Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 956 957 [958] 959 960 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 1990465 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #14355 on: January 06, 2019, 11:21:29 pm »

So in the process of doing the Satanist achivements.

1. Become Grandmaster of the Satanists.
2. Be the Child of Satan and then become the Grandmaster of the Satanists.

I took a queen all the way to the second highest rank only to fail at becoming Grandmaster because the Grandmaster refused to die. She did... a LOT of things to try and get there. She became publicly outed as a Satanist Queen and did her thing for years and years. She converted a Cardinal into the Satanist order, then made that Cardinal a pope. She sacrificed many dwarfs who may have also been babies. Also, luckily she got a quest to impregnate someone with the Child of Satan, so she impregnated her own daughter after breaking her mind and forcing her to be a Satanist.

Unfortunately, at the age of 57 she was killed by some demon hunters. But before she died she made her granddaughter, the Spawn of Satan, the heir to the Kingdom of Frisia.

A few uneventful years pass. I notice nothing really happens. None of the old Spawn of Satan events fire like the maid committing suicide or the witches or whatever. So I start wondering if something broke. Then I notice my government type is Reign of Terror. Oh yeah.

At 16, she immediately gets crowned by her Dark Father to become the Grandmaster of the Satanists, giving me both achievements.

And for extra kicks, I then used my Grandmaster powers to impregnate myself with another Child of Satan. We can't have enough Satanspawn after all.

I then asked the Pope (who's still the Satanist) to baptize my Satanspawn, but the holy water burned him.

Christianity is so fucked up right now.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14356 on: January 07, 2019, 12:06:41 pm »

Sweet Jesus...my understanding was that you could only impregnate random courtiers and/or the child of stan would not be of your dynasty...I was also under the impression that they were a "fake" demon spawn and not the same thing as the event driven version....

That sounds like a fun playthrough

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14357 on: January 07, 2019, 01:52:21 pm »

Sweet Jesus...my understanding was that you could only impregnate random courtiers and/or the child of stan would not be of your dynasty...I was also under the impression that they were a "fake" demon spawn and not the same thing as the event driven version....

I didn't think it would work too.

It makes me think the whole Satan worshipping thing would be really silly in a "no nonsense events" game as nothing would work.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14358 on: January 07, 2019, 03:42:38 pm »

I got this game from the Steam winter sale and I've yet to run a "real" campaign. Still, I've already had fun bordering on !!Fun!!. Highlights include:
  • I failed the tutorial. I had to white peace the conquest war it gives you against an isolated one-province tribe with a third of your manpower. (Too few men to siege after I twice tried and failed to take it by assault instead of the slow way.) And then the mission to assassinate my brother ran for like three years without a single attempt before I gave up, probably because he was leading troops (against my other brother).
  • Watched my real-life brother sort-of fail the tutorial. This one was unintentionally my fault, I had the absolute equality game setting turned on (my niece was interested, too) so even though he successfully assassinated the character's older brother it was his sister who inherited the kingdom. It was also funny earlier, he got an event where an injury forced him to retire from battle but a bit later he got a message about a commander gaining experience: his 77-year-old mother was kicking butt.
  • The look on my niece's face when I explained her character's liege's request to educate a child: "This means they want to take your son and heir, who is a Dog, and teach him to be a Horse instead."

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14359 on: January 07, 2019, 04:09:28 pm »

I got this game from the Steam winter sale and I've yet to run a "real" campaign. Still, I've already had fun bordering on !!Fun!!. Highlights include:
  • I failed the tutorial. I had to white peace the conquest war it gives you against an isolated one-province tribe with a third of your manpower. (Too few men to siege after I twice tried and failed to take it by assault instead of the slow way.) And then the mission to assassinate my brother ran for like three years without a single attempt before I gave up, probably because he was leading troops (against my other brother).
  • Watched my real-life brother sort-of fail the tutorial. This one was unintentionally my fault, I had the absolute equality game setting turned on (my niece was interested, too) so even though he successfully assassinated the character's older brother it was his sister who inherited the kingdom. It was also funny earlier, he got an event where an injury forced him to retire from battle but a bit later he got a message about a commander gaining experience: his 77-year-old mother was kicking butt.
  • The look on my niece's face when I explained her character's liege's request to educate a child: "This means they want to take your son and heir, who is a Dog, and teach him to be a Horse instead."
I don't know why but the only time I tried the tutorial I couldn't conquer that island, I didn't have enough ships to bring my troops there fast enough
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14360 on: January 07, 2019, 04:12:54 pm »

Yeah, we both hired mercenary ships to get there. You do get a substantial chunk of event money, by grabbing every ship available you can bring your levies (but not your vassals') in one trip.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14361 on: January 07, 2019, 04:15:36 pm »

Sounds hilarious when you put it that way
    Love, scriver~

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
    • 6th King of the Mafia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14362 on: January 07, 2019, 04:55:43 pm »

Assaulting an enemy holding is only worth it if you had at least 10 times the troops as the garrison, assuming patches haven't changed it.

Most folks recommend you start by playing in 1066 Ireland instead of doing the tutorial.
    Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
    Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
    Sigtext

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14363 on: January 07, 2019, 06:25:28 pm »

it's generally a great way to start a run as matilda of tuscany. never marry, bring forth the antichrist from your loins.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
    • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14364 on: January 07, 2019, 06:29:54 pm »

Then I notice my government type is Reign of Terror. Oh yeah.
    I'm sorry, what?
    Quote from: SalmonGod
    Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
    Quote from: Myroc
    Descan confirmed for antichrist.
    Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
    I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
    • Voice Fetishist
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14365 on: January 07, 2019, 06:44:58 pm »

Then I notice my government type is Reign of Terror. Oh yeah.
    I'm sorry, what?
    Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I really, really enjoy the new elective laws btw. Basically select it every time for maximum fun.

Edit: I just noticed I'm a democratic Kingdom of Terror.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
    • Belongs in the Trash!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14366 on: January 08, 2019, 12:53:57 am »

I don't know why but the only time I tried the tutorial I couldn't conquer that island, I didn't have enough ships to bring my troops there fast enough

They might have changed the tutorial (It gave me the king of Leon I think), I broke the tutorial because it asked me to get married but I set up a betrothal with some minor.  Presumably the tutorial was waiting for my character to be married, but that wasn't going to happen for a good long while.
    I consume
    I purchase
    I consume again

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14367 on: January 08, 2019, 09:04:13 am »

I'm pretty sure they haven't changed the tutorial. I was a little surprised they don't have heavier scripting to keep it on the rails; most games I've seen recently the tutorial is its own mini-mod but this is just a handful of triggered events and not taking into account various possible game states. I was actually holding back and trying to follow the implicit as well as explicit instructions. It's just that they mentioned assault as a possibility so I tried it to see what would happen.

Assaulting an enemy holding is only worth it if you had at least 10 times the troops as the garrison, assuming patches haven't changed it.

Most folks recommend you start by playing in 1066 Ireland instead of doing the tutorial.

But making the assault and learning what not to do might have been the most informative part. :P

I'm actually setting up to play 769 Tibet right now: it's a big empire with plenty of resources where I should be able to do a tall-ish style. But it also is internally fractious between Buddhist and Bön, I'm sure to learn all sorts of things about vassal management. One way or another.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
    • a Moal
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14368 on: January 08, 2019, 09:58:04 am »

Started a random world. Playing as one of the Jews of this world - the Shinadi, who have a cluster of independent city-states in Anatolia. We're totally surrounded by the world's largest religion, the Harivarmanians, who are basically Catholics with ship raiding, river movement, and divine marriage. We're right up next to the Holy Sistani Empire, a massive Harivarmanian empire in Persia dominated by pseudo-Norsemen. At first I thought I'd try to unite the Shinadi city-states, but actually I've been having more fun with alliances, so I might just keep everyone independent for now.

Meanwhile, the whole of Africa is controlled by the Cairene Empire, with the emperor based in the Sahara Desert.
    Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14369 on: January 08, 2019, 10:38:33 pm »

I'm pretty sure they haven't changed the tutorial

Tutorial used to take place in Scotland.  Mind you they probably changed it years ago.  :P
    Pages: 1 ... 956 957 [958] 959 960 ... 1002