Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 965 966 [967] 968 969 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 1990304 times)

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #14490 on: February 01, 2019, 10:01:54 pm »

As a reformed norse at 100 power I thought I had squashed the Suomenusko, Romuva and Slavic heresies when their province counts dwindled. But, amazingly enough the slavs had infiltrated my empire. One day 30% of the provinces suddenly transformed along with their rulers. No revolt or faction though, and while they refused to convert I managed to usurp them without violence. I guess I should have known since there were holy book popups before that. That's pretty nice mechanics.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14491 on: February 01, 2019, 11:47:06 pm »

My view tends to be that it's fan made stuff, so probably won't be all that well balanced or whatever.

I don't think fan made things have a monopoly on being not all that well balanced or whatever. I mean, CK2 isn't bad or anything, but there's definitely some things mods can make less broken (hello nomads.)

That said, the only mods I bother with these days are ones that change the setting.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14492 on: February 02, 2019, 09:41:33 am »

I've only ever played vanilla. Not really a fan of mods.
I can't understand this mindset. Not a fan of any mods? There's never something in the game where you think "it would be cool if this was different"? You never think "It would be cool to play a game in this other setting?" How does that work?

My view tends to be that it's fan made stuff, so probably won't be all that well balanced or whatever.

I've dropped over 1k hours in vanilla and enjoyed pretty much all of it.
Ah, I see. In many cases that supposition is correct, especially for the kinds of mods that drift towards the top of the steam shop. Many larger mods also try to do things that the game (and particularly its UI) isn't designed for, with adverse effect on the game's intuitiveness. But there are loads of little conventience mods like those that adjust UI for bigger monitors, and some overhauls maintain vanilla-style balance without big deviations, like After the End and (when last I played it, which was a while ago) the Winter King. Even if you don't stick to things like that, you'll be hard pressed to find a mod which disrupts balance more than Monks and Mystics (both societies and artifacts) or Old Gods (which completely screws up the map usually).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 09:47:33 am by Cruxador »

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14493 on: February 02, 2019, 09:45:41 am »

For me it's mostly that, if I think a certain mechanic could be improved, I usually form a very specific idea of how it could be improved, which I don't expect modders to implement. And usually the original gameplay is not bad enough to make me stop playing, so I just suffer it.

The same goes for total conversions as well: I've never played Elder Kings because I have a very specific idea of what I would want an Elder Scrolls CK2 mod to be like, and it's not Elder Kings. Not saying it's bad or anything - I'd probably still find it enjoyable - but it wouldn't scratch my idiosyncratic itch.

On the subject of TCs though: has there ever been a "Americas in the Medieval Period" mod - set at the same time (1066 - 1453) but in North/South America? I guess getting historical info would be the big problem, but that's already the case for most of the Old World pagans; and I just think it'd be a neat experience.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14494 on: February 03, 2019, 01:39:40 pm »

I've only ever played vanilla. Not really a fan of mods.
I can't understand this mindset. Not a fan of any mods? There's never something in the game where you think "it would be cool if this was different"? You never think "It would be cool to play a game in this other setting?" How does that work?

I've dropped over 1k hours in vanilla and enjoyed pretty much all of it.
Eh, that's not really fair to apply to all mods. Some mods aren't balanced, but some mods are. I usually get mods that play well with vanilla and are balanced, small ones like more events or mods that add more artifacts; I think one of the biggest mods I have is the one that allows feudal rulers to become republics as long as they're small duchies and have a capital with a port. That's never really disrupted game balance because the AI uses the decision so very rarely that you still often have issues with all the merchant republics in the world dying off.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #14495 on: February 03, 2019, 01:43:03 pm »

Mod balance is only an issue if the base game is balanced to begin with...
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #14496 on: February 03, 2019, 03:26:44 pm »

I don't know what are these "balanced mods" of which you guys speak?  I thought modding was for using spreadsheeds to multiply every value in the game by 2?  And then adding 600 junk entries that are small visual variations of existing content with vastly altered stats?  And then advertising your "total conversion mod" without actually saying whats in it?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14497 on: February 03, 2019, 03:48:15 pm »

I don't know what are these "balanced mods" of which you guys speak?  I thought modding was for using spreadsheeds to multiply every value in the game by 2?  And then adding 600 junk entries that are small visual variations of existing content with vastly altered stats?  And then advertising your "total conversion mod" without actually saying whats in it?
I'm reminded of the "I Suck At Math" mod for DOTA 2, which replaces every number in the game with a semi-random value.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14498 on: February 03, 2019, 04:04:19 pm »

My personal view regarding mods is that the base game version of CKII already has consumed many hours of my life, so if I spend more time tweaking it with mods, I'll only ever play CKII. But I have a life and other games to play I like too, so outside of total conversions, I'm not really interested in messing around with CKII's mods.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14499 on: February 03, 2019, 06:12:54 pm »

I like mods, but they have to A) be small and simple, i.e. take other peoples artifacts
Or B) be massive like the game of thrones mod.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14500 on: February 03, 2019, 06:18:23 pm »

I like mods, but they have to A) be small and simple, i.e. take other peoples artifacts
Or C) D-cups.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14501 on: February 03, 2019, 06:57:14 pm »

Or C) D-cups.
There's definitely a mod for that.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14502 on: February 03, 2019, 07:19:30 pm »

I'm reminded of the "I Suck At Math" mod for DOTA 2, which replaces every number in the game with a semi-random value.
That sounds equal parts horrifying and hilarious, like the Joker as written by Lovecraft.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14503 on: February 03, 2019, 07:32:12 pm »

In the gameplay video I watched, the fellow hosting played an ogre magi whose fireblast ended up getting its stun duration increased just a little bit... From 2 seconds, to 15.3

Also, stout shield ended up with a 130% chance to block 90 damage on melee dudes, while only costing 45 gold. He was thinking of buying aether lens, but then realized that the arcane booster (while it did boost mana by 1022, which was useful to cast his bloodlust that at level 2 had a mana cost of 357) happened to feature a new pricetag of 7578 gold.

So... it's about as balanced as native, honestly.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14504 on: February 04, 2019, 08:23:58 pm »

Recently (IRL past hour maybe, started to really escalate a half hour ago maybe, ingame time the last few years) I've been getting a LOT of 'character x usurped temple y from character z' from various places in my empire, sometimes coming from the same place multiple times. Before, it only rarely happened. I've started putting the 'special attention' mark on them as they come up in an attempt to find out what's going on. So, anybody know what the heck is going on here? editwhiletyping: One of the 'special attention' characters got hit, but it yielded no messages.

The best I can tell is that they are replacing a priest who converted to a heresy, but some of these places have had the heresey there for decades, if not a century or two. It looks like maybe some rulers are doing it, but this is the first time I've gotten it spammy like this.

edit: I put the 'special attention' mark on the liege of one of those and yeah, it's the liege spamming it...

Also, you know what's really dumb? In order to become sashoyant, I have to control all listed territories, but in order to do so, I have to expel my religions holy order..... It really seems like the holy order should be exempt from those calculations or at least have an option to vassalize them as there is for the Christian ones.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 10:39:07 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 965 966 [967] 968 969 ... 1002