Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bronze Colossus dimensions?  (Read 11542 times)

Zokinin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bronze Colossus dimensions?
« on: August 21, 2010, 12:54:04 am »

I was curious about how large bronze colossi actually were, since it will matter when multi-cell creatures are implemented. So here are some calculations (in spoilers so you can skip them if you want):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
From these conclusions I found that a bronze colossus would be 13 meters tall, 3.8 meters wide, and 1.6 meters deep. With my previous assumption of a human being about 2 meters tall and that being the length of one tile, a bronze colossus would be:
7 z-levels high,
2 tiles wide and
1 tile deep.
This is a pretty rough estimation. Just wanted to know what your thoughts might be.

Edit: changed image to be a url its HUGE when i linked it.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 02:51:47 am by Toady One »

Oxinabox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bronze Colossus dimensions?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 01:31:53 am »

this would mean than broze colosi, are not threat to a fortress, unless, destoryable natural walls are implimented before multitile monsters.

The dwarves are basically ants to it.
Well mice at least.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 04:02:46 am »

A single tile contains both infinitely large and infinitely small amounts of space, so your calculations are off.

By infinity.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

andfhe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 04:16:00 am »

A single tile contains both infinitely large and infinitely small amounts of space, so your calculations are off.

By infinity.

Yes. Infinity. That's a lot.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 09:54:24 am »

The 70,000 bodysize is actually an average that assumes a 70kg average human, and a density of 1 kg/l, the same as water.  You can think of bodysize as a measurement of volume in ml. 

So basically, the BC is 300 times the volume of the average human.

2 meters, however, is not the right baseline measurement to use, as you want to find the average height of someone who weighs 70 kg, and 2 meters tall is unusually tall.

Using some google searches on height-weight charts, I'd say your 70kg person comes up being about 1.75 meters tall.

So, k should be 13061

I get roughly 11.53 meters height.

Now then, according to my own calculations, the size of a tile should be approximately 3m cube.  This is based off of the fact that every z-level is capable of being a single "story" of a building, using roughly human creatures. (See here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61215.0)

This makes a Bronze Collossus fit in a 4-meter tall stack of single tiles horizontally while standing fully upright.  (Technically, it would spill out to the sides by a small amount, but this could be negligible.)

By infinity.

This exists solely because of the ban on multi-tile creatures.  It can be changed. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare