Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zombie story.  (Read 1714 times)

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Zombie story.
« on: August 19, 2010, 08:25:29 pm »

Note : Well I have taken akin to writing and decided to give it a shot. I'm writing a full story, but here is some intro parts, short stories, to set it up among other things. Please constructive feed back. Even if its a "bad grammar ):" or just a "good work!", point out what you like/dislike. Also include the age you think I am by my writing, I'm curious. Thanks.

Caution - Mature audience only, violence and profanity. haha.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 10:02:25 pm by Immortal »

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie story.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 02:24:42 pm »

You're a funny guy - "Profile of immortal." By the way, about age. My guess would be around 350 to 400.

Now, seriously. I took some time to consider your story, or the intro. At first I wanted to send you here. Then I wanted to just say "Bad grammar". Finally I came to this:

Why do you think it's interesting to read? It, of course, may be just an exercise, and then the main criticism is "bad grammar". But if it's something important to you, why would you think it would be interesting? I find it profanely cliché. Even if no one has eaten anyone or their eyes ooze blood, it's still a regular zombie story that's been beaten to death, without anything redeeming. But I understand that it's an introduction, and the complete story must have some uniqueness. If that's the case, would you consider reintroducing it in a different way?

P.S. Not bad grammar, but some unlucky sentence structure and typos.

Quarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 09:10:31 am »

My initial age guesstimate: 16. Then I dug through your profile, saw that you signed up in '07 (which would mean you found DF at age 13) and read through your oldest posts. Seemed more like a 14 year old, really. So I guess you're either 16 or 17.

I'll fix your grammar up.

It's actually pretty good, though as Supermikhail said, rather cliche. With an editor, you could turn it into something great -- I said I was only going to fix your grammar, but I reworded a few sentences that bugged me. There are actually a few more things I found rather disconcerting (the overuse of 'man' by your characters, in particular) but they're not egregious. I avoided putting some commas where I probably should've, mostly because I have a terrible problem with overusing them and in many cases it's rather borderline anyway.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 08:52:20 pm »

Superm - Well thanks, I was going to put it in that in the writers guild thread, but they were doing some writing exercise and didn't want to derail it. Im introducing it in four short stories. The last of them will continue on as the actually story. The character in this story will later come in as the group mechanic/handman character. Most of the characters are going to die off in the short stories. The stories are to make it
feel intense and full of action, it will actually be based around how the main character keeps his group together, how they react to problems and the loss of everyone and what they think of and do to deal with it.

Oh and the twist is the small group will take refuge on an abandoned ship.

Quarr - Thanks a ton on the corrections, I see what you mean. Oh and Ill take care of the use of "man" by the character. I just wanted him to be kind of an annoying character and bad with people as his negative attributes, since he will be a very helpful mechanic and stuff. Also so you like the actual writing other then the cliche part right?

P.s ignore grammar and stuff in this post, writing from my iPod touch, it's such a pain to correct stuff.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 02:50:58 am »

Immortal, you're even funnier than I thought at first. Although I am serious. And also blunt.

How is

it will actually be based around how the main character keeps his group together, how they react to problems and the loss of everyone and what they think of and do to deal with it.

new? I think every George Romero's fim has it at least as a subplot. Also, how is

a twist? How is an abandoned ship fundamentally different from any other abandoned vehicle, store, underground facility. For me they are pretty much the same, because they are abandoned... On the other hand, if you really mean a ghost ship...

To be outrageously blunt - I didn't get caught in the action in this piece, stuff happened completely outside me. You might want to reconsider your definition of action. That is it should have suspense and the climax. And here we have red-eyed zombies, and the protagonist just goes and beats a guy (or a zombified guy) into pulp. Have zombies chase them in the end, at least.

I hope you take my criticism as constructive.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 09:24:12 am »

Well here in the actually first of the intro stories, the one you have already read was the second.

How is
it will actually be based around how the main character keeps his group together, how they react to problems and the loss of everyone and what they think of and do to deal with it.
new? I think every George Romero's fim has it at least as a subplot.
I know but I mean it will take on a more psychological view rather then just the normal slash and blood zombie story. It's only zombies because they are scary. It was that or a entirely empty world where a virus sweeps through. The main character will also carry my thoughts on society and government among other things in the book.

Also, how is
a twist? How is an abandoned ship fundamentally different from any other abandoned vehicle, store, underground facility. For me they are pretty much the same, because they are abandoned... On the other hand, if you really mean a ghost ship...
No I hate supernatural ghost things, gotta be somewhat factual. Its just where they are held up. Every end of the world story has some kinda of place they stay, unless they are on the run.. So yea I said that wrong, its not a twist at all its just the place they will stay.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 10:28:50 am »

Jesus Christ. Exposition! Also
Instinctively his body threw a fist forward into the boys face.
He's got instincts of a killer. At least say "a hand". Because an open palm to keep the boy away would be normal, but a fist... Well, maybe it's this kind of school.
Also, exposition, and what follows it, that is, detail. Why would he get out of the school like that? You at least need to describe the chaos that made him not try to contact other teachers, not try to phone police or something, not try to get to the doctor or whoever they have in that school.

Your plot still seems highly unoriginal, but if it's political and you drive your point hard enough, it might work.

If your story is about characters and their interactions, it seems a really bad choice of words to describe the role of one of the characters as "the mechanic". It sounds more like a role for a videogame than a story. His personality should have precedence over his profession.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 08:08:22 pm »

Wow. Thank you for catching that, to be honest I didn't notice it, I thought I had written out the reason for him running from the school. Yea big mistake. I will also change his killer instinct haha never thought of it that way.

I know its unoriginal, its an intro to a zombie book. The other way I was going to introduce it was just straight from the main characters point of view, but I felt like adding some background to the characters.

It will be partly about the interactions, partly about the politics and a bit about the world around them and how it decays. The 'mechanic' is kind of crucial. His personality will be annoying and the group will want to kick him out but they don't, simply because they need his skills.