Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 612 613 [614] 615 616 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 1990257 times)

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #9195 on: December 01, 2015, 01:55:43 pm »

Here is the life of Elpidios Kalopragmon "The Hunter" (736-804) Doux of Tripolitana, Strategos of Sicily and Protostator of the Byzantine Empire.

Not much is known of him before the year 769 when he ordered the murder of the Count of Messene and he inherited the title. The following year, Elpidios revoked the title of Panarmos, extending his domain. After 7 years of preparation, he launched an attack against the duchy of Tripolitana owned by an Ibadi heathens. In 781, after 4 years of battle, the war was won by Elpidios, now calling himself Doux of Tripolitana. Inheriting a tradition of high centralisation in the Empire, the Doux decided to unite the island of Sicily under his personal rule. Agrigenton and Drepanon fell respectively in 782 and 783 while Malta fell in 788. The last one was given to his son-in-law Micheal Rangabes (Matrieneally married to Theognosia Kalopragmon, first born daughter of Elpidios).

During that time the Empire enjoy good stability. The Iconoclast view, in which Elpidios and the Basileus believed, gradually became the view of the majority in 783. The same year, Basileus Konstantinos V "The Lion" died, replaced by Christophoros "The Blind". In 789, the new Basileus converted to the Paulician heresy and alienated much of the empire. Weary of the power of Elpidios he revoked his right to Drepanon which the Doux accepted begrugingly to avoid war against the emperor, but a couple of months later, in 790, the emperor tried to revoke the county of Tripolitana. Enraged, Elpidios rebelled against the emperor even if the odds were not in his favor. Though the Basileus died of poor health shortly after the start. The Imperial throne passed to a young Diogene. At his ascension he abandoned Iconoclasm and every one in the Empire we're asked to do the same. Originally Elpidios refused, but a year later at the urging of his friend he also abandoned Iconoclasm. Iconoclasm fell out of favor in the populace in 797, but religious tension didn't stop there. In 799, Diogene adopted Iconoclasm again and the next year he converted to the Western Church.

At home, Elpidios had some problems. The County of Drepanon was controlled by another Strategos and the Count of Syrte was killed in an explosion in 790, without issue the title was inherited by Elpidios. Since the Basileus didn't permit his vassals to make war against each other Elpidios tried to undermined his authority. Soon enough the Doux presented an ultimatum to Diogene who relinquished to the demand. Drepanon was retaken in 793. Also Elpidios didn't realised that the Count of Djerba was grant a title of Strategos by the Basileus and that he wasn't his vassal anymore. Djerba fell in 800 and was grant to Elpidios' son Theophanes.

Elpidios died peacefully of old age in 804.

Doux Elpidios had three children:
- Countess Theognosia (769- ) married matrieneally to Count Micheal Rangabes of Rhodes and Malta. Who was the heiress for 14 years and educated has such.
- Queen Agne (782- ) married to King Desiderius II of Lombardy. Not the sharpest tool around.
- Doux Theophanes (783- ) married to Countess Anna Aineidas of Leptis Magna. Portrait of his father, he replaced him as Protostator of the Empire, but not as Strategos of Sicily.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9196 on: December 05, 2015, 02:46:59 pm »

So I've been trying to run my first republic game, and I have no idea what's going on. I organized into a republic after I united Finland (and converted my heir to orthodox by sending him to be tutored by Bulgarian mercenaries, he was the one who actually made the switch) but all of my previously tribal vassals are becoming feudal now instead of republican. Is that supposed to happen? I thought that they would become the heads of the other patrician families, but it just pulled random dudes with no holdings from my capital. The malus for being the wrong religion was bad enough, but "wrong government -30" is approaching crippling on top of the short reign penalty.

Edit: They rebelled and I replaced them. I suppose the issue worked itself out.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 03:05:15 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9197 on: December 05, 2015, 04:35:56 pm »

So I've been trying to run my first republic game, and I have no idea what's going on. I organized into a republic after I united Finland (and converted my heir to orthodox by sending him to be tutored by Bulgarian mercenaries, he was the one who actually made the switch) but all of my previously tribal vassals are becoming feudal now instead of republican. Is that supposed to happen? I thought that they would become the heads of the other patrician families, but it just pulled random dudes with no holdings from my capital. The malus for being the wrong religion was bad enough, but "wrong government -30" is approaching crippling on top of the short reign penalty.

Sometimes the vassals become normal (non-playable) republics, sometimes they become feudal, I don't really know why though.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9198 on: December 05, 2015, 07:08:16 pm »

I was struck by the desire to play this, but update.  I dont think the save will transfer, and I think itd be hard to run 700 years in a month
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9199 on: December 05, 2015, 11:25:28 pm »

Sometimes the vassals become normal (non-playable) republics, sometimes they become feudal, I don't really know why though.

Is it not to do with the capital holding (castle, town or temple) of the county?

I've never really tried a Republic, but in my present game I do have a single Republic vassal who utterly loathes me: -30 wrong government, -20 crown authority, -19 foreigner, -10 for imperial law, -20 desires kingdom title and probably a few other things. My chancellor is more or less camped in Genoa so I can make at least one of the patrician families Scottish...

Pretty good game I've got going. Vassalised the pope and reformed the Holy Roman Empire (I'm not sure how interesting that's meant to be though... not very apparently) and have Britain, Spain, most of Italy and France as well as Africa from Morocco/Mauretania all the way over to the border with Egypt, owned by the Mubakarid Caliphate, who I rival for power.

Waiting for the Aztecs, see if I can beat them back without much bother. I can field about 130k troops, which is a pain to organise, but ah well.

Is there a limit to how I often you can request crusades?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9200 on: December 05, 2015, 11:50:22 pm »

I believe that crusades can be requested once every... Thirty years? Fifty? Something like that, preventing you from spamming them to gain all of the infidel kingdoms. Unless you are Muslim, in which case you have the Invasion CB to do just that... But aside from the required delay between crusades, I am certain that no hard limit exists to how many of them you can call. So using them whenever you can is a very good idea.

Also, fair warning, Aztec event troops go through levies like a knife through butter. Obviously you still want levies for the numbers, but you need to back them up with retinues and mercenaries when facing the Aztecs. Retinues on one flank, mercenaries on the other and levies in the center should work well, depending on what type of retinues you use and the generals leading the different wings of the army. Find some nice, defendable terrain on the coast (so you can ship in/out supporting armies to avoid attrition) and the Aztec armies shouldn't be much trouble. Hopefully.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9201 on: December 06, 2015, 04:59:37 pm »

I believe that crusades can be requested once every... Thirty years? Fifty?

Here you go.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 05:17:12 pm by gimli »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9202 on: December 06, 2015, 05:54:08 pm »

I was struck by the desire to play this, but update.  I dont think the save will transfer, and I think itd be hard to run 700 years in a month

Some of the chatter on the Paradox forums seems to indicate that the save will transfer depending on when you last updated.  The most latest patch supposedly only effects mongol behavior so won't interfere with the save.  The patch before the latest one (around September?) caused me trouble, but I also bought some new expansions which could also be the issue.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9203 on: December 06, 2015, 07:00:41 pm »

Why fight Aztecs or doom Mongols for that matter
Make the Aztecmongols become you

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9204 on: December 06, 2015, 08:09:31 pm »

Well I figured starting couldn't hurt too much. :)

Just today.  I died of the fluenza on November 8, 769, then of depression summer of 770, then  on January 3rd, 769 (3 days into the game) and then I died in combat whle mindlessly joining wars with my whole army numbering a fierce 331 troops :|

After that, I rolled up again, and my liege died of me-induced stress (for outing his lovers, spreadng the rumors, etc) and then I murderzed hs fat slovernly son, and then the 1 year old son of that  guy.

I just murderzed my way through 3 generations and inherited the High Chiefdom, going from 300 troops to 1800.

pedit:  I raised the two gen2 daughters of the high chief's line, and made one my ward.  While I was murderizing my way across my country they turned 16, and I made my ward my concubine.  I can imagine that.  I killed her grandfather, father, and brother, raised her under my direct supervision, and when she came out the other side with 25 diplomacy I concubined her.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 10:34:33 pm by pisskop »
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9205 on: December 07, 2015, 02:59:13 am »

HOLY SHIT.

Has....has 4x speed ALWAYS been this fast for everyone else?
I recently got a not shit computer and now that I've played CK2 on it just...holy fucking fuckballs.

Seriously, 4x before was like 1x now, that's ridiculous.
No WONDER I'm the only one who gets bored of this so easily, I had 4 times as much "waiting for shit to happen" as everyone else.
Jeebus.

pedit:  I raised the two gen2 daughters of the high chief's line, and made one my ward.  While I was murderizing my way across my country they turned 16, and I made my ward my concubine.  I can imagine that.  I killed her grandfather, father, and brother, raised her under my direct supervision, and when she came out the other side with 25 diplomacy I concubined her.
I imagine that the whole time you were raising her you were taunting her. For X years she woke up to you saying "WELCOME BACK TO THE WORLD WHERE I MURDERED EVERYONE YOU LOVED!"
And on her 16th birthday you sung "Happy Birthday to you, we're gonna fuck soon, I muuuurdered your family, and I'll rape your butt too!"
You fucking monster.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9206 on: December 07, 2015, 07:15:52 am »

HOLY SHIT.

I recently got a not shit computer and now that I've played CK2 on it just...holy fucking fuckballs.

No WONDER I'm the only one who gets bored of this so easily, I had 4 times as much "waiting for shit to happen" as everyone else.
Jeebus.

I imagine that the whole time you were raising her you were taunting her. For X years she woke up to you saying "WELCOME BACK TO THE WORLD WHERE I MURDERED EVERYONE YOU LOVED!"
And on her 16th birthday you sung "Happy Birthday to you, we're gonna fuck soon, I muuuurdered your family, and I'll rape your butt too!"
You fucking monster.
"The life and Times of a Medieval Moralist; Book I: Bride Grooming"
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9207 on: December 07, 2015, 09:24:27 am »

HOLY SHIT.

No WONDER I'm the only one who gets bored of this so easily, I had 4 times as much "waiting for shit to happen" as everyone else

Jeebus.

I also have this issue. Usually quit the game after 200 years because even on max speed it took ages to get through even a month.

New PC and I'm actually dreading getting into the 1400's so my quest to make the world Scottish will end before it can really begin!

I apparently don't really like changes in characters, I get a little too attached to one really good one and then get their dumbass children, and that was what usually inspired the quit. Now it's like "okay, I'll give it another few years and see where it's at" and usually get something interesting to happen. Like taking over France.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9208 on: December 07, 2015, 09:29:31 am »

or most of your nobles rnging craven and you pulling infirm and gluttonous
PKs DF Mod!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9209 on: December 07, 2015, 02:21:24 pm »

HOLY SHIT.

Jeebus.

You fucking monster.
Heh, Vipir the Derpressomancer did that too a bunch of times (Molag Bal cultist, remember?). Wound up marrying one of the concubines once official waifu ended up dying or being murdered by him or something.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 612 613 [614] 615 616 ... 1002