Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Dreaded Magma Dwarfs......  (Read 1090 times)

Zulaf

• Bay Watcher
  • Am I learning, or do I only think I am?
    • View Profile
The Dreaded Magma Dwarfs......
« on: September 14, 2007, 09:59:00 pm »

Beware they are immune to all magma and there cloths get magically fire proof....

....and all there animal are immune too..

I did a search and couldnt find anything about this..
Luckily i made a backup before i tested out my magma moat(always do)...
You see it made my steel aquduct blow up... maybe i used to much copper, i could have also seen iron and thought it sayed steel..

WIERD 2-5-6-8-9-14

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dreaded Magma Dwarfs......
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 10:51:00 pm »

Is temperature off?
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 10:52:00 pm »

Your steel aqueduct should've worked so long as a steel bar was the topmost item on the list when you built it. As for why none of your dwarves are dying ... is temperature turned on? I remember building a noble execution chamber, linking it with magma, and being quite vexed when the snooty purple buggers didn't die in a conflagration. Temperature was the culprit there, I believe.
000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

Zulaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 10:59:00 pm »

1: loaded the backup and yes it was a steel aqueduct. if you mean when i built it yes it was the topmost materiel when i was selecting them, if you mean when you look at it no i think its bronze.

2: temperature? i dunno about that one... ill check and try to flood again see if it kills them.

P.S. i will have to look up temperature on the wiki i heard stuff about it but never gave it much thought so dont post about it ill find it on the wiki.

EDIT: ok i couldnt find anything in the wiki on how to turn it on and off plus i gota get off the computer for tonight so i cant look into it anymore.

[ September 15, 2007: Message edited by: Zulaf ]

WIERD 2-5-6-8-9-14

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 11:50:00 pm »

In the dwarf fortress data folder is a folder called Init.
Open it, and then open init.txt

Find the line with temperature, and then type in ON (because the thing is case sensitive, on, or On, or oN wont work) just realise that it's going to suck up some of your framerate along with your dwarves.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 09:06:00 am »

Also this is fixed in the new version so that with temperature off they at least drown.  5 cheers for Toady.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Zulaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 10:37:00 am »

Ok check the init.txt thing and i seen its not in there so i checked my version..... turns out iv got v0.23.125.23b, thats cause i downloaded the easy tileset thing off the wiki for my current tile set and evadently its an older version....
This is the one i used cause im lazy and didnt want to mess with it... i guess i will now..
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Object_Tilesets
WIERD 2-5-6-8-9-14

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 07:31:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Shzar:
<STRONG>Your steel aqueduct should've worked so long as a steel bar was the topmost item on the list when you built it. As for why none of your dwarves are dying ... is temperature turned on? I remember building a noble execution chamber, linking it with magma, and being quite vexed when the snooty purple buggers didn't die in a conflagration. Temperature was the culprit there, I believe.</STRONG>
I once built a steel aqueduct for magma - incorrectly supposing that you had to use steel for magma aqueducts - and was terribly surprised when the magma destroyed it.  I believe I had temperature turned off, but I'm not positive.
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 08:15:00 am »

Well, that's odd. Unless you are building it over the magma flow, try using rock instead.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!