Poll

PULL THE LEVER? [Y/N]

Y
- 281 (87.8%)
N
- 39 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 319

Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 189

Author Topic: FailCannon: No Rest for the Wicked (or anyone else) (Succession: Battlefailed 2)  (Read 899887 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: FailCannon: Still Alive (somehow) (Succession: Battlefailed II)
« Reply #2250 on: October 09, 2011, 09:50:13 pm »

Cant you lock the liasons in somewhere and let them sort themselves out?

I've tried to catch them while they're in a room with a lockable door, but thus far have failed. The two remaining appear as intent as ever on meeting with Gizogin as our new mayor...

Er... The update should be along shortly.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: October 09, 2011, 10:04:53 pm »

11 dwarves, plus insane liasons? We clearly need more megadeathprojecttraps. I'll write up a design proposal sometime in the next few days. Also, if we ever get any migrants, I would like dwarfing, as Mego the Freaking Genius.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: October 09, 2011, 10:41:41 pm »

Post Humus journal of Erica Wheelcircles the Legendary Die-r

8th Opal, Late Winter 539.

Things have gone swimmingly lately, no violence, no tragedy, not even any major delays in construction. Hard to believe we’re actually in Failcann- Oh Armok, who’s screaming?

The flying +Bronze Bolt+ strikes the Traitorous Mayor in the lower body, tearing the muscle and bruising the guts through the cave spider silk trousers!

The flying +Bronze Bolt+ strikes the Traitorous Mayor in the left upper leg, tearing the muscle through the cave spider silk trousers!

The flying +Bronze Bolt+ strikes the Traitorous Mayor in the right upper leg, tearing the muscle and chipping the bone through the cave spider silk trousers!

So on and so forth with the groin shots for about 3 pages, a couple hits to the upper body…

The Traitorous Mayor screams like a little girl and returns to sleep!

Dear Armok; Dariush just waltzed in and started shooting at Catalyst while she slept! Oh the dwarfanity! I’ll have to get someone to help her!

I found Mebtob and telepathically convinced her to go get Catalyst and bring her to the hospital, but halfway to Zasit to prep for surgery I was waylaid by more screams, this time from Mebtob. When I made it back I found her running in circles in the stockpiles carrying Catalyst, screaming at the top of her lungs while staring right at Catalyst. She then promptly dropped Catalyst on the floor, and cleaved her head off with her axe. Perhaps an insane woodcutter isn’t a great option for medical staff…

Suddenly, Catalyst’s angry ghost appeared from her own decapitated head and glared straight into the eyes of a now deathly-pale Mebtob. They screamed in unison, one in rage and the other from shear unadulterated terror, and Catalyst’s ghost flung herself deep inside the mind of the now thoroughly soiled woman, who quickly began gripping her head and stumbling around shrieking for a good minute before finally collapsing in a heap on the floor. She stood, and turned to look upon spirit of Erica with eyes of mischievous evil, and gestured for her to follow… And the liaison making a puddle in the corner finally starts running around like a maddwarf.

My conversation with Catalyst was… interesting… I only wish I could have had the strength to both possess someone and completely subdue their soul immediately after death. Mebtob is in a new form of hell now, tortured within her own head for however long Catalyst remains in control, and I suspect Dariush will soon be defining an all-new form of pain to describe her experience as well, despite me telling her to stand down… She’s gone to bathe. But what’s that? An election, already? How the hell is this justified?

Gizogin stood upon the stage pile of corpses and garbage, looking particularly pleased with his triumphant return to the political stage.

“I thank you all for electing me mayor, following the completely shocking and unexpected death of our beloved Catalyst, which I had nothing to do with whatsoever.  I promise you that, even in these hard times we face, I will not do anything whatsoever to help you.  I mean seriously, I have no sense of responsibility whatsoever.  I don't know whose idea it was to nominate me, but it was probably a bad idea.”

The crowd quickly dispersed. That Aussie Dwarf everyone ignores was looking rather pleased with something, but Zasit’s expression already every bit as displeased and embarrassed as the one Erica would have put upon her face if she were currently possessing her. They spoke telepathically:

“Zasit! What’s going on? Catalyst hasn’t even been buried yet! How have we had time for an election?!”

“Huh? Gizogin said she was found dead this morning and buried downstairs. When did she really die?”

“She hasn’t been dead for but 5 minutes! Didn’t you hear the screaming? Dear Armok how couldn’t you?!”

“Well, yeah… I just thought that was that ghost friend of hers wailing about it…”

“Nope. That was mostly Mebtob, though. She killed Catalyst after Dariush shot her up.”

“What? But they were the only two to vote for Gizogin, which outdid me and Mormota… You think they set thi-”

“Of course they did! There isn’t shit we can do about it now, but Catalyst may be out for revenge anyway. Oh, by the way; Catalyst took possession of Mebtob. That was the third round of shrieking. Now scoot over I need to do something before you get too involved with-”

“No. Go find someone else to be your bitch. I’m on my break.”

I can’t believe it… She really just told me to get lost… I thought we were friends… How the hell am I supposed to get someone to open the gates now? We need those liaisons gone, and I’ve been using too much energy trying to be omniscient to possess someone without their willing it.

And so the ghost of Erica sat and moped for a little over a week before Erica paid her any attention. It was at that point that a frothing, insane bone doctor came running out of the stockpiles and charged after that Aussie dwarf that nobody ever cared enough about to learn the name of.

ThatAussieDwarf cancels Drink: Interrupted by bone doctor.

The bone doctor was now covered in a mouth-full of booze.
“WHERE IS SHE!? WHERE IS THE DEMON?! CLEANSE THE FILTH! BRING HER TO ME!”

The bone doctor beats the crap out of her!

Gizogin arrives, and fires at the bone doctor!

ThatAussieDwarf cancels Receive Ass Kicking: interrupted by Kill Stealing Bitch.

ThatAussieDwarf strikes the bone doctor in the head with her pick, and the severed part sails off in an arc!

The flying bronze bolt sails harmlessly through the now-empty head-space, impacting the wall and chipping the engraving!

Gizogin smashes the steel crossbow on her thigh, warping the steel, shredding the string, and bruising the thigh’s muscle.

Meanwhile at the other end of the fortress, under Erica’s supervision;

The Ethereal Engraver cancels Be Dead: too insane.

The Ethereal Engraver has gone stark raving mad!

The Ethereal Engraver possesses the peasant-liaison.

The peasant-liaison has fallen into the sea and drowned!

Spoiler: Dead Dorf Row. (click to show/hide)

That was fairly amusing. With Zasit once again willing to let me perform the necessary activities of running the fortress, I can… Sit here and do nothing. It’s the 18th Opal 539, I have 10 days left to run the fortress before the elections demand a new overseer (funny considering we have a mayor position…), and I can neither think of a single task to request nor do anything to speed up progress on the S-GES, since the entire workforce is involved with it. I suppose I should go grab a drink and consider my exit notices for the next overseer. Then I will bid farewell to my position in this fortress, and hopefully stay on Zasit’s good side.

Overseer’s exit notice: 28th Obsidian 539.

Congratulations on winning the elections, Overseer. I’m sure you feel the need to celebrate, but I’m also certain that any such celebrations must be brief, as your term begins here, and your personal success – and survival – depends entirely upon the intellectual and physical efforts you apply to your work. I cannot stress this enough, so I simply won’t. Contained herein are the orders that I feel are necessary to relay to you, that are now your responsibility to complete as much as they were mine.

Firstly; the removal of all burial districts and subsequent transplant into the upper catacombs and Dead Dwarf Storage area are to be continued. This project was titled the S-GES, or Strategic Ghost Emitter System. It’s purpose is obvious; release a shit-ton of ghosts into the fortress on cue. These ghosts will then terrorize everything living within the fortress or in a 3 square mile radius around it, and subsequently do battle with the forces of Queen Led. DO NOT pull the hematite lever, hereafter dubbed the “Big Red Button” in the closet off the south east corner of the control room, unless destruction of the fortress is already absolutely guaranteed. The reason being that the dead will attempt to assimilate survivors into their number, all living, for all eternity. Diagrams for future completion are contained below.
Should the fortress fall, and this system not be engaged, then all worlds are doomed to ten thousand years of misery under the rule of the Goddess of Death. Failcannon is the end of the road, all that is left.

Please search the fortress thoroughly for any coffins I may have missed, tear them down and reinter the dead in the Dead Dorf Storage area.

Next on the list of projects is rationalizing the fortress layout. During my reign I forbid many doorways and walled off many paths into areas of the fortress we no longer use which and have no short term purpose. This has helped greatly in keeping the dwarves in line and their minds on track. If you see it necessary to use them, then by all means do, but please lock down as much as possible.

Now, there were notes on the STFO around here somewhere, but I fail to locate them and thus couldn't tell you how best to continue that project. Essentially, all you need to do to turn on the lowest pump level is construct a horizontal axle along the power transmission at sea level. However, that same power transmission catwalk is forbidden as an accessway due to the extreme dangers of walking into the flow of water out of the STFO. Please, use the overhead walkways and staircases. The next part of the project should be a second level of pumps, in a tighter circle under the currently existing ring, and a third below that, making excavating the ocean floor possible. This project will likely take two years or so to complete.

Furthermore, I recently recieved word from an outside source that an engineer by the name of Mekboy, accompanied by Andreus, Mego, and possibly some other no-skill losers should be arriving sometime in the next year. You should already know that we desperately need migrants, so I expect you to let them in and divvy up their labors appropriately. Especially if there's anyone available for mining duty; don't have them hauling crap, they need to be mining, of course!

Finally, the dwarves don't need to worry about hauling random crap, but, according to the Labor Categorization and Definition Clause, they need to be designated as furniture haulers to construct basic buildings like coffins and slabs, and of course we need them to be interring the dead in said coffins. I undesignated several furniture stockpiles to prevent them tying to stockpile them and thus wasting time.

Good luck, and good riddance, mortals fellow dwarves!

Save!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Didn't intend to post that yet, I was trying to navigate back to DF...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 11:31:30 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: October 09, 2011, 11:02:00 pm »

Furthermore, I recently recieved word that an engineer by the name of Mego should be arriving sometime in the next year.

You do realize you essentially doomed the fortress to fall at my hands, right?

Dangit, hit post instead of preview. Could you also toss the regen of the world my way?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: October 09, 2011, 11:04:45 pm »

Is That Aussie Dwarf okay? 

And you can see the scheme, cant you?  We all saw Gizogin fire at one of our own.  Sure, my dwarf hacked it's head off, but he shot at it first... 

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: October 09, 2011, 11:08:49 pm »

Hey Aussie bro let's plan the destruction of the fortress.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: October 09, 2011, 11:10:53 pm »

Get your own!  My dwarf's scheme is so cunning and overly-complicated it's taken three disguises, two faked deaths and serious injuries, and it still hasn't quite reached fruition yet. It's also quite possible that my dwarf is now the only one that isn't possessed by the dead and damned. 

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: October 09, 2011, 11:13:09 pm »

Well, I have a plan for havoc. The question is, do you want to be in it or a victim of it?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: October 09, 2011, 11:15:21 pm »

Furthermore, I recently recieved word that an engineer by the name of Mego should be arriving sometime in the next year.

You do realize you essentially doomed the fortress to fall at my hands, right?

Dangit, hit post instead of preview. Could you also toss the regen of the world my way?

Is That Aussie Dwarf okay? 

And you can see the scheme, cant you?  We all saw Gizogin fire at one of our own.  Sure, my dwarf hacked it's head off, but he shot at it first... 

Reread the last part of the post, please; accidentally hit post while navigating back to the DF window. Left some stuff out.

And yes, Mego, I've actually uploaded the parameter set already: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5008
Just generate a world to your liking off that; the elevation file is forced, but biomes and their alignments are not.

AussieDorf is fairly healthy; the liaison was unarmed. Only new damage is a battered kidney. Still wandering around doing his job; Digging!

Get your own!  My dwarf's scheme is so cunning and overly-complicated it's taken three disguises, two faked deaths and serious injuries, and it still hasn't quite reached fruition yet. It's also quite possible that my dwarf is now the only one that isn't possessed by the dead and damned. 
Scaraban, Kirby, and Sinclair are all mortal as well, and possibly even rrdgway, who has strangely done absolutely nothing interesting the entire year...

STOP NINJA'IN MY POST!
I make Spellcrafts!

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: October 09, 2011, 11:24:57 pm »

Journal of Catalyst, Elven Studies Major.

I regret what had to be done to Medtob, but after the repeated escapes it was clear that my efforts to contain the influence of Queen Led within my own form were failing, and drastic action was needed.  Though once I would have considered it unthinkable to sacrifice one of our own, the stakes were too high to compromise, for either Medtob's life or my own petty morals. 

Our individual lives mean nothing, so long as Ungegugath lives on.  That is all that matters.

So far it seems my gambit was a success, and Led's mind-twisting power may indeed be banished from our fort at long last.  If not... at least I am whole again.  What is more... when she was inside my mind, I too saw inside hers.  And from that, I learned - I learned... such things.  And with that knowledge was I able to project my consciousness into this new form. 

Led knew not what she did, when she brought the fight to our minds, to my domain.  Now, she will have in me an enemy as implacable and as eternal as she herself.  Led Shakeoars, you will learn to fear me.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 11:29:24 pm by CatalystParadox »
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: October 09, 2011, 11:32:12 pm »

Alright, the save is up. It's already linked in the update.

Took forever to upload...

So, how do you all think it went?
I make Spellcrafts!

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: October 09, 2011, 11:33:05 pm »

Alright, the save is up. It's already linked in the update.

Took forever to upload...

So, how do you all think it went?

The fortress is still standing, so pretty damn good.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: October 09, 2011, 11:36:45 pm »

Enjoyed! :)

Anyone agree it would be appropriate to use Runesmith to set the former Medtob-now-Catalyst's Intuition (and possibly Empathy? not sure) to something high to reflect the psychic mind now inhabiting his former shell?  I leave it up to others and certainly won't insist.

I disagree, btw, that it was an anticlimactic end - I think a conflict (primarily over pants and/or socks, no less) that ended with another instance of carrying-wounded-turned-deadly-assault (turned psychic possession!) is just perfect.
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: October 09, 2011, 11:47:45 pm »

After all that Failcannon (and its predecessor, for that matter) has gone through, everything that happens is epic.

I vote against using tools like RS and DFHack to cheat. That is undwarvenly. The fortress shall live and die of its own accord, with no external influences other than that bitch Led.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: October 10, 2011, 12:04:02 am »

Enjoyed! :)

Anyone agree it would be appropriate to use Runesmith to set the former Medtob-now-Catalyst's Intuition (and possibly Empathy? not sure) to something high to reflect the psychic mind now inhabiting his former shell?  I leave it up to others and certainly won't insist.

I disagree, btw, that it was an anticlimactic end - I think a conflict (primarily over pants and/or socks, no less) that ended with another instance of carrying-wounded-turned-deadly-assault (turned psychic possession!) is just perfect.

Thanks. I put a lot of time into this update.

I vote against using tools like RS and DFHack to cheat. That is undwarvenly. The fortress shall live and die of its own accord, with no external influences other than that bitch Led.

What he's suggesting isn't cheating, really; it would have no real affect on the game, being almost purely aesthetic. I support minor edits like this, really. After all, we aren't supposed to be able to turn bones (or muscle. or guts.) into blocks, but we've done so, with the main effect being aesthetic, but it did provide a large boon to our available building materials. What he is asking seems reasonable enough, so I'll say yes.
Now, what I was suggesting about burning the Northern Trash Heaps and permanently accepting the liaisons as citizens of Failcannon could be considered cheating. Nobody supported the gesture though so I did nothing. I actually didn't use any utilities during my term besides dwarf therapist when I was feeling lazy. Unbelievably lazy. I NEVER use it for anything.
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 189