Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 871 872 [873] 874 875 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 1990653 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #13080 on: March 10, 2018, 12:38:19 am »

There's the Satanic society, but no religion, as far as I know.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13081 on: March 10, 2018, 12:43:37 am »

There's definitely mods for that, though.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13082 on: March 10, 2018, 07:52:06 am »

If the Satanic society is anything like the Hindu equivalent, you will get burdened with unpleasant genetic traits if you engage with it. I think using the powers makes it worse.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13083 on: March 10, 2018, 09:49:30 am »

The Satanist secret society was actually super overpowered at one point. It gives some of the "7 deadly sins traits", but the rewards are pretty powerful, because you have dark magic. They've nerfed it since then, but its still pretty powerful if you don't get caught.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13084 on: March 10, 2018, 12:54:46 pm »

The whole cult mechanic baffles me to be honest.

Its either a)

a sideshow and something to content oneself with instead of trampling over everything (or when your liege says no wars allowed ever)

or b)

a means by which the ai with mess with you and destabilize large parts of your realm/dynasty.

ckii is about taking land via wars.  Running a cult or getting message spammed by a guild is more annoying than not, and when you have 18 children to set education for and 4 different realms you are watching for weakness, and when you are waiting the agonizing 20 days for a response to your 10g ransom demand its easy to accidentally click on and trigger an event.  Its fluff that is fun for a few decades, but demands more attention than it seems to be worth to any top-liege.

And in fact, they are designed to work against the top liege-lord, in the case of satanists or religious cults in general.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13085 on: March 10, 2018, 02:43:40 pm »

tbf the dark healing thing is quite useful for returning the ability to have children. Had it not been for that I'd have lost the game.

Well, the long line of Hazda's that had been running the empire for generations, anyway...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13086 on: March 10, 2018, 05:40:47 pm »

ckii is about taking land via wars.  Running a cult or getting message spammed by a guild is more annoying than not, and when you have 18 children to set education for and 4 different realms you are watching for weakness, and when you are waiting the agonizing 20 days for a response to your 10g ransom demand its easy to accidentally click on and trigger an event.
I think you're confusing CKII with Total War. CK2 is about making stories with a medieval dynasty, and while war is one component, so are strategic marriages, assassinations, and raiding. I enjoy messing around with the societies, although they're a bit overpowered, to painting the map my color one province at a time forever.

Cults help me create the stories I want in my head much more than the constant warfare. And I enjoy that a lot more than painting the map my color.
Sigtext

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13087 on: March 11, 2018, 09:35:11 am »

ckii is about taking land via wars.

nahhhhhh

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13088 on: March 11, 2018, 09:38:41 am »

playing ck2 like TW where your only goal is to get land and use that land to become stronger so you can take more land, ad infinitum until the whole world is painted your colour is probbably the least interesting way possible
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13089 on: March 11, 2018, 11:04:04 am »

Nah, is great fun.

Also seeing how long you can keep everything owned by de jure leaders before everybody gets greedy. I like seeing the troop numbers go up.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13090 on: March 11, 2018, 11:19:00 am »

I like ironmanning it.

when you lose three kings in quick succession its really hard to keep the empire intact, and if you make multiple top-tier titles you'll lose them easily.

sometimes, the game just has it out for you, and EG is usually more interesting than LG; though midgame can be fun if you manage to bump uglies with a powerhouse empire like France or Byzantium or one of the muzzies, if they are doing well.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13091 on: March 11, 2018, 11:39:42 am »

Finally, finally managed to do the Outside Bet achievements (as Svend II, conquer England). Damn lucky too, because he immediately died as soon as the war was over. It's a damn shame that it's next to impossible to ally with the HRE in Stamford Bridge, because the Kaiser's unmarried sisters are all celibate.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13092 on: March 11, 2018, 12:02:19 pm »

I don’t think I’ve ever played a non-Ironman game. There are times when I’ve stopped playing any particular save due to it (my most recent game as India ‘cause I have a massive revolt to deal with, for example) but I usually intend to go back to them at some point.

I also have difficulty with the outside bet thing. Not really sure how to approach it heh. Won it as the other two though.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13093 on: March 11, 2018, 04:25:01 pm »

I don’t think I’ve ever played a non-Ironman game. There are times when I’ve stopped playing any particular save due to it (my most recent game as India ‘cause I have a massive revolt to deal with, for example) but I usually intend to go back to them at some point.

I also have difficulty with the outside bet thing. Not really sure how to approach it heh. Won it as the other two though.
First: Svend II has way too many children. You are going to use them to get as many king-tier allies as you can. You can usually get marriages with France and Hungary going very easily. I also lucked out in that Harald peaced with Harold, grabbing random chunks of England, before William could usurp. You'll also want to abuse the business focus and the jew borrow/expel decisions to make money. If the war starts dragging for too long, switch to family focus for the health bonus so Svend doesn't keel over before time (you need him alive for the challenge to count). France will likely only agree to ally you after William has won and you've declared war, so you'll have to take the leap. If you are very lucky, you can sometimes manage a marriage-alliance with Norway or Sweden, which is just great. I actually got the immortal event chain to start midway through this but it fizzled out, and the satanists didn't respond to my interest.

For me the war devolved into an English doomstack roaming Normandy while everyone in my alliance were running rampant on England itself.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13094 on: March 11, 2018, 05:12:54 pm »

I like ironmanning it.

when you lose three kings in quick succession its really hard to keep the empire intact, and if you make multiple top-tier titles you'll lose them easily.

sometimes, the game just has it out for you, and EG is usually more interesting than LG; though midgame can be fun if you manage to bump uglies with a powerhouse empire like France or Byzantium or one of the muzzies, if they are doing well.
One way I've learned to reduce faction strength is join the Hermetic Society, find the strongest guy in the faction, then make them your apprentice. It immediately kicks them from the faction.
Satanists are also good for that, thanks to the kidnapping they have available.
Pages: 1 ... 871 872 [873] 874 875 ... 1002