Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 846 847 [848] 849 850 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 1990207 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #12705 on: November 10, 2017, 07:19:41 am »

That "servant no more" achievement is presumably achievable either by becoming a Satanist and regaining your scimitar, or by marrying four straight lustful women and looking the other way when one of them cheats on you.

Whathow? "A Servant No More - As Mu’nis al-Muzaffar of Galilee in 867, become an Emperor and have at least 100 realm size"?
Love, scriver~

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12706 on: November 10, 2017, 10:05:30 am »

That "servant no more" achievement is presumably achievable either by becoming a Satanist and regaining your scimitar, or by marrying four straight lustful women and looking the other way when one of them cheats on you.

Whathow? "A Servant No More - As Mu’nis al-Muzaffar of Galilee in 867, become an Emperor and have at least 100 realm size"?

I think that ruler is the one who's a eunuch.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12707 on: November 10, 2017, 10:15:19 am »

You can't marry as a eunuch, period. You can't even force your own courtiers to marry you.

That said, it's way easier than it looks, precisely because of the Satanist stuff. You don't even need to use dark healing to remove the trait, although that's probably a good backup plan. All the Satanist features make it absurdly easy to, say, kidnap your emperor and then force him to join your cult. Since you'll outrank him, he'll automatically surrender in all wars to you. It should be trivial to take over the empire from within and get to 100 realm size (if he's not at it already).

Even if you didn't have Satanist stuff, it's probably not that hard anyway. You're 22, you have your duchy, and you're relatively close to holy war targets. It's just not going to be that hard barring the unlucky "died of natural causes" at age 50 stuff.

Ten Thrones (Have your dynasty rule 10 independent Feudal/Iqta/Monastic Feudal Kingdoms or Empires with at least 25 realm size each. You must be one of them.) is going to be way more obnoxious because of the AI's inability to hold on to its own kingdoms. By the time you get to the 9th, the 1st and 2nd will have idiotically lost their thrones to god knows what.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:19:02 am by ZeroGravitas »

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12708 on: November 10, 2017, 11:00:13 am »

By the time you get to the 9th, the 1st and 2nd will have idiotically lost their thrones to god knows what.

Keep all 10 of them under wraps and give 'em all away at once?
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12709 on: November 10, 2017, 11:52:34 am »

By the time you get to the 9th, the 1st and 2nd will have idiotically lost their thrones to god knows what.
Keep all 10 of them under wraps and give 'em all away at once?
This is probably the way to do it. Being an emperor and having them all as vassals helps too, since you can just make sure everything is in place before releasing them all in one go.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12710 on: November 10, 2017, 12:11:14 pm »

Well, for one, if it's a de jure vassal you can't release them, right? You can't grant independence to de jure vassals.

But what I meant was about them losing to internal revolts or just flat-out giving in to faction demands to put someone else on the throne. Doesn't matter if they're your vassals or not for that.

10 kingdoms is just lot of titles, too. That's every kingdom title in Iberia + France/Aquitaine, and not all of them are 25 realm size. I guess it doesn't have to be de jure realm size, so you can, say, take counties from Aquitaine and put them under Navarre. But a lot will depend on exactly how they script out the requirements.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12711 on: November 10, 2017, 12:22:17 pm »

You can't marry as a eunuch, period. You can't even force your own courtiers to marry you.

That said, it's way easier than it looks, precisely because of the Satanist stuff. You don't even need to use dark healing to remove the trait, although that's probably a good backup plan. All the Satanist features make it absurdly easy to, say, kidnap your emperor and then force him to join your cult. Since you'll outrank him, he'll automatically surrender in all wars to you. It should be trivial to take over the empire from within and get to 100 realm size (if he's not at it already).

Even if you didn't have Satanist stuff, it's probably not that hard anyway. You're 22, you have your duchy, and you're relatively close to holy war targets. It's just not going to be that hard barring the unlucky "died of natural causes" at age 50 stuff.

Ten Thrones (Have your dynasty rule 10 independent Feudal/Iqta/Monastic Feudal Kingdoms or Empires with at least 25 realm size each. You must be one of them.) is going to be way more obnoxious because of the AI's inability to hold on to its own kingdoms. By the time you get to the 9th, the 1st and 2nd will have idiotically lost their thrones to god knows what.
Gah, that's right. I was thinking that because I know there's special text if you're a eunuch and your wife gets pregnant.

IIRC you can't kidnap emperor-tier people anymore, though. They went out of their way to make expanding satanist cults harder.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12712 on: November 10, 2017, 01:45:13 pm »

But you CAN kidnap their heirs ...Proved by my satanic Norse-Jew Doge of Venice, with the heir to Francia being converted in my prison, and the heir to Lombardy my satanic lover.

Lets not even mention my peglegged pet-parrot-having RNG norse-jew satanic rabbi-physician. LOL
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12713 on: November 10, 2017, 04:26:48 pm »

Gah, that's right. I was thinking that because I know there's special text if you're a eunuch and your wife gets pregnant.

IIRC you can't kidnap emperor-tier people anymore, though. They went out of their way to make expanding satanist cults harder.

yeah and honestly I had to check myself - like you, my first instinct was to get cucked on purpose. (goddamn it ck2)

but yeah, as ehndras suggested, maybe go after the heirs instead.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12714 on: November 10, 2017, 06:44:36 pm »

I'm a bastard, I wage genocide on entire bloodlines and strategically marry my offspring in a way that I'll inherit various kingdoms within 3-4 generations.

Well, playing Venice now. Man, MRs are a totally different game.
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12715 on: November 10, 2017, 08:16:57 pm »

my favorite MR are Muslim caliphate MRs.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12716 on: November 10, 2017, 08:19:16 pm »

I did that. Started out as a tribe somewhere in Morocco, my empire spanned North Africa and a great deal of the Middle East.

I had more money than I knew what to do with.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12717 on: November 10, 2017, 08:24:45 pm »

Wait... How do you play non Venice/Genoa/byzantine MR's? I didn't realize any existed o.O

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12718 on: November 10, 2017, 08:34:15 pm »

I think the only ironman way is to ascend from tribalism via a coastal city, rather than a castle.  I've done it a couple times, most successfully as Mali.  The trickiest part is definitely reforming the religion in order to abandon tribalism.

(Or just converting to a non-pagan faith.  I'm considering a Muslim Mali trade republic run, soon)

In non-ironman, you can create a new merchant republic simply by giving a mayor a coastal duchy.  You can do that in ironman too, but this way you can load your game as a member of that new republic.

Edit:  I'm probably going to wait for the patch though, hrrgh.  Lots of good stuff in there.
One thing that made me happier than it probably ought to:
Code: [Select]
- The 'All' Gender Equality rule no longer prohibits Achievements, though you will not be able
It's silly and ahistoric, and it's got me interested in trying for achievements for the first time in a while.  (Though that's largely due to reforming the Roman Empire as a West African trade republic, in Ironman, and figuring I'd never top that)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 08:38:41 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12719 on: November 10, 2017, 08:47:41 pm »

Wait... How do you play non Venice/Genoa/byzantine MR's? I didn't realize any existed o.O
- There's Visby, in Gotland from 1066 to some indeterminate point afterward.

- There's the Hansa, which exists in northern Germany in the later start dates.

- There's a few smaller republics in Italy in certain start dates, like Capua, Pisa, Ancona, and the like (although they're not always playable due to a bug.)

I really wish they'd make the province of Novgorod count as coastal so we could play the Republic of Novgorod, but alas.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 846 847 [848] 849 850 ... 1002