Poll

PULL THE LEVER? [Y/N]

Y
- 281 (87.8%)
N
- 39 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 319

Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 189

Author Topic: FailCannon: No Rest for the Wicked (or anyone else) (Succession: Battlefailed 2)  (Read 900338 times)

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
Re: FailCannon: Super Happy Fun Beach (Succession: Battlefailed II)
« Reply #1380 on: July 24, 2011, 04:24:26 pm »

seems you need a god among dwrafs to save you. a hero like those in time before time. like those of syrupleaf in the first baptism of the world -if your using the boatmurderd timeline etc-

whos the best warrior and does he seem fit to take on the god of death? :)

just idle speculation. This has been a great read. :P  wait the ending with anticipation. if it is indeed the end.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: July 24, 2011, 04:47:23 pm »

Ahem! If you mind, now...

Yeah, I'm doing this.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: July 25, 2011, 12:52:20 am »

"And so Ura is banished from the Windy World."

"For the time.  Thoth did exactly what he was supposed to."

"A rather cold outlook for you."

"It's not yet time for joy, nor sorrow.  Yet we will see him again.  I do not intend to abandon him to oblivion.  If the Seal is saved, things will eventually return as they were."

"And when the Seal is destroyed?"

"Then we will go to war if we must to save him."

"The Conflict of Atrocities."

"I'm afraid it is inevitable."

"We shall all lose something.  No one can win such a war, Kigok."

"I know you are not that naive, Otik.  Someone would win that war, and it has to be us."

Deprived of the fell powers holding it aloft, the demonic symbol cracked and crumbled to the ground.

At the goblin bone trading bridge overlooking the eastern walls, Tupu had gathered twenty dwarves to make a stand against the invasion force.  "Lads," he said.  "I have no idea what just happened, but there's bones to collect.  Now get out there and make these goblins never live to regret this day!"

The bridge fully extended, and the dwarves and goblins charged forward to match blades.

When the goblins were soundly defeated, Failcannon still stood, a proud and defiant speck against the long, lonely coastline of the Bluenuess of Malodors.

That evening, then the weary and wounded dwarves settled to their ale and roasts, the in-fighting finally calming, Andreus and Glacial walked cautiously across the damp sand in search of the former Overseer's body.  Failcannon hardly needed any more ghosts at the moment.  In the southwest where the fortress met the shoreline, the great spider loomed, a shadowy sentinel against the sea's horizon.

"What happened today, Andreus?"

"To speculate, I'd say the Universe became a bit more fair than it once was."

"Look," Glacial said in awe as they walked with the body back toward the gate.

"I have eyes," Andreus said.

"There's so many of them!  I never noticed how many until they were gone."

"A great many things are like that."

"Does this mean it's over?"

"As far as I know the Seal is still damaged.  Queen Led may still be out there.  The Shadow is yet to be dealt with.  I expect Death has only been waylaid.  But this is a good sign, I think."

As the once prosperous city of Graspedseduce sat in smoking ruin, the guards were providing what little food and water could be managed from within the shattered temple.  By the door, the old man huddled over anxiously, wondering when the demons would come for them.  He could stall perhaps one demon, but any more would overwhelm him.  None of this had been in the visions.  This was all very disheartening.

The temple doors burst suddenly open and the old man sprang to his feet like a youth but a quarter his age.  But instead of a demon stood a hunched, impossibly thin figure wrapped in a robe of darkest midnight.  The old man drew back in horror.

"You're alive!"

"Alive?  Not quite, you insolent frog.  Far more than that."

"But I saw you die!"

"Silence!  Do you not know who I am?

And I will never die."            

A Letter to the Next Overseer:

If you're reading this, then I've probably been killed by the rioters since, were I alive, we could have this discussion in person.

The place is more organized than two years ago, there are more goods are in bins, but the place is still a mess.  The dwarves are drafted with assigned clothing and weaponry, and most of the dwarves still alive are happy enough.  There are about seven dwarves in the hospital but Seraphin has no tasks assigned but healthcare and I expect everyone should recover.  I don't think there's any poison left on the floor, either, there was a staircase covered in poison blood from a beast killed years ago but that should be gone now.

Oh, almost forgot, the primary metal and armor stockpiles are completely flooded by the Ocean of Slime.

I added some notes explaining stuff I added or learned about.  If there's an unlabelled lever I have no idea what it does.

Have fun, you brave soul.

Regarding Graspedseduce:  Those engravings were put there by world gen.  That was an actual embark to the actual Graspedseduce.  The process was basically this:

1.  Downloaded Battlefailed save from the end of turn 2, loaded in DF 31.06 and abandoned

2.  Located Graspedseduce and embarked there, saved and reloaded in 31.25

3.  Took screenshots and dug down until HFS

I uploaded a save of Graspedseduce here if you'd like to take a look.  By using dfreveal you can check out the underground engravings or just dig to them the old-fashioned way.  The one thing I couldn't get around was Queen Led dying of old age as soon as embarking there.  It happens every time, even with immortal humans.

Spoiler: Graspedseduce (click to show/hide)

Anyway, the game itself came up with that stuff, I just tried to present it in the narrative.  The Spider/Ampersand monument took two years to build, made mostly of bone blocks.  I knocked down the big demonic symbol since it felt like the right thing to do, but the spider's still there.

Did you perhaps use rumrusher/that other guy that makes more sense's method for fortress retirement to retire failcannon while you did the whole demons in the city/rebellion thing? So that those changes are real and observable within the save? And was Thoth's fight all done in the arena? If this is merely some form of save/artistic sorcery then I hope I come back as an angry ghost and possess Queen Led whenever she arrives.

Nah, hacks like that probably shouldn't be used in a succession game without group approval first.  It was all on a separate save file, and Thoth/Ura fighting was all Arena mode, so yup, sorcery.  Led would be dead in Legends even if resurrected.  If she came to Failcannon, we might keep her from being D.O.A. by raising the max age for humans, but I've never tried that and my last untested suggestion ended up with dwarves refusing to eat, so that's a maybe.  Oh, your ghosts haven't come back yet, just one of the forgotten masons I forgot to make a slab for.

seems you need a god among dwrafs to save you. a hero like those in time before time. like those of syrupleaf in the first baptism of the world -if your using the boatmurderd timeline etc-

whos the best warrior and does he seem fit to take on the god of death? :)

just idle speculation. This has been a great read. :P  wait the ending with anticipation. if it is indeed the end.

Good questions.  It's all one big multiverse to me.  If there's a warrior here to fight Death it would probably be Tupu, since he's already cheated it a few times and uses skeletal horse collar bones as toothpicks.  As for it ending, I'd like the fortress to go on as long as it naturally can without getting boring or cheap.  We'll have to figure something out if there is to be a Battlefailed 3 though, because it seems embarking anywhere in Aluonra besides the two forts causes a game crash now.

The tantrum spiral is over, we have enough food to not have to worry about producing any for a long time, and we still have adamantine to spare.  If you have Urist make even one masterwork weapon a season we should get a steady trickle of migrants.  I completely failed to raise FPS and actually lowered it a few points, it's about 15 for me now, and for that I apologize, hopefully someone more efficient than I can fix it up.  Getting rid of the ghostly mason might help.

Here's the Failcannon save.  My thanks to everybody who enjoyed the turn!  It's been fun.  There's no World like the Windy.

If you pull the the Hematite Lever of Remorse, there may be a couple minutes of lag as the game processes what is happening.  Don't fret if the game looks like it stopped responding, just give it some time.

Edit:  Nearly forgot to mention.  The save is at Granite 6, all that's been done in that time was the recovering of two wounded and the deactivation of the pump for FPS.  I'll upload the autosave at Granite 1 if this is objectionable.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 01:49:27 am by SethCreiyd »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: July 25, 2011, 01:13:22 am »

This has become truly insane and utterly epic.

Seraphin has no tasks assigned but healthcare and I expect everyone should recover

Like hell! I'm staying nice and crippled in bed, where it's safe!  Seraphin! More booze and food!

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: July 25, 2011, 01:20:58 am »

I spent three or four hours yesterday reading this entire thread.  Shoot, this is epic.  I'd be much obliged if one of the migrants who, in theory, will come could be dorfed after me as Savi!
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #1385 on: July 25, 2011, 03:01:47 am »

Who died during your second turn? Am I dead? Did +goblin bone block spider+ fall on me? Was I in fortress guard or regular squad?
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: July 25, 2011, 03:02:29 am »

Holy shit, engraving in Hell. O_O
"I have eyes," Andreus said.

"There's so many of them!  I never noticed how many until they were gone."
I lol'd.

So, what is the structure near the 'FUCK' sign? And how did you encounter Led in adventure mode?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: July 25, 2011, 05:03:41 am »

Seraphin has no tasks assigned but healthcare and I expect everyone should recover

Like hell! I'm staying nice and crippled in bed, where it's safe!  Seraphin! More booze and food!
You want to have the Homicidal Poker take care of you? *Laughs maniacally* *Pokes*
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: July 25, 2011, 05:40:13 am »

You want to have the Homicidal Poker take care of you? *Laughs maniacally* *Pokes*

I still have a working hand and a crossbow.  I think.  If he tries poking me, i can poke back at quite a distance. 

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: July 25, 2011, 02:20:10 pm »

PM'd ignatzami, updated OP and stuff.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: July 25, 2011, 02:32:06 pm »

I'm busy tonight, but I'll grab the save and try to run it tomorrow.
DF without DT isn't DF, it's a keyboard-based exercise in masochism.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: July 25, 2011, 03:21:46 pm »

Who died during your second turn? Am I dead? Did +goblin bone block spider+ fall on me? Was I in fortress guard or regular squad?

Spoiler: Survivors (click to show/hide)

The wall fell on arcangelsd, who's sitting in a pile of goblin gone meal outside, I suppose he wanted to go back to bed.  Aik is the only Fortress Guard, Kaamanen's horribly injured but ecstatic in the hospital with three infections and a broken skull, and I didn't notice how that happened, but I'm guessing it was from Xellas shooting him.

So, what is the structure near the 'FUCK' sign? And how did you encounter Led in adventure mode?

I don't really know, some sort of spire someone built way back before my first turn I just added to a little.  For Led, I raised her as a skeleton with Runesmith and used dfmode to switch to adventurer.

I'm busy tonight, but I'll grab the save and try to run it tomorrow.

I must warn you that I neglected to cancel Takua's standing order to murder the dwarven diplomat.  If she succeeds there will be a loyalty cascade and likely a massive shootout in the hall at F5.

Also, job cancellations are turned off and all death items are forbidden by default except for dwarven corpses.

Wasn't Joshua IX next on the list before?  Did I PM the wrong person?

edit:  added list of survivors
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 03:27:31 pm by SethCreiyd »

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: July 25, 2011, 04:21:16 pm »

I don't want to annoy you Urist, but could you please change me in the dorfing list to a military dwarf? Thanks in advance!
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: July 25, 2011, 04:34:41 pm »

Wasn't Joshua IX next on the list before?  Did I PM the wrong person?

He got overlooked - he was originally between malkomk and Ahrimahn.

I don't want to annoy you Urist, but could you please change me in the dorfing list to a military dwarf? Thanks in advance!

Done (in a few seconds).
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Takuanuva

• Bay Watcher
  • The Failkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: July 25, 2011, 07:19:58 pm »

I must warn you that I neglected to cancel Takua's standing order to murder the dwarven diplomat.  If she succeeds there will be a loyalty cascade and likely a massive shootout in the hall at F5.
Wait... It's 2 am here and my brain isn't running on full speed, so I might have missunderstood that, so I want to make sure: my dwarf is most likely to make the entire fortress fall?
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 189