Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: my suggestions  (Read 727 times)

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
my suggestions
« on: August 21, 2010, 11:36:18 pm »

Instead of just whining everywhere, might as well put these here where they hopefully belong:

* I hate the new burrows definition. I want the old one where you can order "stay inside" back, or similar to be the automated default burrow instead of having to define it by hand and piece by piece that takes ages.
Also accidental deletion of the defined burrows is too easy... causes way too much work.

* Not being able to use and trade caged goblins and other intelligent beings as slaves.
  * Elven dancers at parties!
  * Goblin slaves to work the mills!
  * Troll miners to dig for ore! 
* Not being able to somehow trap FBs and demons is dull..
* Implement geysirs!!! Maybe even magma geysirs?
* No underground rivers anymore? - boring... ;_;
* No chasms and bottomless pits anymore? - boring ;_;

* New military system. -- Do they ever obey orders now?
* Glass portals are not really teleport portals, just glass doors. Teleport portals would be much nicer.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:22:31 pm by jei »
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
Re: my suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 01:47:18 am »

"Portal" is just a name. Teleportation is so anachronistoc that it's never going to happen.

Caverns have replaced chasms, and there's water down there to replace UG rivers/pools.

You can use enemies as slaves, with modding. Look for the 'friendship enhancer' in the Modding section.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 08:37:43 am »

"Portal" is just a name. Teleportation is so anachronistoc that it's never going to happen.

Caverns have replaced chasms, and there's water down there to replace UG rivers/pools.
1. You never know, maybe "teleportation" could be part of the magic arc.
2. Toady plans on bringing underground rivers back, I believe.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 05:35:03 pm »

So what if it is anachronistic? I would find teleportation highly useful and interesting in large maps. Reality can go take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut, like Stephen King put it, as far as I'm concerned and as far as the game is fun and interesting.

I also think underground rivers were very beautiful and interesting and it's a pity that we lost them, together with the other features.

A few more ideas:

* Meteor strikes
 - a giant ball of magma that creates a magma pool and fires all around when it hits the ground. Maybe one dwarf will have bad dreams and visions of doom prior to it's striking?

* Earthquakes that create a giant chasm. (and thereby multiple other problems.)

* Floods, river or sea rising 1 Z level or more.
* Magma / volcano activity

Magic ideas:

* Rivers could be magical in nature, having items that act as water sources and as sinks destroying any water they come in contact with. Creating water and destroying it.

Same with magma. Heck, you could probably make types of magma that cool in time and do not retain heat, thereby cooling into metals and other useful materials besides just obsidian. Your fortress could have an infinite metal source like this.

You could  make mechanisms to activate them or at least move them around. Equipping your tower with infinite sources of magma/water/materials.

* Dimension travel with your fortress, just like with Doctor Who's Tardis.
Maybe a dimension of "Adamantine" full of demons? A dimension of poisonous forests, animals, etc... other possibilities to: Get a new start and environment to ruin with your existing "Dorf Tower".

Heck, even traveling and teleporting the fortress in the existing map would be cool. *WOWOOM* You've teleported next to the goblin tower.

* Flying dragon troops and bombers that will try to steal all our adamantine and impose a government to ensure we make no more Adamantine weapons! Weapons inspectors! *Sanctions* and bombings and siege to get a regime change if not accepted!

* Religious zealots and forces coming outside to demand we give up those among our fortress dwarves who are of particular *WRONG* faith for burning at stake.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 05:39:11 pm by jei »
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 10:53:11 pm »

* Meteor strikes
* Earthquakes that create a giant chasm. (and thereby multiple other problems.)
* Floods, river or sea rising 1 Z level or more.
* Magma / volcano activity
Natural Disasters
Magic ideas:
* Rivers could be magical in nature, having items that act as water sources and as sinks destroying any water they come in contact with. Creating water and destroying it.
Same with magma. Heck, you could probably make types of magma that cool in time and do not retain heat, thereby cooling into metals and other useful materials besides just obsidian. Your fortress could have an infinite metal source like this.
You could  make mechanisms to activate them or at least move them around. Equipping your tower with infinite sources of magma/water/materials.
People have already suggested this more times than you can count on both hands.
As for getting infinite sources of water and magma, you can use pumps to recycle it and more is constantly flowing in from the edges of the map, so you don't really need magic for that. If you had infinite sources of everything using magic, there would be no point at all in having trade caravans.
* Dimension travel with your fortress, just like with Doctor Who's Tardis.
Maybe a dimension of "Adamantine" full of demons? A dimension of poisonous forests, animals, etc... other possibilities to: Get a new start and environment to ruin with your existing "Dorf Tower".
Heck, even traveling and teleporting the fortress in the existing map would be cool. *WOWOOM* You've teleported next to the goblin tower.
Dwarf Fortress is designed to be a world simulator and also procedurally generated. Specific thematic worlds would ruin this by being very hard to add in raws and almost impossible to generate randomly. Toady has also stated that he wants to keep technology limited to pre-1400s stuff.
* Flying dragon troops and bombers that will try to steal all our adamantine and impose a government to ensure we make no more Adamantine weapons! Weapons inspectors! *Sanctions* and bombings and siege to get a regime change if not accepted!
The [CENSORED] do that already. And where do you expect we'll be getting so much Adamantine that the mountainhomes are going to restrict its use? Heck, when you dig some up, you become the mountainhomes. You are the government.
* Religious zealots and forces coming outside to demand we give up those among our fortress dwarves who are of particular *WRONG* faith for burning at stake.
It's listed here, under the DIETY arc.
DEITY: Have religions in the game correspond to forces or deities and let you play one and do whatever you like, possibly restricted by your defining characteristics and geography. Related to Bloat344, Bloat376, Bloat377, Bloat382, PowerGoal64, PowerGoal75, PowerGoal82, PowerGoal86, PowerGoal90, PowerGoal105, PowerGoal109, PowerGoal113, PowerGoal118, PowerGoal122, PowerGoal125, PowerGoal135, PowerGoal139, PowerGoal141 and PowerGoal146.
* I hate the new burrows definition. I want the old one where you can order "stay inside" back, or similar to be the automated default burrow instead of having to define it by hand and piece by piece that takes ages.
Also accidental deletion of the defined burrows is too easy... causes way too much work.
* New military system. -- Do they ever obey orders now?
Toady is still ironing out the bugs in the burrows, hospital and military systems. They're all fairly new and have had lots of problems recently.
* Not being able to use and trade caged goblins and other intelligent beings as slaves.
  * Elven dancers at parties!
  * Goblin slaves to work the mills!
  * Troll miners to dig for ore! 
This is mentioned under PowerGoal71, 'YOUR PLATFORM'. Having slaves carry you into battle requires having slaves as its prerequisite. Until then, get the "Friendship Enhancer" from the modding forum.
* Not being able to somehow trap FBs and demons is dull..
If you could just stuff them in traps and have them never even reach your fort, that would be pretty dull too. They have trapavoid to make them difficult, unlike the current goblins.
* No underground rivers anymore? - boring... ;_;
* No chasms and bottomless pits anymore? - boring ;_;
Replaced by caverns, as Ungulateman said.
* Glass portals are not really teleport portals, just glass doors. Teleport portals would be much nicer.
Portal actually means 'entrance' by definition. Calling them portals is perfectly accurate,and the portals from Portal are not the only type.

EDITS:Fixing some errors, adding replies to the first post and fixing the link to the development page.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 01:02:09 pm by Keuran »

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 12:30:49 pm »

Knocked out creatures activate traps (or at least used to). You could setup the roof to collapse when they smash some pillars, causing the dust to knock them into traps.