Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 838 839 [840] 841 842 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2006002 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #12585 on: September 03, 2017, 09:51:07 pm »

Yes, all land is worth taking, but it it worth taking provinces in Norway and Sweden that produce .8 tax a month and field thirty men, or it it more valuable to focus on the home front, securing valuable Italian and French provinces? The Vikings are a constant irritation, but an irritation at best, aside from occasional host invasions. Plus, if I deal in the Scandis and that province or its holder revolts, I have to send men on a long boat ride off.
The opportunity cost of messing around with tribals, not just vikingss, is high and the rewards are fairly low unless you're also tribal..
Then you might be interested in setting up a buffer state; converting a few duchies and then making them independent under a family member, so somebody else deals with the bother but you still have an alliance in case you need to make sure they don't get totally wrecked.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12586 on: September 03, 2017, 10:32:34 pm »

Yeah, just because you conquered a place doesn't mean you have to keep it.

While doing my Caliphate Strikes Back run, pre-mystics, I ended up conquering Italy and inheriting chunks of the HRE. I actually only noticed the latter because the emperor DoW'd me. I just set them all free and went back to watching the Middle East. Was a good call too, Mongol doomblob rolled around and vassalised the HRE right after that. For whatever reason they went all the way from the Tarim desert to the HRE, but never bothered going south outside of HRE's Jerusalem. I suppose I should be glad, doubt the run would've survived it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12587 on: September 04, 2017, 04:50:19 pm »

Yes, all land is worth taking, but it it worth taking provinces in Norway and Sweden that produce .8 tax a month and field thirty men, or it it more valuable to focus on the home front, securing valuable Italian and French provinces? The Vikings are a constant irritation, but an irritation at best, aside from occasional host invasions. Plus, if I deal in the Scandis and that province or its holder revolts, I have to send men on a long boat ride off.
The opportunity cost of messing around with tribals, not just vikingss, is high and the rewards are fairly low unless you're also tribal..
Vikings are all right once you figure out you only need to infect them with Christians, then they're pretty chill after that

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12588 on: September 05, 2017, 12:15:07 pm »

I think at this point my Court Chaplains (plural, for reasons outlined shortly) spend more time in Swedish dungeons than their own rooms in my court. Every ten years or so I do another round of "pass off all the priests of the realm to the pagans" and send them out to preach, and only rarely meet with success. I also am apparently the only nation to do this, despite the fact that it allows me to get rid of unruly vassals ("Enjoy your trip to Khazaria, Lord Gunter!") without having to imprison them myself and take tyranny to get rid of them. Instead Fred the Viking knocks their block off and they're replaced by the next in line. Unfortunately since I usually play catholic, that means that Orthodoxy never really spreads unless the byzablob happens.

Although I will say this time that Orthodoxy's done quite well. They've basically replaced the Muslims at this point - I see that without the Abbablob, Arabia cannot hold itself against heresy. Unfortunately, with the purple attention elsewhere, Suomenusuko has been given the go ahead to become what it always knew it could be: GOD.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12589 on: September 05, 2017, 12:18:49 pm »

I think the AI only starts sending priests to pagan realms in the later time periods. When I'm playing a pagan in the Charlemagne start, I pretty much never get priests. Maybe once in a while.

If I'm still a pagan in like, 1066? Or if I start a game then, then I'm inundated with them.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12590 on: September 05, 2017, 01:35:29 pm »

* scriver subtlily moves the historical record of priests imprisoned or murdered while preaching in Scandinavia under the carpet
Love, scriver~

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12591 on: September 05, 2017, 08:29:05 pm »

* scriver subtlily moves the historical record of priests imprisoned or murdered while preaching in Scandinavia under the carpet
Hopefully this one doesn't get replaced by a shock image like last time I linked an image. Spoilering it for safety anyways.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #12592 on: September 06, 2017, 06:31:08 pm »

Vikings are all right once you figure out you only need to infect them with Christians, then they're pretty chill after that
But what do I do when the bloody Norse reform?

I had that problem in my Roman game. Damn Norse reformed, now I get to play goalie against aggressive Norseman bullying the continent.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12593 on: September 06, 2017, 06:40:40 pm »

Do what they did historically and prevent them from reforming by claiming Denmark for Christianity.
Love, scriver~

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12594 on: September 06, 2017, 06:43:00 pm »

Found this on reddit

Karming empire is a possibility now.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12595 on: September 06, 2017, 08:05:35 pm »

I want to see one of Gliterhoof's descendants as emperor

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12596 on: September 07, 2017, 05:44:49 pm »

But what do I do when the bloody Norse reform?

I had that problem in my Roman game. Damn Norse reformed, now I get to play goalie against aggressive Norseman bullying the continent.
Declare Germany to be a no-bully zone, from which you can then progressively strike into Denmark and then Sweden with deus vult bullying. Once Denmark and Sweden are allowed to bully everyone else things should calm down until the Icelandic menace devours the world. If the HRE gets bullied into oblivion all hope is lost, flee to India or pray to Odin for deliverance

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12597 on: September 12, 2017, 06:49:37 pm »

Spoiler: bigolemap (click to show/hide)

So, in 978, byzantine is not on the table when they are unfied.  35k to my 25k or so.

I just finished sieging Rome to end their petty little crusade whille raiding italy to support my vassal germany in their effort to take land.

Hispania actually lost most of spain for a while, but are creeping back in.  For a while castille was the dominant iberian power.  As it is, they are now the de jure holders of brittany.  What a joke.

Egypt is the most powerful mussie, excepting maybe syria.  Khazaria has finally stopped reeling long enough to retake Rus, and Ruthenia is now mine.  I had a string of bad emperors, and cheating wives who needing murdering.  their sons also required murdering.  We almost lost the empire due to the thinning of the male lineage until a daughter with a non-pisskop was the heir.  But we fixed that.

Gonna keep going for a while to see what happens.  The catholic world is dead; shattered into heresies and a mixture of norse and my own conquests.  Speaking of, sweden and danmark are my religion now, as are several smaller counties around me.  those arseholes.

For my own, I just finished dowing every single small state next to me at once, in an attempt to game the stupid 'defensive alliance' system.  nom nom nom
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12598 on: September 13, 2017, 10:26:32 am »

Depending on your retinues you could probably beat their 35k without too much trouble. With Italian or Scottish it'd be easy; with pure Defense retinues you could probably do it but you'd need to set up some good ambushes like moving your retinues to their border before war declaration and then cleaning up as many of their levies as possible before they combine.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12599 on: September 16, 2017, 05:46:40 pm »

It's been really bothering me recently how the Byzantine Empire never falls in this game. Starting in 1066, the Byzantines lose Armenia, at most. It doesn't bother me as much in the earlier starting periods because there's plenty of time for history to fly off the rails before Byzantium's historical decline, but the gradual destruction of the Byzantine Empire was a driving force throughout much of medieval history, and Seljuk conflict was what really caused its death spiral to kick off, IMO.

If it were up to me, Suleiman Seljuk would be added to the Turkic conquerors, and he would always declare an invasion of Anatolia, which would be renamed "Rum" if held by a Turkish character (rather than Rum being an uncreatable titular title existing 1077 onward.)
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 838 839 [840] 841 842 ... 1002