Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Add option to clearly dig, leaving no stones  (Read 2300 times)

mLegion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Add option to clearly dig, leaving no stones
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 05:25:39 am »

If anything inexperienced miners should leave useless 'rubble' in each square they don't manage to mine a usable rock out of.
This way you need to haul just as much to clear an area but mining skill produces less rubbish.

Currently i just use 5 peasants with 0 mining skill to mine out huge areas.

pushing.robot

• Bay Watcher
  • Wind-Up Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 09:40:13 am »

How about selling it?  Humans were always looking for good sources of stone to build castles and walls (among other things).  It may not be tremendously profitable, but there should always be someone willing to take it off your hands.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 09:50:07 am »

Last time in the "realistic mining" thread the conclusion was that we should wait until the hauling has been improved before we can correctly assess what is an acceptable level of debris/stone generated by mining.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Sunken

• Bay Watcher
  • Wabewalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 05:08:13 pm »

How about selling it?  Humans were always looking for good sources of stone to build castles and walls (among other things).  It may not be tremendously profitable, but there should always be someone willing to take it off your hands.
If the stones are quarried, nice and block-shaped that is. Rubble is much less useful. The game should definitely differentiate between the two IMO.
Quarrying would not only take much more time and skill per tile, but it should probably be impossible to do at the end of a tunnel; I think you realistically need to be able to get at the stone from all sides to cut clean blocks.
Alpha version? More like elf aversion!

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 06:32:23 pm »

Perhaps we need two types of digging then.

One which extracts stones whole. Good for ores, gems, and construction material. Same function as regular high-skill digging, but much slower.

And another that simply breaks the rock out of the way. Just creates rubble, which slows travel and prevents use of the tile. It would be much faster to dig, though. Even shattered rock has uses, though. Filling walls faced with clean stone, crushing into gravel, weight-lifting exercise, prospecting for trace minerals, crafting into small items, constructing ramps, murder hole ammunition, cave-in traps...

There would probably be an option that sets whether undiscovered valuable minerals get set to be carefully mined out if you designate an area to be dug.

Or have a single dig order, and have a preference in the Dwarven control panel that says "Dwarves save valuable stone/Dwarves save all stone/Dwarves destroy all stone"
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 06:46:28 pm by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2010, 01:53:49 pm »

No.

I mean honestly, mining already gives tons of break from realism, so your dwarves consistently atomizing solid rock even more so than they do now might go a bit too far.

And if all the excess rock is an issue for you, just mass dump it into the magma sea or a atom smasher. It's not like your gazillion idlers have anything better to do.

No.

The only thing that that stone does is make the game boring. It doesn't affect the play experience in any way other than slowing the framerate. Having lag as a game mechanic would be incredibly poor design.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2010, 02:18:14 pm »

And if all the excess rock is an issue for you, just mass dump it into the magma sea or a atom smasher. It's not like your gazillion idlers have anything better to do.

No.

The only thing that that stone does is make the game boring. It doesn't affect the play experience in any way other than slowing the framerate. Having lag as a game mechanic would be incredibly poor design.
Have you actually tested stone's effect on framerate? As much as the game design seems to be affected by number of items, it doesn't really.

Also, the only thing stone does is make the game boring? Stone is a nessesary resource. Play without mining any stone, and try to make stuff. You then realize wood isn't the holy can-make-everything material. I actually find myself running out of stone WITHOUT dumping, atom-smashing, and other stone-killing methods. It made me dig to the caverns prematurely many times. Getting stone is part of the challenge in the game. It could be improved as a challenge, but that's improved mining.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2010, 02:41:30 pm »

Items do have an impact on framerate.  Don't believe me?  Just crank up the TRADE_CAPACITY value of pack animals or caravans by a few orders of magnitude, and see what unholy things it does to your framerate.

Of course, that's with tens or hundreds of thousands of items.

As for making mining create more items, it creates more lag, but also creates a much slower digging process.  If you never run out of stone, it's because you're excavating stone far more than you're building with stone. If you build an aboveground fortress with plenty of stone walls, then you're going to have much less stone lying around because you're starting to use more than you create.  The purpose of having "Improved Mining" excess crap to clean up and blocking off tunnels until you clean it up is to make mining in general slower and less able to simply generate massive floor-wide open caverns, and making you prioritize what you mine out so that you don't just mass-designate entire mountains to be hollowed out. 

If anything, it should be a limiter on Undergrotto-esque excavation projects that generate that kind of hundreds of thousands of stones that really spike the lag upwards.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2010, 02:47:44 pm »

It really depends on the processor. I guess mine iterates quickly or something, I don't have a difference between 10000 stones and 0.

And, yeah, I guess. But most of my stone is going towards doors and crafts, because I'm sort of crazy with dooring every single hallway/room/stockpile/entrance, and crafts are my sole trade-good. Some is going towards mechanisms, and not that much is going towards my one or two story buildings above ground. And I have stripmined an entire 4x4 z-level to fuel my stone industry, so it's probably not that I'm not mining too often.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2010, 04:02:03 pm »

Regardless, like I said before, mining is already easy as hell and it is not at all hard to destroy the waste stone. Having to clear out the rubble gives you at least some logistical concern.

How stone makes the game boring is beyond me though. Having absolutely no challenge or considerations in mining out ridiculously large and deep areas is boring.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Sunken

• Bay Watcher
  • Wabewalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2010, 03:21:28 am »

If mining was significantly slower, then that would also make caverns more interesting and desirable - merely for the fact that they'd provide free open space that you didn't have to carve out yourself.

It seems to me to be a desirable thing; caverns as real estate, worth fighting over merely to be able to live there.
Alpha version? More like elf aversion!
Pages: 1 [2]