Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quality articles?  (Read 2374 times)

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quality articles?
« on: August 19, 2010, 05:13:22 pm »

I've recently found the article on article quality and I've found a few weird things.
For example, all the so-called "Masterwork" articles are not.
"On the origins of dwarfs" is just a collection of in-jokes and
1. does not cover an important must-read topic
2. is not comprehensive on the subject (What's the point of the article?)
3. contains tons of unverified information
4. is not aesthetically pleasing
Now, I have nothing against that article. In the contrary, it's hilarious and you should definitely read it, but it's not a "masterwork" article.

JohnnyMadhouse's userpage doesn't contain any outbound links, is not about the game at all and is extremely short. It's not, by any stretch of the imagination, a masterwork article. Yes, I know that the "Quality" bar is for easier access to the quality lists, but that's what this article is for.

Rhenaya's userpage is amusing to read, but it doesn't really cover any topic of the game, has only one editor and is not properly categorized.

The "Exceptional Quality" articles aren't really any better. Sure, the "Acronyms" page is helpful, but it only contains a very small amount of information. "Bentgirder" is truly a Masterful page, in my opinion because it's SO FREAKING HELPFUL for beginners. Having the page itself ("Exceptional Quality" and "Exceptional Article") on the list is ridiculous. "Game Development" is kind of interesting, but not really important for the majority of the players; it also contains only very few links to the rest of the wiki. "IRC" is no; just No. It's not even about the game! "Tholtig" is truly D for Dwarf, but not exceptional because it's doesn't really give any information at all except that in one game there was this awesome dwarf who did stuff. Now, "Urist" is a completely useless article. I'm not saying it should be deleted, but it's definitely not exceptional. And Johnny again.

I really don't want to go through all the "fine" articles, but did anyone even read the definitions when they were categorizing these articles?

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Quality articles?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 11:19:40 pm »

did anyone even read the definitions when they were categorizing these articles?
Honestly? Probably not.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quality articles?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 05:45:06 pm »

The quality system sucks. People bump things around as they like. You can bump pages as you see fit, but expect people to bump them back.

That's the point of the wiki. You can adjust it. And if people don't agree with your additions, they'll modify your work.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!