Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 622 623 [624] 625 626 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 1990093 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #9345 on: December 31, 2015, 05:42:29 pm »

-Marry a Catholic woman, whole family converts to Catholicism (from slavic pagan)

-Use newfound christian powers to borrow from the Jewish

-Use shekels to fund the formation of Rus

-Realm won't fracture (as much) due to Gavalkind

-Use the fame boost from creating Rus to convert back to pagan

just as planned...?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9346 on: December 31, 2015, 05:50:23 pm »

-Marry a Catholic woman, whole family converts to Catholicism (from slavic pagan)
This is bascially how Poland converted in 966 IRL.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9347 on: December 31, 2015, 10:33:25 pm »

Start up a new game in Armenia as a Zoroastrian, figured it'd be fun to try and go for the Zoroastrian Persian empire as a goal.

A few months in, rebellion by a bunch of my vassels who hate me for being an Infidel. Ok, no big deal. We're close in numbers and I call in my Allies, the Abyssids (I guess I'm a tributary of theirs). With their doomstacks the revolt is easily crushed. With all my main rivals captured I force their conversion and the kingdom is pretty stable. Awesome.

Fast forward one year...MASSIVE christian revolt happens with nearly every county in the kingdom revolting and about 6000 enemy troops to my 1000, and the Abyssids apparently can't get involved in this war.

Thanks, game. Thanks.

It's well known that the Zoroastrian starts are among the most difficult in the game, probably only just behind nestorian Socotra or Jewish Semien / Gideon.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9348 on: December 31, 2015, 10:50:13 pm »

Religion in a realm is infectous.

Especially if you held power long enough to have solid bonds with people.  Teyll change over via events and to appease you so you dont revoke.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9349 on: January 01, 2016, 01:06:23 am »

This is bascially how Poland converted in 966 IRL.
It is also how Charlemagne's ancestors became Christian.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9350 on: January 01, 2016, 04:02:37 am »

FINALLY having a good run in this.
Svipjod start in Charledate. Ragnarr Lodbrok just made the empire of Scandinavia. WOOT.

Granted this start is pretty much "babbies first game" it still feels like quite an epic accomplishment when all my games seem to end in failure after literally a single mistake.

Still, pretty much went from duke to EMPRAH in one lifetime (dear ol' dad subjugated Jylland and like one county of sveden before he got stabbed a lot because berserking) so that's pretty great even in such a lopsided start.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 07:23:03 am by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9351 on: January 01, 2016, 05:07:52 am »

okay, got the game a couple days ago

started as count of antalos because i was feeling like not having kingly or imperative responsibility in my third game

...and then, over the course of about 30 seconds, I noticed a revolt was going on in Harer, I sent some troops to help out... and my liege duke, Amare of Damot, started a faction to set me up as king, sent out an ultimatum immediately, which the king just frigging accepted, so now I'm king of abyssinia. That's strange. I guess there's some claim there, since the king was my cousin (I think we shared a grandparent? I didn't really pay attention to the king, since I had a duke to worry about more).

also i'm slightly worried about inbreeding since my white son married a white girl who I think may be from the same dynasty as his white mother

...but they're second cousins at closest i'm pretty sure

maybe i should stop marrying princesses of the byzantine empire if i'm really worried about the possibility of inbreeding, huh

EDIT: ugh, ruler of the byzantine empire is asking me to join a holy war, which sorta sucks since literally everyone around is muslim (my borders are entirely shi'ite, except assab, which is sunni

also, he's my son's uncle... and his wife's father, oh, i guess that inbreeding's worse than i thought
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 05:11:52 am by Putnam »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9352 on: January 01, 2016, 09:56:51 am »

One thing that helps to avoid inbreeding (I think) is the colour and size of the blood drop in the top-right corner in your dynasties portraits.

A big bright red one is a close relative (within two generations I think) and a smaller, darker one is a distant relative. I think you're safe marrying a distant relative, but close relatives are bad.

Bear in mind, of course, the blood drop size/colour is relative to your character, so you will want to be wary when making two other dynasty members marry. Though I did have a slightly amusing instance of one of my inbred family members be a genius, which basically eliminated the attribute penalty...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9353 on: January 01, 2016, 04:14:36 pm »

Svipjod start in Charledate. Ragnarr Lodbrok just made the empire of Scandinavia. WOOT.

Granted this start is pretty much "babbies first game" it still feels like quite an epic accomplishment when all my games seem to end in failure after literally a single mistake.

Still, pretty much went from duke to EMPRAH in one lifetime (dear ol' dad subjugated Jylland and like one county of sveden before he got stabbed a lot because berserking) so that's pretty great even in such a lopsided start.
Norse are easy mode for short term. Long term's a little more difficult due to the need to reform the faith, but once that's done it's simple.
Inheritance is also FUN.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9354 on: January 03, 2016, 09:14:36 pm »

Norse are easy mode for short term. Long term's a little more difficult due to the need to reform the faith, but once that's done it's simple.
Inheritance is also FUN.
Well since I'm now an emperor, Gavelkind doesn't really have any power over me at the moment :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9355 on: January 03, 2016, 09:15:19 pm »

What about kingdom titles?

Meaning: how many do you have?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9356 on: January 03, 2016, 09:24:04 pm »

Once you're an emperor, you can't give kingdoms away fast enough :P
(based on my experience having not played this game since...  Horse Lords came out?  Not for any good reason, just moved on for a while.  But I bet stuff has changed)

Heck I'm still mostly sure my first successful character didn't have any counties toward the end there.  Only Scandinavia, Sweden, and maybe a duchy.  But last I played you certainly couldn't give away your last county, so I'm probably misremembering.

If I did have a county, is was neglected as hell.  But taxes from 7+ kings (or 9 princes?) and a retinue to end worlds meant my dynasty had basically won.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9357 on: January 03, 2016, 09:26:44 pm »

I don't actually like giving away kingdom titles... I basically only do it to avoid going over the vassal cap.

Even then, vice royalties.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9358 on: January 03, 2016, 09:29:36 pm »

I tend to only give away Kingsdom when I can be certain no different race/religion vassals will be present to get up in the new king's business. I delegate stuff so problems don't reach me, if someone else has to clean up a mess I inherited through succession or waging a war that stuck me with people that hate me handing it off to someone else only delays my problems since the AI isn't that good at enforcing compliance among vassals.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9359 on: January 03, 2016, 10:25:20 pm »

I think I was giving the kingdoms out to family, since I tended to be kind to any dynasty members (despite score being a joke).  Especially granting kingdoms to kids, heh.

I think many of them were gradually replaced.  I'd like to believe it was by lords of the local culture, which would be cool.  But since I won these areas through holy war, it was probably disloyal lords of my culture (appointed in desperation by regents of kids).

I was the best emperor of Europe
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 622 623 [624] 625 626 ... 1002