Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 886 887 [888] 889 890 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 1990326 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #13305 on: April 15, 2018, 10:25:36 am »

To be honest, I've never had them come up enough to be annoyed. Where are you getting the CBs that let you expand that fast without needing to stop and do things like religious conversion along the way?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13306 on: April 15, 2018, 01:41:28 pm »

hmmm?
Regular wars.

I don't know how or if the type of war (de jure, holy, or the new 'prestige wars') has an effect on the threat gain.  But I prefer de jure to holy, and holy to prestige.  Though you have to take into account the amount and aesthetic shape of the land you will take . . .

I do retinues and vassal levies for my wars.  I crank up the taxes for my city and temples, and build a large retinue.  the 400/350 archer/LI squads are great for that.  cheap and numerous.  I send them to a border and attack with a fat stack of sieging troops.  I use the vassal troops if needed.  I take the castles by force if I must,  but thats really expensive with retinues, and I won't if I cant support the cost.  Which an emperor should be more or less able to do.

I convert on my way out, and I hand the land off to lowborn councilors of my vassals.  That way I get the best statlines and no claims attached.  It also weakens my vassals and means that they lord will spend his one chaplain on spreading the faith.  Rebellions are kind of an issue, but more an annoyance.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13307 on: April 15, 2018, 06:17:57 pm »

Yeah, I went on a holy war binge and my threat skyrockets. I usually don’t get much threat until I’m an emperor, ‘cause before that I’m being careful to tweak things for my benefit (claims and alliances to get the titles I need, basically) but when I get there I like to use my excessive resources to smash things and hand them out to anyone with high stewardship, so long as they’re not a direct heir to anything.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13308 on: April 15, 2018, 06:49:01 pm »

Are the prestige wars a new thing in Jade Dragon expansion?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13309 on: April 15, 2018, 06:54:55 pm »

yes.

You can do single counties or whole fucking countries.  Both cost a lot of prestige, and the whole country one requires that the defender 'be stronger than you'.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #13310 on: April 15, 2018, 07:25:34 pm »

What is everyone's opinion on defensive pacts?  do they make things harder in a fun way?
From what I've heard, the Devs play with defensive pacts off, so that from that what you will. I'd say: Unless you expect Mongols or Aztecs to drop in within 100 years to say hello (in which case, Defensive Pacts would be a helpful little welcoming party), play with them off.

I still haven't decided how I feel about all the Jade Dragon CBs. I can't tell if they're OP, balanced if only some are OP and not others, or what. I haven't really used them though, but maybe I should.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13311 on: April 15, 2018, 07:36:40 pm »

Great Invasion CB is useful for chunking out blobs while their backs are turned, but its easy to exploit.

The border disputes are a welcome if expensive respite for counts or dukes who are realm-locked under a king.  Like most Christians.  Its not useful for most kings, and too expensive to spam if you aren't a king.

Holy Wars and crusades remain my primary means of land-gaining en masse.  And taking land from powerful vassals who succeed in these.  But, I will say that I'm a fan of the new 'duchy-tier' de jure wars.

I haven't used the 'tributary states' CB much, because its usually worth more to just murder and absorb the target kingdom.  But every once in a while I do demand tribute from some marginally profitable count or duke in some land I don't actively want.  Tribute states would probably be more useful for a tribal who wanted to stay tribal or a nomad or some such poor-economy lord.  Or for RP purposes.

Force vassalization is, again, something more useful for people who don't have access to an easier CB.  Why force them to capitulate when you could more likely claim their land outright, or holy war it?

P:  Also, if tributary wars would cost no threat gain or not trigger defensive pacts, I might be more inclined to use them.  Actually, I'm making that an official suggestion.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 07:42:35 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13312 on: April 15, 2018, 09:28:10 pm »

What is everyone's opinion on defensive pacts?  do they make things harder in a fun way?
From what I've heard, the Devs play with defensive pacts off, so that from that what you will. I'd say: Unless you expect Mongols or Aztecs to drop in within 100 years to say hello (in which case, Defensive Pacts would be a helpful little welcoming party), play with them off.

Lol! That says quite a lot about it if they play with it off, doesn't it?

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #13313 on: April 15, 2018, 10:47:48 pm »

Yo! Just started playing, so I hope you don't mind a few silly questions. First, how does one tamp down on heresy? Right now, my beloved France is falling to it's seductive guile. The second, is how to force your vassals to accept things like greater Crown Authority. As I understand it, I would be a much stronger ruler if I could just convince them to accept my need for power...
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13314 on: April 15, 2018, 11:02:14 pm »

You can't force your vassals to accept greater Crown Authority. You have to persuade them by cultivating high relations and so on so forth. Handing out bribes, titles and marriages is the common way to go about it. The diplomacy/carousing focuses can help too, as could strategically removing particularly troublesome vassals via assassinations, fabricating claims or simply eating the tyranny hit and stripping titles.

Fighting heresy is a little more straightforward but more annoying too since it's very AI and RNG dependent. Obviously your chaplain should be trying to convert the heretics but in the meantime you should check your vassals for anyone following the heretic religion. If they are then you should be able to tell them to convert (or else) but in a worse-case scenario you have to find some way to replace them with those who follow the proper religion. Heretics will try to spread their religion around but if your vassals all follow the true religion then they'll use their chaplains to convert provinces back to the true faith instead, which should be enough to reverse its spread. With secret societies being added making sure that your vassals all follow the true religion is far more difficult to ensure, unfortunately.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13315 on: April 16, 2018, 03:52:28 am »

If heretics are crawling rampant around your kingdom:
Make a council of councilors that like you.
Bribe and convert whomever you can.
Get religious revocation laws.
then get your chaplain to proselytize.
Imprison the heretics.
First build a harem of heretics.
Then take their land.
Then fight the rest and revoke their land under threat of revocation.

Walking armies over counties and demanding revocation of those particular counties encourages vassals to hand them off.  Really, a good old fashioned civil war instigated by you is the surest way to purify your religious demographic.  In fact, the first law I ever get is plain old title revocation.  The second is late imperial rule or religious revocation.  The third is whichever I didn't grab second.  Fourth (or whenever I can squeeze it in) is increased burgher taxes.

Or just convert and go with the flow?  Ultimately the more !!Fun!! option.

Some general exceptions:
- pagans with same-group pagans in their lands are less problematic, but easy enough to convert by using either civil war excuses or by educating their children properly.
- Ditto for christain-religions.
- heretics can be fought off with holy orders (upkeep free) if you let them dow you in rebellion.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 03:56:01 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13316 on: April 16, 2018, 05:46:56 am »

Ugh I hate it when you get christains on your country... so hard to way out!
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13317 on: April 16, 2018, 07:08:43 am »

Nobody mentioned moral authority? Moral authority man.

Hard to keep up if it’s falling though, since it’s affected by everyone following the religion, but if it’s low you can get heresies popping up everywhere that follows the religion. Winning holy wars can keep it up, being a paragon of virtue too, spearing the faith; that kind of nonsense.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13318 on: April 16, 2018, 12:41:56 pm »

Nobody mentioned moral authority? Moral authority man.

Hard to keep up if it’s falling though, since it’s affected by everyone following the religion, but if it’s low you can get heresies popping up everywhere that follows the religion. Winning holy wars can keep it up, being a paragon of virtue too, spearing the faith; that kind of nonsense.
Plenty ways to keep 100 MA. Getting there is harder than keeping it, but it's possible. I've gotten there playing as the Pope who's also an immortal cat

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13319 on: April 16, 2018, 02:15:23 pm »

How? Can you appoint a pet as successor or somesuch? Or mods?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 886 887 [888] 889 890 ... 1002