Poll

PULL THE LEVER? [Y/N]

Y
- 281 (87.8%)
N
- 39 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 319

Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 189

Author Topic: FailCannon: No Rest for the Wicked (or anyone else) (Succession: Battlefailed 2)  (Read 896090 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: FailCannon: Super Happy Fun Beach (Succession: Battlefailed II)
« Reply #1440 on: August 04, 2011, 02:43:01 pm »

Robocorn made a cheese industry, but I think it died.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: August 04, 2011, 04:59:46 pm »

Yeah, I thought as much. That's actually where I got the idea for roleplaying a cheesemaker, although I won't do a rehash of Robocorn. I was actually quite surprised when my name suddenly appeared in one of the reports (I hadn't been here in about a month), so I grabbed the latest save to check out my character (which is where I got the missing hand from). I'll try to post updates to the journal often, but I can't comment much on what's happening if I don't know what's going on with the character. I've got some ideas for the journal that take place outside Failcannon, but that'll probably get boring after a while.

Also, the journals might make a good segue into overseership, should I ever figure out how to maintain a basic fortress without running it into the ground, and I decide to take the plunge. But she (and/or Failcannon itself) might be dead by then. I don't know.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: August 04, 2011, 05:49:20 pm »

PMing CatalystParadox.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: August 04, 2011, 05:57:42 pm »

Also, the journals might make a good segue into overseership, should I ever figure out how to maintain a basic fortress without running it into the ground, and I decide to take the plunge. But she (and/or Failcannon itself) might be dead by then. I don't know.

Neither of those has stopped anyone before. Just look at Andreus.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: August 04, 2011, 06:20:28 pm »

Eeeeeexcellent.

Will download the save and post an update sometime tonight :) 
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: August 04, 2011, 07:05:47 pm »

Neither of those has stopped anyone before. Just look at Andreus.

True, true, but I fear that I may also prove to be a very boring overseer - I've never done quite a few things that are necessary for a fortress in a stage as advanced as this one, so I probably wouldn't be able to do much beyond digging out new rooms and watching dorfs beat each other over the head. I've never actually stuck with a fortress long enough for it to progress beyond "frontier colony" - I've never even made a mechanism, the way I irrigate farms is I dig them next to a murky pool, floor over the pool and breach. I wouldn't know where to begin managing a fort the size of Failcannon.

Conversely, I may also accidentally wind up destroying the fortress because of this, not by way of an epic siege or FB battle or catastrophic flooding, but simply by way of sheer incompetence (which, given the nature of this place, would be 99% sure to happen). I'd accidentally wash away the food stockpiles causing mass starvation, or unwittingly release the FB goo all over the fortress, or somehow release a whole army of captured goblins in the dining room. It wouldn't be a very enjoyable type of Fun. I'll just lay low, write journals and practice on my own before taking the reins.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: August 04, 2011, 07:32:24 pm »

Conversely, I may also accidentally wind up destroying the fortress because of this, not by way of an epic siege or FB battle or catastrophic flooding, but simply by way of sheer incompetence (which, given the nature of this place, would be 99% sure to happen). I'd accidentally wash away the food stockpiles causing mass starvation, or unwittingly release the FB goo all over the fortress, or somehow release a whole army of captured goblins in the dining room.

You're hired.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: August 04, 2011, 07:35:52 pm »

Conversely, I may also accidentally wind up destroying the fortress because of this, not by way of an epic siege or FB battle or catastrophic flooding, but simply by way of sheer incompetence (which, given the nature of this place, would be 99% sure to happen). I'd accidentally wash away the food stockpiles causing mass starvation, or unwittingly release the FB goo all over the fortress, or somehow release a whole army of captured goblins in the dining room.

Dear Lur, if I don't do this first!  I've never seen a fortress this complex.  Time to abandon all hope of understanding its inner workings, and to blunder forth haphazardly!

I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: August 04, 2011, 07:38:13 pm »

Spoken like a true successor.

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: August 04, 2011, 07:44:07 pm »

You're hired.

Very well, if it survives long enough I'll give it a shot, and hope I don't kill it before the end of Granite. :D

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: August 04, 2011, 10:35:51 pm »

Dear Lur, if I don't do this first!  I've never seen a fortress this complex.  Time to abandon all hope of understanding its inner workings, and to blunder forth haphazardly!

After about the 7th successor, that's pretty much the only option on a fort as epic as Failcannon. If all hell breaks loose, blame Andreus. The sidestories have already established that it's his fault for hell breaking loose anyways.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: August 04, 2011, 11:26:33 pm »

I just added the most recent map I found to the map archive.

You can find it at http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-10633-failcannon-failcannon.

As I look at the fort... I notice it is indeed weirdly complex. I mean, I have had forts that were big, but they weren't complex. This is a WHOLE new level of complexity, perhaps perplexity should be used to describes this fort...um... BTW, why is there a giant hole in the left side of the fractile tomb? Does anyone remember? Whatever happened it seems to have killed "a" Twobeard...

There seems to only be a handful of z-levels that don't have something built in them. Even deep underground, the more I go down the more stuff I find. There are massive ramps that charge downward with reckless abandon, rooms in seemingly meaningless places, smoothed hallways that seem to currently serve no purpose, one of the ramps even goes down and touches it magma sea, and I am convinced the would-be pump stack is a flip-book animation of a dude spinning on the uneven bars.

Though apparently the area is attractive to the animal population. Tons and tons of love there. Failcannon even has a few whales swimming nearby.

And hey, the FPS isn't that bad about 6-7 FPS for me. My last fort ran into the ground at 2-3 FPS and that was years of it being stuck in the 4-5 range. I'm surprised my laptop didn't tank with this fort.

We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: August 04, 2011, 11:31:23 pm »

Bizarrchitecture. A well-documented phenomenon.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: August 04, 2011, 11:58:11 pm »

We fled Graspedseduce in our wagons by the hundreds. Women, children, cats, keets and pet alpacas, we came shivering across the Plains of Ooze fleeing the ruin and mad wrath of the demon-queen Led Shakeoars.  Many of our brothers and sisters had risen in rebellion against the excesses of the Mad Queen, and many and more were cut down by her cult and their terrible servants.  I will never forget the sounds or sights of the night wolves tore apart the dwarves of Graspedseduce, their bodies all of salt, reeking of gore and brimstone.

After this, somehow fleeing to the fortress of Failcannon sounded like a good idea.  I will attempt to chronicle herein the folly that ensued.

----

Journal of 'Catalyst' - Elven Studies Major

We recognized Failcannon by its famous sculptural masterpeice - truly, nothing in the history of our art has better expressed the Dwarven condition.

Stranger monuments awaited us within the gates.  It would appear that the only material more abundant than gold at Failcannon is goblins.  The dwarfs who received me proudly showed me the enormous spider statue, and explained its construction.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I thanked them for the nightmares I would be having for the next month, and declined an explanation of the other structure across the yard, built of a distinctly different type of bone.  I decided I might be better not knowing.

I was immediately struck by the sad state of fortress - a population of a mere 28 dwarves in the entire vast structure, itself in terrible disarray.  Worse, though, were the dwarves themselves.  One can scarce find a sane and whole dwarf in the entire place - and IF you do, they are most likely one of the many grim, heavily-armed, hardened killers stalking the halls and ready to fill you with bolts at the first sign of discontent.  When we arrived, we had apparently just missed our chance to witness the glory of Dwarven Justice in action.

It was clearly an epic battle that took place, starting with Greader, Tabul, and the Chronicler Takua.  It all took place next to the huge and surely very-efficient corpse-and-food stockpile.

In the course of things, Takua took quite a beating, yet still stayed on his feet.  Meanwhile others in the fort got involved, including some fellow calling himself Andreus the "Timeless Mage", stepped in to pepper Greader with shots, and one child caught in the crossfire.

Strangely, this encounter did not last long, as all the dwarves went back to their respective business shortly thereafter.  Except in Andreus's case, where that business was apparently taking potshots at anyone who happened to be nearby, regardless of whether they were, say, crippled in a hospital bed.

The fight soon spilled to involve an Alchemist named Grov trading shots with Andreus as well, as That Aussie Dwarf slunk off somewhere after suffering one ineffectual potshot.  A soldier named Elt intervened and Andreus soon found himself in dire straits. 

As Andreus dragged himself around the floor of the statue garden, apparently intent on painting the floor bright red, as his last act on earth, a one-handed cheesemaker, Strategia, decided to join in on the shooting gallery.

I have yet to understand exactly why Andreus was targetted.  I have heard some nonsense about "his sins from past lives" but surely I have misunderstood.

Greader, of course, continued his rampage, this time pursuing the !!Scientist!! Uristein, while EmeraldWind pursued several others, inflicting minor injuries on each.  Greader retired for the night, apparently feeling that a good day's work had been done.  Meanwhile that night, 'Dete' succumbed to an infected wound, presumable unrelated to the scratch that Greader had just given him, and the soldier Elt exacted retribution on EmeraldWind for the chaos that had been carried out largely by Greader.  Both are Stoneworkers by trade, so I can understand the confusion.

Yet, I find it odd that there is so little distinction between "dwarven justice" and "taking potshots at your fellow dwarves for sport".  I guess the list of dwarves in need of punishment in this place is actually longer than the job queue and the current population roster, combined.

Apparently the 5th death was a dwarf named Sinpwn - he died in his bed of thirst, it would seem.  The doctors here are apparently too overburdened to care for all the injured.  I hope I am up to the task of setting this right, but the task of bringing order to this fortress will be much like selling toothpicks to elves.

It did not take long for the slaughter to resume.  Strategia shot down a cat, and soon engaged the militia captain, Mormota, in combat as well.  She seems to be tough, for a one-handed cheesemaker, and it was captain Mormota who hit the ground fainting from pain soon enough. Strategia continued her rampage across the fort, leaving Mormota unconscious, injuring several and shooting down the soldier Vee with a few well placed bolts.

As she continued to plunk arrows into the various citizens of Failcannon, the guard finally decided this was the time to spring into action.  Moments later, Strategia lay dead.  Elsewhere, Ahriman decided to now continue what seems to have been a long-running rampage, and struck down Scaraban so quickly it seemed almost incidental.  DuckThatQuacks then intervened and quickly put an end to Ahriman's rampage with his deadly battleax, then quickly sprinted to the aid of the injured PAINBRINGER against Elt the soldier, who also succumbed to the deadly ax.  DuckThatQuacks descended, moments later, upon the Chronicler Takua, who, since his initial injury in these riots some weeks ago, had laid injured and unconscious in a stockpile.  Things looked grim for Takua, but it was then that Urist Imiknorris awoke, and with his famous spear "Tuftedfatal, the Roughness of Roaring" laid into DuckthatQuacks, soon chasing him through the hallways, soaked in blood.  DuckThatQuacks fled down the stairs, into the bowels of the earth, only to come screaming out again the instant Urist gave up pursuit.  The axe made quick work, and the heroic speardwarf fell.

Eleven dwarfs lay dead already, and the madness had not yet run its course.  Meanwhile, a new forgotten beast made its presence known deep below... but I think even it feared to come above.

I have heard in hushed whispers this ongoing madness was somehow caused by the Demon Queen Led... but I know not how.  Could it be that the rebellion continues in this place, her agents lurking among the brave dwarfs of Failcannon?  Or is something more sinister, more... occult at play...  This all took place before my arrival, so I have little to go on... and it seems there is no one here I dare trust.

I must learn the truth of it, and soon, or we may all be doomed.

---------------

Holy hell, it is madness in here.  I apologize for the long-winded reporting, but it all seemed a little too significant to skim over.  I can't even figure out who is killing who or why, or who is on what side.  I'd look for which dwarves are guards and which are criminals, but they are ALL criminals, and they are ALL military!  I've never seen a tantrum spiral quite like this before - I've lost over a quarter of the already meager population and its only been about two months -- and I haven't even had migrants yet to dorf myself!

Quite seriously, if this keeps getting worse and it looks like I'm not going to be able to keep the fort alive, I'd rather pass it on to someone who might stand a snowball's chance of saving it rather than have it self-destruct pathetically in my incompetent hands

Hope you've enjoyed the update! :>
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 01:07:30 am by CatalystParadox »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: August 05, 2011, 12:24:14 am »

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA THIS IS GLORIOUS.

Can you post the still-alive dwarves, and what crimes they're accused of?

Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 189