Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 605 606 [607] 608 609 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2009766 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #9090 on: October 24, 2015, 09:32:47 pm »

It might be an ease-of-multiplayer game, if you two can ally each other regardless.
Pretty much. There's nothing preventing people of different faiths from marrying, it's just that the AI says no. If your other human will accept the offer, you can offer whatever you want.
Can non heretical sects of the same broad faith intermarry? I wonder if it's possible to replicate the near-unification of the Byzantine and Holy Roman Empires under one marriage

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9091 on: October 24, 2015, 09:45:26 pm »

It might be an ease-of-multiplayer game, if you two can ally each other regardless.
Pretty much. There's nothing preventing people of different faiths from marrying, it's just that the AI says no. If your other human will accept the offer, you can offer whatever you want.
Can non heretical sects of the same broad faith intermarry? I wonder if it's possible to replicate the near-unification of the Byzantine and Holy Roman Empires under one marriage

I don't see why not. I know as a Catholic you can marry an Orthodox member of the Byzantine Empire's court
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9092 on: October 25, 2015, 05:23:18 am »

All 4 branches of Christianity can intermarry with any other branch, including the heresies of other branches, and their own heresies I think.

The problem with trying to unify the HRE and the BE is the succession laws of the HRE. Pretty sure they tend to be elective, which makes for a real pain in trying to assume control as the Byzantines, or can result in losing authority over it at the wrong moment as the HRE.

There's also the nuisance of having to deal with so many cultures and the Catholic/Orthodox divide. It's a big penalty to relations with vassals and not generally worth it.

Far easier to start as the Byzantines, Mend the Schism, convert to a Catholic (now Orthodox) heresy, preferably Fraticelli or Cathar and start rolling over Europe while it's stuck in civil war over religion.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9093 on: October 25, 2015, 05:37:06 am »

Or just start as HRE change the succession laws and inherit the Byzantines.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9094 on: October 25, 2015, 09:41:42 am »

Or just start as HRE change the succession laws and inherit the Byzantines.
Yeah. I think that in the Stamford Bridge start you can immediately change the succession laws as the emperor.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9095 on: October 25, 2015, 09:58:48 am »

You don't fuse the HRE and Byzantines because it's easy, you do it because DEUS VULT we DOUBLE ROMANS NOW

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9096 on: October 25, 2015, 11:37:19 am »

You don't fuse the HRE and Byzantines because it's easy, you do it because DEUS VULT we DOUBLE ROMANS NOW
"I'm so damn Roman, my slave Spartacus has to put down a revolt by his slaves."

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9097 on: October 25, 2015, 11:48:00 am »

your mean vassals, rite?

It wasnt uncommon for trusted slaves to have slaves, or servants that aides and were effectively managed by them.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

poketwo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9098 on: October 25, 2015, 01:35:34 pm »

Also, where is the first post you went into detail about the history of silentthunder's raven problem?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9099 on: October 25, 2015, 02:54:30 pm »

I have absolutely no idea how the Catholics keep their moral authority so high in my current game. They have:

Lost at least 8 Holy Wars (-24% MA)
Lost a Crusade to take England back from the Aztecs (-10% MA)
Lost control of two Holy Sites (-20% MA)
Who knows what else (-?% MA)

And yet somehow they're still standing at roughly 70% MA. It's starting to baffle me how they manage to keep it so high. Part of it is because the Pope has a ton of piety and diplomacy, and I still haven't gotten around to kicking him out of Rome yet. However the lowest it has ever been is 40% MA, which was enough to kickstart a few minor heresies but not much else. Other than that it's been pretty damn high for a religion which was been getting its shot kicked out of them for the past few decades or so. Hopefully taking Rome will be a blow from which the Catholics will never recover, but I'm honestly starting to doubt that that will happen right now. They just seem too sturdy.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9100 on: October 25, 2015, 05:04:43 pm »

You can hover your cursor over the MA number and it should tell you what is behind it, unless I am confusing it for something else entirely.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9101 on: October 25, 2015, 05:17:23 pm »

It doesn't seem to work on the ledger screen, which is the only place that I know where to see the MA of other religions. Unless I'm missing something important here. Though it does appear that their MA has dropped to under 40% again so I don't know what the fuck is going on anymore.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9102 on: October 25, 2015, 05:27:20 pm »

-The pope controls rome, which is insta 5% MA.
-The catholics control 3/5 holy sites, with the one in spain and jerusalem not being gotted.  30%
-The Pope is elected from a pool of canidates all sucking up to the church and God, so he's likely both diplomatic and pious.  Or has a rich sponsor.  Or is rich because those NPC barons collect buckos bucks not doing anything for hundreds of years.
-There's inquisitions, temples built, holy wars, every time iceland tries to bring 1k troops to a 10k party, and donations to holy orders.  I forget if the founding of HOs also increases MA.
-Lastly, if you splintered HRE, then they likely dont have their staple antipope.  Which means theres not 30% MA loss, nor wars over it.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9103 on: October 25, 2015, 05:31:40 pm »

Actually Cantebury is under the control of the Aztecs right now. I've never played a game with Sunset Invasion before. Sue me. So that's only 25% MA they have. And the HRE isn't splinted yet (in fact the only reason I'm lowering Catholic MA is to try and splinter them because I have no idea how to do so otherwise) but they don't seem to want to make any Antipopes for some reason. How they managed to stay at 70% MA is still beyond me, but at least they're down to 40% MA again. So I can't complain anymore.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9104 on: October 26, 2015, 06:30:50 am »

Actually Cantebury is under the control of the Aztecs right now. I've never played a game with Sunset Invasion before. Sue me.

That happens a lot with SI. They're nearly impossible to shift as well unless you can get a huge mega empire to fight them off with. I saw Europe fail about four crusades against Aztec England before whittling down the event troops enough that they could actually fight them on an even footing.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.
Pages: 1 ... 605 606 [607] 608 609 ... 1002