Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: GCS SCIENCE "it blinded me with SCIENCE!"  (Read 9572 times)

Devonus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
GCS SCIENCE "it blinded me with SCIENCE!"
« on: August 21, 2010, 05:30:42 pm »

all right, i'm trying to work out a few things regarding a future FB trap i'm trying to set up. Now this all theory, and i've done SOME testing but its been limited.

First, according to various statement GCS webs disable a creatures inability to be trapped, aka if you can web an FB you can trap it. I worked out a desigh and tested it in the object arena to some extent, however there are a few key issues i'm trying to work out, and as i dont have a fort capable of supporting the trap i have in mind at this time, i'm hoping some of you from the community with modding experiance and other such things can give me a hand, or just happen to have an available GCS around and some test dummies (elves, gobbos etc etc)

First the basic idea of this trap is to capture FB as well forming a GCS silk farm, but mainly just to capture FBs. The basic desighn is as follow.

wwwwtwwww
w              w
w   ddddd  w
w   dFFFd   w
w   dFSFd   p
w   dFFFd   w
w   ddddd   w
w              w
wwwwtwwww

w=wall
d=door
f=Fortifactions
d=door/flood gate/ something to block the spiders Line of site
t=tunnel to caverns and/or outside
p=path to fortress

S=Giant Cave Spider
Please note you need to Cage trap the entire room in order to capture the creatures when they get webbed (according to some being webbed is the equivalant of being knocked uncouncious which in turn makes untrappable creatures trappable)

however when testing in the arena by walling off a GCS in a room with fortications and building a platform right outside by using lava and water to make a platform on the same level as the gcs, the gcs fire a few times and then stopped, further attempts to do so by replacing the spiders also resulted in them not firing at all. I've heard tale that in order for the gcs to fire it must be able to path to the creature, however i beleive further testing is merited to solve this issue, if spiders can (like pets and other creatures) continue to path through a door even if they can't get through it, mayhaps just using a door instead of something else that would allow them to path to the creature  would enable firing, however i can't test this with my current fort nor in the arena, and i dont mod or anything like that.

further testing also needs to be done to see if door's opened by levers are immune to building destroyers bc their open, if not a drawbridge style view blocking system may be needed (note the view blocking system is so that your cdorfs can go in and collect webs/ trapped creatures further more if opened doors still screw with building destroyer like they use to, and may stop fire breathers from targeting the gcs.

any and all assistance with this will be greatly appreciated (pls note i'm still a noob, however i'm coming up with stupid idea's faster then i can test them, i havn't even had a fort go past 2 years yet and i'm dreaming up this shit, this game is great for creativity though ^^)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 07:04:32 pm by Devonus »

bobbylantine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GCS SCIENCE "it blinded me with SCIENCE!"
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 06:02:11 pm »

Interesting.  I've never heard about FBs becoming vulnerable to traps after getting webbed but I'm interested to see if it can be proven in arena mode.  I currently have a trapped GCS but my attempt at a GCS silk farm failed so I had to retrap it.  After mulling over my options I think I've devised an efficient GCS silk farm layout. 

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 06:30:07 pm »

Any means to capture FBs would make this game 10x more fun. :D Unfortunately my current caves have zero spiders. :(

FBs get caught ni GCS webs? You can extract creatures from GCS webs somehow?
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Devonus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 07:02:07 pm »

ahhhi forgot to mention and i'm editing it, but according to some, being webbed is the same as being knocked uncouncious, which in turns makes untrapable things trapable via cage traps. so you would line the room with cage traps in the free spaces.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 07:33:12 pm »

I haven't encountered a GCS in 31.0x, but in 40d, they needed to be able to path to their target before they'd fire. This was generally accomplished with a pet-impassable door. In your diagram, the pet-impassable door would replace a fortification.

I know the pet-impassable door made GCS farms of this type work in 40d, so you can try them in 31.0x.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Devonus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 09:04:05 pm »

meh, wasn't honestly to worried about the gcs silk farm, i was just going to use the easy drop kittens in on top of it strategy

Devonus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 04:10:13 pm »

any testing to see if this is applicable yet? sorry like i said, currently still working on running a normal succesful fort before i try to manipulate the various FUN objects in the game.

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 04:33:58 pm »

Hm, I never heard about webs making stuff trapable.

Maybe testing it with kobolds/gremlins first?
If you have any of them, try it.

Or just give [TRAPAVOID] to a local creature of your choice.
(Just don't forget to remove it later)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 05:54:48 pm »

I haven't encountered a GCS in 31.0x, but in 40d, they needed to be able to path to their target before they'd fire. This was generally accomplished with a pet-impassable door. In your diagram, the pet-impassable door would replace a fortification.

I know the pet-impassable door made GCS farms of this type work in 40d, so you can try them in 31.0x.

Is the web throwing rule the same for dragonfire or imp firebreath? If so then in theory the dragonfire pillbox should work :p
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 12:00:34 am »

Hm, I never heard about webs making stuff trapable.

Maybe testing it with kobolds/gremlins first?
If you have any of them, try it.

Or just give [TRAPAVOID] to a local creature of your choice.
(Just don't forget to remove it later)

I don't know about .31, but it definitely worked that way in the last version. I found this out when one of my War Giant Cave Spiders tethered at the front gate hit a kobold with a web and it was promptly captured by the cage trap it was standing on. The kobold was uninjured when I tossed her in with the goblin prisoners so the spider didn't actually land a physical attack before she was captured.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 04:16:30 am »

Is the web throwing rule the same for dragonfire or imp firebreath? If so then in theory the dragonfire pillbox should work :p
Dragonfire... pillbox? Must learn more...

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 04:48:41 am »

Hm.

I think I test it with some modding (common domestic GCS :3)
And openning the HFS.

:3
Shouldn't take that long.

EDIT: Having war giant cave spiders is awesome.
:D
Having them fighting next to your workshops is not that awesome, "Urist McWorker cancels work:Webbed" is a bit annoying.
But its much better then "Urist McMisfortune cancels work: Interrupted by [INSERT RANDOM CAVE CREATURE HERE]"

EDIT2: SUCCCESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This rocks :D
Also, all those Clowns you see there, just stop at those two doors standing on the tile in front of the open door (its made from pitchblende).
I have no idea why but its awesome :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well, that was it with that fort.
Stupid mechanic who tried to reload the cage traps.
He has awaken a much bigger evil then imagineable.
AN ANGRY PLAYER!

EDIT3:
Seems like my fort isn't doomed.....
44 demons spawned.
15 are still living, 10 in cages.

There are also 10 surviving war giant cave spiders (I embarked with 20) and 2 dwarves still surviving/running in fear from the surviving demons.
God this shit is AWESOME!

EDIT4:Oh wait it is.
Damn.
No dwarf survived, but only 4 demons did :D
(Stupid cave crocodile that killed 5 of my WGCS cause they were blistered everywhere and crouching on the ground.

Since its possible to cage clowns, it must be possible to cage FBs.
Its also much easier since they don't come in packs of 30 or so.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 06:20:13 am by niggy »

The Yellow Peril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 08:23:59 am »

To answer one of your questions, opened doors can still be destroyed by building_destroyers.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 08:55:29 am »

My current fort has tame Forest Spiders (same as GCS but a little smaller).
During a Mind Flayer siege one dwarf ended up in a cage trap, presumably from web+trap or unconscious+trap.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 11:39:19 am »

You should test domestic dragons and dragonfire pillbox too.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.
Pages: [1] 2 3