Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: A minimalist mod request  (Read 4220 times)

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A minimalist mod request
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2010, 02:35:33 pm »

You don't want 10 lines of "wolf meat" because you renamed them. It's easier to delete them.

Don't forget to make at least one plant type with leaves, the lack of it was known to crash worldgen.
Also, a HAS_SHELL is needed, blood is needed, one CIV_CONTROLLABLE is needed, one SEMI_MEGABEAST and MEGABEAST is needed (but not required to be generated), etc. There are alot more.

I would advise to NOT cut down the types of wood too much. We need at least 5:
Tree
Glumprong
Feather Wood
Tower-cap
Blood thorn

Remember that Heavily Forested areas are only heavily forested if there is a tree that can grow there. Tree is probably counter-intuitive, it's probably better to keep it as Oak, Ceder, Ash, Mangrove and expand the biomes of all of them.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2010, 06:08:56 pm »

Not trying to derail this thread because I think it's a fascinating idea and I can't wait to see how it ends up.

But it's also made me think of the possibility of removing civilizations entirely and building off a more "Realistic" set of animals and just see what happens to populations over a few thousand years.  i.e. use the DF engine as a sort of basic alife simulator.

Then go into adventure mode and see what's happened.  Of course I'm not familiar enough with modding creatures to know if this would do anything at all, or if certain creatures are only "allowed" to live in certain zones and wouldn't actually be able to migrate across the map.  Or if predator/prey relationships are present at all.  Still, a neat idea.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2010, 06:46:40 pm »

As I said, you need either a CIV_CONTROLLABLE civ or at least 1 civ, otherwise worldgen won't work.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2010, 10:15:08 pm »

I would advise to NOT cut down the types of wood too much. We need at least 5:
Tree
Glumprong
Feather Wood
Tower-cap
Blood thorn

Why those five? Dead ordinary trees still show up in evil areas, while living ordinary trees show up in good areas.

Having said that, I think I'll expand the tower-cap's underground depth level so it shows up everywhere (everywhere >magma, of course).

Don't forget to make at least one plant type with leaves, the lack of it was known to crash worldgen.

An excellent point. I might have to put quarry bushes back then, or at least make a leafy overground plant (Do any exist in vanilla? I don't think so).

maybe it would help to remove all the animals except a few class reps?

I'll have to experiment a bit.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2010, 10:59:07 pm »

I think this is an excellent idea, and I'd probably play around with it, or at least suggest it to newbies.
3, Perhaps you should start your own thread for the mod that you can pimp and update appropriately (you don't expect an actual mod in a request thread)?
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2010, 11:23:47 pm »

3, Perhaps you should start your own thread for the mod that you can pimp and update appropriately (you don't expect an actual mod in a request thread)?

I'll likely do that once the original request is satisfied (that is, once I feel everything's mostly done).

Working on vermin at the moment. I've decided to remove pretty much everything except rats and flies - it strikes me as especially important to remove vermin with a high PENETRATEPOWER, as they confuse the "containers protect food" idea a bit. I think I'll take phantom spiders out, as they don't really serve a purpose anyway at the moment, and I'll keep regular cave spiders.

Anyone got any preferences on how I should approach subterrenean creatures?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 12:03:31 am by 3 »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 01:07:53 am »

I've left subterreanian creatures alone for now, as they're mostly unique. What I've primarily done with creatures is remove ones which don't have a specific purpose or otherwise have an equivalent (elks have been removed because mustox exist, black bears have been removed as grizzlies exist, etc). I might play around with biomes a bit, but they should be mostly okay.

Anyway, update uploaded.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 07:31:11 am »

Alright, I've had another idea.  You know how some items have descriptions?  Is it possible t change those to have instructions on what to do with it?  A basic once over of needed info and key strokes to get it to work?  Maybe a basic list of items it is most commonly used for?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 09:32:08 am »

Yeah, I was considering something along the same lines, but it's really not possible with anything other than creatures. None of these changes will fix the complexity of the UI either... it's a shame we can't adjust vanilla workshops yet.

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2010, 02:02:05 pm »

If you can't edit them, can you delete vanilla workshops?  If you can, then just make custom ones to do the same one?
Diggy diggy hole.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2010, 02:03:37 pm »

:o
You ninja.  I was just about to come here and suggest you delete the normal ones and remake them as custom ones.

EDIT:
And you beat me by just a minute too.  Creepy almost...

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2010, 02:07:29 pm »

Do you not see me sat behind you? :D
Diggy diggy hole.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2010, 02:08:52 pm »

You are in my wall?!  O_O

I need to petition God to fix that bug...

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2010, 12:08:44 am »

No, it's impossible to edit them at all.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 03:29:50 am »

But couldn't you delete those shops out of the civ entry of dwarfs and insert your own instead?
Taste my Paci-Fist
Pages: 1 [2] 3