Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A minimalist mod request  (Read 4186 times)

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A minimalist mod request
« on: August 20, 2010, 11:29:59 am »

Original topic idea:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63136.0

I am requesting someone make a mod that doesn't add, but takes away features.  I wish for a mod that removes everything superfluous.  For instance, remove all the trees except one and name it tree.  Remove all the stone types except one for each type (eg, "stone", "Steel", "Gem", etc).  Basically remove as much unneeded detail as possible.

I have a theory that most of the game is detail rather than complexity.  I think if we removed the detail from the game it would makes things easier to learn for noobs.  Then put them back on the detail after they know what they are doing.

Unfortunately, I do not know how to mod or have the time to learn.  So I am asking the pros here at this board.  (Though I have no idea how to mod)  I can't imagine it would be nearly as hard to just remove and rename unneeded materials compared to making new ones.

So humbly I ask, will you make this mod for me?

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: A minimalist mod request
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 11:31:15 am »

I can do it, if you're willing to wait until late tonight or tomorrow morning.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 11:57:52 am »

That is completely and totally fine.  Beggars can't be choosers.

Thank you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 01:52:06 pm »

Just be careful to deal with the built in features you can't avoid with whatever you do keep. Make the stone magmaproof. Be sure to keep coal as a fuel feature. Etc.

Also there are some things that can only be changed in worldgen: number of layers, number of cavern layers, if there is a magma sea, if there is hell, etc.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 07:04:38 pm »

Alright, I'm going to get started now. Any specific last-minute requests?

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 07:28:40 pm »

Actually, sorry mate. I have recently learned I'm going to be swamped all weekend. You're going to have to find somebody else (I recommend asking Deon). It's more work than you think it is.  :P

Sorry about this. Things come up, eh?

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 07:33:38 pm »

Alright, no problem.  :)

Anyone else interested?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 08:15:01 pm »

Preliminary release.

Eh. I'll do it. Shouldn't be difficult.

Things I'm considering:
- Splitting gems into three value classes, striking a median point between individual values Done
- Generic "stone" and obsidian Done, there are still distinct layer types but there's always a chance of you finding anything in them
- Generic sand? Generic soil types? Done, aquifers removed as well, except under oceans
- Unsure how to handle steel Dealt with, sedimentary layers are flux and flux shows up in clusters elsewhere
- Unsure how to handle valuble but generally useless ore types (cobalt, etc). Turn them all into gold or something? Did just that, kept silver and platinum as well
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 10:08:39 pm by 3 »

GildedBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 08:48:52 pm »

Well, you need ore, coal, and flux for steel, so I would think that one of each would be good. Perhaps make the sedimentary layer flux, and either make it show up in the other layer stones or make a second flux stone.

As for valuable, but generally useless, stone, I say make a stone type that is "decorative stone" that can be smelted into "decorative metal" which can be used to make statues, furniture, barrels, and such. It would, of course, be worth more then the normal stone.

The names I suggest:
Iron Ore
Unrefined Coal
Sedimentary Flux
Cluster Flux
Decorative Stone.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 08:53:33 pm »

What I've done is removed all of the (non-deep) ores except platinum, gold, silver, copper, and cassiterite, renamed mined cassiterite "tin nuggets" (I have no idea whether tin forms nuggets or not), and added a generic coal and iron ore. As I say, I've tweaked the frequency values significantly so there's a chance of anything showing up anywhere, but in general terms, metamorphic gets you lots of gems, igneous gets you gold/silver/platinum and bronze components, and sedimentary gets you more coal and iron. That should be simple enough.

As for flux, sedimentary and metamorphic currently have has the flux tag. Cluster flux is a really good idea, I'll add that.

I might also add obsidian clusters as well.

Edit: Stone's pretty much done. Moving on to wood now, then probably farming, and I'm not sure what after that.

Edit:
- All trees removed except tower-caps, generic tree added
- Kobold bulbs (gnomeblight), quarry bushes, and dimple cups annihilated. Most overland plants still exist.

Edit: Material-dependent creatures should work. Amethyst men are still called amethyst men, even if they're just made out of a generic precious gem. Precious gems made purple to compensate, as I don't feel like adjusting the creature.

Apart from that stuff, I think this is mostly done. Commencing testing...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 09:30:00 pm by 3 »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 10:07:54 pm »

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 03:24:51 am »

The names I suggest:
Iron Ore
Unrefined Coal
Sedimentary Flux
Cluster Flux
Decorative Stone.

I see what you did there.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 08:34:29 am »

Alright, I was thinking of things that can be removed.

Since the point of this mod is to teach the basic mechanics and not introduce the superficial parts, then maybe it would help to remove all the animals except a few class reps?  I'm not sure about balancing issues on this one, is it possible to have one animal type show up enough that there isn't a noticeable lack of wildlife?  For instance, have one predator, have one food breeding animal, keep cats and dogs, and then a good representative of the wildlife found underground?  Once again, I'm not sure the limits of these things.  Fish could probably be culled too.

The point of this mod would be to remove all the intimidating detail of the game, to provide a game-mechanics-only mod.

Thank you vey much for your help so far.  :D

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 08:37:59 am »

Alright, I was thinking of things that can be removed.

Since the point of this mod is to teach the basic mechanics and not introduce the superficial parts, then maybe it would help to remove all the animals except a few class reps?  I'm not sure about balancing issues on this one, is it possible to have one animal type show up enough that there isn't a noticeable lack of wildlife?  For instance, have one predator, have one food breeding animal, keep cats and dogs, and then a good representative of the wildlife found underground?  Once again, I'm not sure the limits of these things.  Fish could probably be culled too.

The point of this mod would be to remove all the intimidating detail of the game, to provide a game-mechanics-only mod.

Thank you vey much for your help so far.  :D
It might be easier (and better) to just change the existing animals display names/tiles.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 10:17:24 am »

You don't want 10 lines of "wolf meat" because you renamed them. It's easier to delete them.

Don't forget to make at least one plant type with leaves, the lack of it was known to crash worldgen.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: [1] 2 3