Poll

PULL THE LEVER? [Y/N]

Y
- 281 (87.8%)
N
- 39 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 319

Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 189

Author Topic: FailCannon: No Rest for the Wicked (or anyone else) (Succession: Battlefailed 2)  (Read 899928 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: FailCannon: Still Alive (somehow) (Succession: Battlefailed II)
« Reply #2190 on: October 07, 2011, 12:03:15 pm »

Actually, as I'd forgot to mention, I still haven't unpaused the game since those migrants arrived because I haven't figured out how to open the trade entrance. The levers adjacent to it and all the ones in the control room indicate they operate other things. We don't want them dieing on the beaches do we? They haven't even contributed with manual labor yet!

Err, nevermind... on the fifth pass I actually found the controls...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 12:07:51 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: October 07, 2011, 12:04:03 pm »

You could just always pull them all and hope for miracles...?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: October 07, 2011, 12:08:39 pm »

Well, I did ninja-edit after you posted that i figured it out, but I must say that I don't think that's necessarily a grand idea...

We only recieved two migrants. One of them is known as Kirby, the other Deathsword III.

I'll be writing an update later today over the events of the summer (nothing...)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 12:20:52 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: October 07, 2011, 12:23:06 pm »

Got a song, based on Anthrax's Intro to Reallity/Belly of the Beast. Mostly unchanged, since I think it fits a bit too well.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: October 07, 2011, 02:40:36 pm »

In other news... None of you would happen to know how to weasel your way out of an American court trial over a car insurance ticket and avoid spending a shitload of money for no reason, would you?
I make Spellcrafts!

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: October 07, 2011, 02:43:12 pm »

In other news... None of you would happen to know how to weasel your way out of an American court trial over a car insurance ticket and avoid spending a shitload of money for no reason, would you?

But why wouldn't you want to spend shitloads of money for no reason?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: October 07, 2011, 02:47:44 pm »

What.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: October 07, 2011, 03:04:57 pm »

Mostly because I don't have any money. Nothing real important to this thread I suppose. It just delayed me a couple hours trying to not go to court and risk everything I own (or will own, since I own nothing.)

Post Humus journal of Erica Wheelcircles the Legendary Die-r

Once again I haven’t bothered to write over a long period. I was actually rather busy directing work. Today is the 8th Limestone, Early Autumn, 539.

During the last half of Felsite, Catlalyst managed to escape her cell, unlocking the door somehow. The living were frightened when they finally spotted her; Gizogin and Darvi taking shots at her with their crossbows. I actually had them all stationed downstairs to give Catalyst the chance to escape back to her cell, but none of them did exactly as they were told. There was much running amok and catalyst hiding in various rooms on her way out in order to avoid conflict, being shot when she failed, but she eventually met Scaraban on the courtyard catwalks, who had been trying to steal one of her admittedly delicious longland seed roasts for his lunch. She wasn’t happy and they almost got in a fistfight, but she eventually left for her cell, where she was locked inside and has remained since. The living built a wall to contain her from fear. She did leave all of her military gear (and most of her clothing…) outside, where it remains. She’s been whining about wanting her pants back since then but nobody has had time to arrange for this. She’s also intent on conducting a meeting with one of the various liaisons waiting outside her doorway now.

The time since then has been uneventful for the living; everyones been carrying out their hauling duties and that Aussie-dwarf has even practiced a little farming and brewing. For the dead though, a grand scheme was concocted; Since we know that the coffins and slabs are divine symbols that keep most of the dead from even gathering energy to begin manifesting, we must destroy them when the time comes that there are no living in the fortress. Unfortunately this must also be performed by the living, so it’s a bit of a last-dwarf-out-slams-the-door thing.

The plan is to have all the dead, sane or not, entombed in the catacombs near the surface, and the much larger catacombs underground. I’m engineering a system that will cave in all of these on cue (from the control room), thus destroying all the coffins, bodies, and slabs, in turn releasing the slumbering dead to fight our last battle. There will of course be many too far gone or enraged to assist, but since they have coalesced no energy I feel that those of us currently free can deal with them rather easily and save the others. I intend to have it all linked to that artifact hematite lever that’s coincidentally linked to everything else that could possibly go wrong in this place. Should make for an eventful last day on Aluonra for the living, and probably set up a more energetic battlefield for us spirits.

I drew diagrams of this;

I call it the Strategic Ghost Emitter System. As stated, we will need at least one living, sane, and functional dwarf to pull the lever, and probably the next couple years to set it up.

Work has begun by digging out the necessary components and removing and reinterring the dead around the fortress to ensure that all of us are at these locations, ignoring a very few outcasts. Migrants came recently and were put to work; a metalcrafter named Kirby and a woodcutter who bears the nickname Deathsword. I am aware of two other Deathswords, already dead, so for all purposes I’ve designated this one with three bars. Deathsword III has since been ordered to take up mining since Mormota was on break for the whole season and that Aussie-dwarf guy and Zasit, the woman I possessed, are rather slow miners.

Fall has been uneventful. The human caravan that arrived hasn’t been permitted inside (despite no ambushes slaughtering them…) so there was no chance to seize there goods. I expect the dwarven caravaneers, amazingly still operating in this even more dangerous world, might get a chance at it, though. And bring another liaison to waste our time… I should force them to work for us…

The dead mason Etur has been spending vast tracts of time with Catalyst, for whatever reason. They seem to like each other. Makes me wonder if the gods would permit ghosts to marry… Or will there be any gods when this is over? Lur made it seem as though there would be a shortage of deities, and spirits like us may be able to take their place. I should hope I survive the battle ahead...

In the meantime I and the spirit of Ledi have been playing with some living groundhogs we found mysteriously not drowning in a fully submerged tunnel, open to the ocean though they are actually a couple stories underground. I suspect Led or her goddess of death of causing this, but I can’t actually find any clues to show what’s going on. We can’t possess soulless or overly powerful beings, either way. They don’t even seem to mind that they’re inhaling only water. None of the other spirits had any comment on this. Arcangelsd hasn’t come down from his tower and shoos away anyone that wants to talk to him. Makes one wonder what the hell he could be doing.

Does… anyone else hear carnival music? No? I must be going insane…
Wait a minute, that's the sound of Darvi drowning as he tries to shut off the STFO... Welcome to the Palace of the Dead, Darvi. Please don't go insane. I'm gonna have to try something else...
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well, the S-GES should be fully functional sometime during the next year, though getting the dwarves to move everything may be more of an issue. The next overseers' problem to ignore, really. I have absolutely no clue how to safely or productively continue the STFO, and am considering shutting it down for the moment to increase overall FPS, which is at 12, and stable. I'm rather proud of my processor, even though I'm trying to save enough money to replace it with a better one (per core, and hopefully with more cores.) RAM and video memory/processing seem to be my biggest issues lately.

The STFO is insanely deadly. It should lie along the path into the fort for invaders. Kirby successfully shut it down, but my fps hasn't increased. Oh well. Two accidental STFO related deaths/turn is enough...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 05:46:37 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: October 07, 2011, 05:10:40 pm »

I'll take on the responsibility of recording the songs, if you would like.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: October 07, 2011, 05:45:27 pm »

If you don't get to make the STFO into a new siege-only entrance, I may try my hand on it once my turn comes around. How fast does it kill stuff anyway? (do run some tests with prisioners)
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: October 07, 2011, 05:47:49 pm »

If you don't get to make the STFO into a new siege-only entrance, I may try my hand on it once my turn comes around. How fast does it kill stuff anyway? (do run some tests with prisioners)

Well, really they'd die at whatever rate they drown, but walking across the power train towards it seems absolutely suicidal.
I make Spellcrafts!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: October 07, 2011, 05:52:16 pm »

Well, really they'd die at whatever rate they drown, but walking across the power train towards it seems absolutely suicidal.

I guess the question I should have asked is: can it kill trolls before they try to wreck something?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: October 07, 2011, 06:03:28 pm »

The answer: not really. Trolls can swim naturally and thus avoid drowning, despite leaving a 2-tile gap between the STFO and the walkway denying them the chance to damage it on the way in. It would deal with goblins quite effectively though, and flooring over everything beneath water level would deny all access to the pump square. The transmission may need special protection, though, or trolls that are knocked in may try to path onto it to get out of the water.

Also; would anyone consider torching the trash at the northern edge of the map to deal with as much of it as possible unnacceptable use of DFhack? I don't really want to be using DFhack at all, but that trash ought be dealt with somehow, and hauling it isn't feasible.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 06:05:04 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

arcangelsd

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-builder of the STFO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: October 07, 2011, 06:53:28 pm »

Duh, duh, duh...Damn! Wrong control! That's the carnival music one... Wait, why I did even put.. whatever. Huh, this is getting me on my nerves. I'd better going to the windows to see what are those wackos doing.
WHAT
THEY SHUTTED OFF DARIUSH AND MYSELF MASTERPLAN
Darvi? The hell are you doing up there? What are you pointing at...
Ooooooohhh.. liberate all the ghosts of this fortress? THIS GIRL IS A FRIGGIN' GENIUS! Why didn't she ever told me her plan? Of course I could help! Yes yes! it only would require the adamantine emmiter to act as a psychic amplificator, in order to contact with everybodyghost and get them in working order. Also I could rig it to interfere with the astral doom that is stalking us... Only it would only delay it for a while, thought, and at the cost of being able to mess with the minds of the living ones... It is a tough prize to pay. I'll start toggling this precious...and I'll contact her with telepathy meanwhile. Sometimes I forget that, while being dead, I'm able to do things that would be physically impossible(even for us dwarves)
Did we just made reality itself commit suicide?
I think that sentence describes all of Failcannon.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: October 07, 2011, 07:09:47 pm »

You can usually spend a smaller sum to get a lawyer to deal with it for you.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 189