Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Parades  (Read 1261 times)

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Parades
« on: August 24, 2010, 02:40:22 pm »

As discussed in the #bay12games IRC:

Parades.

By the military, specifically. Have them march up and down in all their goblin-slaughtering finery and give anyone who sees them a happy thought from "seeing the splendor of their fort's military" or something. Magnitude of the happy thought could be influenced by the quality of their weaponry/armor, the combat skill of the parading dorfs, and/or each soldier's kill count.

This sort of leads into general military ceremonies; perhaps dorfs might throw a party when someone becomes a legendary champion?

(Not that this would be particularly useful, but it'd be pretty awesome and that makes it worth suggesting.)
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Parades
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 05:11:44 pm »

I think Toady mentioned, prior to the release of the current version, that this is something he wanted to do. I think he gave up on it, temporarily anyway, to expedite the release of the present version.
!!&!!

andfhe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 06:32:56 pm »

I think Toady mentioned, prior to the release of the current version, that this is something he wanted to do. I think he gave up on it, temporarily anyway, to expedite the release of the present version.

Are there any ideas left Toady hasn't already come up with?
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 09:05:28 pm »

When dwarves have a child, Bow Chicka wow wow immediately begins to play.

There, that's one idea.  :P

andfhe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 08:03:37 pm »

Yes, that is certainly original...
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 04:29:14 am »

Would have to depend on the dwarves personality.
Some may be pacifist and others aggressive.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 05:04:17 am »

Pacifist Dwarves?

Never.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 06:22:24 am »

Not pacifist, but more like "If we kill goblins with traps instead of a military, less dwarves end up dead in ratio with the amount of goblins/elves/whatever."
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 08:08:41 am »

Does that make me a dwarven pacifist if I rely upon traps because I'm too lazy to bother training soldiers, and prefer to just make a labyrinth of every trap I can think of and cram into my entranceways?  Because I've never really liked the military aspects of these city-building games, and much prefer the engineering aspects.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 06:18:47 pm »

Can we have the parades be ordered by nobles, so that we eventually get Baron Urist McLieutentant Schiesskopf (Catch-22) continually ordering military parades until they all collapse/dehydrate/go berserk? Perhaps different members of the nobility could attempt to out-parade each other, with similar results?