'd love to know what role things like universities and shipyards play, if any.

In firing up EUIV recently, I barely recognize the game anymore. So much of the mechanics have been overhauled, and I haven't really played since about 4 or 5 DLCs ago. And I can't find anywhere that details the inner mechanics of the converter.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7924 on: June 23, 2015, 01:56:24 pm »

In firing up EUIV recently, I barely recognize the game anymore. So much of the mechanics have been overhauled, and I haven't really played since about 4 or 5 DLCs ago. And I can't find anywhere that details the inner mechanics of the converter.
Regarding converter details, I think it is because only a single CK2 dev actually works on it. It also explains why it tends to take a while for the converter to work again after each EU4 DLC.

We could probably do some testing by starting at various bookmarks and then exporting as well as using console commands to create certain situations and then observe the results.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7925 on: June 24, 2015, 03:27:24 pm »

What is Serb may never die, but rises sneakier and stronger as cryptoSerbs

Spoiler: You mean this? (click to show/hide)

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7926 on: June 24, 2015, 03:32:32 pm »

I'm currently playing as the slut Queen of England (seducing all of my vassals for free opinion increase and more children) Currently, I have the dilemma of trying to ensure that a female child will inherit so that I can continue doing this. I'm torn between just continuing to try to make my sons inelligible by making them take holy vows or somehow getting them killed or downloading a mod that lets me assassinate them.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7927 on: June 24, 2015, 03:35:59 pm »

...But rises again, stronger and... Bulgarian?!
Love, scriver~

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7928 on: June 24, 2015, 03:52:27 pm »

*Bulgarian-er
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7929 on: June 24, 2015, 04:12:51 pm »

I'm currently playing as the slut Queen of England (seducing all of my vassals for free opinion increase and more children) Currently, I have the dilemma of trying to ensure that a female child will inherit so that I can continue doing this. I'm torn between just continuing to try to make my sons inelligible by making them take holy vows or somehow getting them killed or downloading a mod that lets me assassinate them.

If the female child is the eldest, you can sneakycheat by setting your culture to basque, changing the succession law to pure cognatic, and changing back to english.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7930 on: June 24, 2015, 04:34:19 pm »

Cathar and Messalian heresies also work to allow absolute cognatic, letting the proud dynasty of the slut queens of England rule supreme

...But rises again, stronger and... Bulgarian?!
Such is life STALKER. You wake up, go to sleep, get killed by Greeks, and the next time you awaken from slumber you are Bulgarian

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7931 on: June 24, 2015, 07:47:27 pm »

How exactly would a catholic queen convert to Cathar? I've just started paying attention to the relgion aspect, but can't find instructions on the CK II wiki.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7932 on: June 24, 2015, 07:51:40 pm »

How exactly would a catholic queen convert to Cathar? I've just started paying attention to the relgion aspect, but can't find instructions on the CK II wiki.
You have to either be asked by a vassal, or maybe have your capital in a Cathar controlled province and use a decision, though that might only work for cultures or completely separate religions based on how much I'm misremembering.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7933 on: June 24, 2015, 08:22:49 pm »

Decision also requires SoA, I think, but the event that fires for living in a heretical province has no such restriction due to being an old core event.  Cynicism and a low Moral Authority (MA) for the original faith are a huge benefit here, especially since the lowest the MTTH will go is around 50 months.  Befriending a Cathar heretic also lets them try to convert you.  Driving the MA low will help the outbreak of heresies.  To weaken Catholicism, do stuff like creating Antipopes (-30%), installing an Immoral character as Pope (-10%), lose a Crusade or three (-10% each) or prepared invasions (-5% each).  Defying the Pope, expelling Holy Orders, and letting temple holdings get looted by raiders will also weaken Catholicism. 

Also, since you asked about the wiki, ping.  A bit more detailed information there.  ^_^

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7934 on: June 24, 2015, 08:31:02 pm »

You can also marry a Cathar. Spouses/concubines let you switch to almost any religion, if you can manage to find one of the religion/heresy you want.

Next game, I think I'm gonna play Vikings and turn them to a heresy, then convert the rest of the Norse.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 995