Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 979 980 [981] 982 983 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 1990225 times)

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #14700 on: October 19, 2019, 11:59:16 am »

Secret fathers is actually a thing already -- the GoTmod already uses this for spontaneous variations on you-know-what-happened-like events.

...At least I am under the impression that it does. I have never experienced it myself.

I'm pretty sure it does too, but I think the main thing is that secrets will come out dynamically instead of through events. It'd also be cool if pretenders that claim to be characters that might've died could happen dynamically in CK3, but that's kind of a longshot hope.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 12:01:27 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14701 on: October 19, 2019, 12:22:04 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean by dynamically instead of through events. 99% of everything (narrative) that happens in Paradox's games happens through events. That's extremely unlikely to change.

Like for example, if Lady Argent has a secret bastard with Lord Bronze, ck2 already tracks that. In GoTmod I believe you can then plot to investigate somebody's heritage and reveal it, a la what Ned (or I guess Jon Arryn) does in the bocks. It's not limited to just the story events that deals with the exact happenings of the books.

But I'm getting too focused on what is already done -- yes, I too am very excited for secrets and the possibilities that it might bring. It's been one of my main hopes for ck2 since a long time, I'm very glad that they're doing something like this for ck3.
Love, scriver~

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14702 on: October 19, 2019, 12:30:14 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean by dynamically instead of through events. 99% of everything (narrative) that happens in Paradox's games happens through events. That's extremely unlikely to change.

Like for example, if Lady Argent has a secret bastard with Lord Bronze, ck2 already tracks that. In GoTmod I believe you can then plot to investigate somebody's heritage and reveal it, a la what Ned (or I guess Jon Arryn) does in the bocks. It's not limited to just the story events that deals with the exact happenings of the books.

But I'm getting too focused on what is already done -- yes, I too am very excited for secrets and the possibilities that it might bring. It's been one of my main hopes for ck2 since a long time, I'm very glad that they're doing something like this for ck3.

Yeah I think I forgot about the find evidence plot. When I say dynamic instead of events, I mean events that aren't scripted by preset character. I think the main thing I was thinking of was Jon's true identity and how that could only be revealed by one or two people since "secrets" weren't actually tracked so they couldn't be spread.

Yeah, I'm really excited for secrets as well. Work on the intrigue system is probably one of the best ways to improve from CK2.

Edit: speaking of things that could be improved, I really hope they implement something like the megawars from CK2 AGOT. It's something I really miss when I play vanilla or other mods (looking at you Elder Kings.)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 12:32:54 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #14703 on: October 19, 2019, 01:57:34 pm »

Let’s be real, Deus Vult will be immediately modded back into the game
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14704 on: October 20, 2019, 02:09:16 pm »

Pity the OP of this thread has been gone for two years. It would be nice to edit the title to read "Now Free to Play" or something along those lines.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14705 on: October 20, 2019, 02:24:14 pm »

Pity the OP of this thread has been gone for two years. It would be nice to edit the title to read "Now Free to Play" or something along those lines.
I've thought about making a new thread on occasion.

Might as well ask: do the folks that frequent this thread want a more general "Crusader Kings" thread for both this, CK3 and, theoretically, CK1?

Unrelated, but I ended up quitting the previous modding project I was in for various reasons (none related to the team itself, thankfuly; they are good folks)... so I went and joined another project and we are pretty damn close to a release.
Spoiler: Click me! (click to show/hide)
Can you guess what it is about?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14706 on: October 20, 2019, 02:38:46 pm »

Thay is kindof a giveaway.

And now I want an Eberron CKII mod.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14707 on: October 20, 2019, 02:38:59 pm »

Might as well ask: do the folks that frequent this thread want a more general "Crusader Kings" thread for both this, CK3 and, theoretically, CK1?

Unrelated, but I ended up quitting the previous modding project I was in for various reasons (none related to the team itself, thankfuly; they are good folks)... so I went and joined another project and we are pretty damn close to a release.

Oh shit you joined that Faerun mod team?
Wasteland 1 & 2

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14708 on: October 20, 2019, 03:14:51 pm »

Yeah. The map is almost completely populated for our default 1360 start date. Tabot is the only place left and I'm working on it right now.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14709 on: October 20, 2019, 04:22:25 pm »

I'll play it when it releases ;)

We could do a a CK1-3 thread.

Also, because this has seriously been nagging my mind since i wrote it: PARAPHRASED. The word was paraphrased.
Love, scriver~

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14710 on: October 20, 2019, 05:29:15 pm »

How does making a custom map happen, anyway? I'd be kind of interested in making Karne, but I dunno how much effort I can spare for it right now.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14711 on: October 20, 2019, 05:43:38 pm »

How does making a custom map happen, anyway? I'd be kind of interested in making Karne, but I dunno how much effort I can spare for it right now.
You got a few options. There's this tool but it has some limitations and you'll need to do some tweaking on top of it, or you can do it manually... which is boring as fuck.

Maps are composed of a province image file, which is paired with a definition.csv file, in which all provinces are dfined; a rivers image where, you guess it, rivers are set up; a terrain image for the textures of the terrain (but not the actual colours!); a topology image that is the hardest part because it is greyscale and is really easy to mess up; a trees image that, well, sets up trees; and a world normal height image that is a "normal map" (I've used this in the past). There's also a terrain folder with the colourmaps, where the actual colours of the map are defined.

More info here.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #14712 on: October 20, 2019, 08:13:36 pm »

Yeah. The map is almost completely populated for our default 1360 start date. Tabot is the only place left and I'm working on it right now.

3rd edition is definitely my favorite time period, but how do you plan on dealing with the Spellplague? It's pretty soon after your game start and would logically have a very big impact when it hits. Not to mention how unpopular it was with fans...is it going to be some sort of black plague event? An optional toggle like Sunset Invasion?

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14713 on: October 20, 2019, 09:36:49 pm »

Well... The tool looks quite interesting, but I definitely don't have the time to do it manually, or really to futz about with the tool.
Maybe if I find myself with lots of free time. But that time would probably be better spent adding events to "vanilla" CKII.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14714 on: October 21, 2019, 02:16:01 am »

3rd edition is definitely my favorite time period, but how do you plan on dealing with the Spellplague? It's pretty soon after your game start and would logically have a very big impact when it hits. Not to mention how unpopular it was with fans...is it going to be some sort of black plague event? An optional toggle like Sunset Invasion?

I would they just... rather not. At all.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 979 980 [981] 982 983 ... 1002