Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19

Author Topic: DF to Minecraft utility  (Read 194788 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: DF to Minecraft utility
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2010, 01:11:17 pm »

why would it not?

provided multiplayer uses the same map format as alpha, you should be fine.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2010, 02:06:58 pm »

How about make a modded version of DF with only the Minecraft block types?

On the opposite side of the same coin we could always make a custom tileset for MC.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2010, 02:08:27 pm »

yellow pound signs, oh yes

....I am so doing this.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2010, 03:40:38 pm »

How about make a modded version of DF with only the Minecraft block types?

Also, any idea how well this would work at making (a part of an infinite) multiplayer map?
this.

I was actually trying to get it to work but then realized I was building with genesis which has WAYYYYYYYY too many types, so a simplified mod specifically for this utility would be great to have support for.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2010, 03:47:02 pm »

You could actually make a kinda-minecraft mod all on it's own. You'd need to make it so that only Redstone could make mechanisims, and of course, add the critters, but if you do that and give it a good tileset taken right from the minecraft texture thing, it's basically an RTS minecraft right there.

I'm all for a DF-based minecraft texture set, too.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sarophym

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2010, 10:11:51 am »

Whenever I run it I get this error.

"The program can't start because MSVCP100.dll was missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.

I'm having the exact same problem, even after having installed the 2010 Visual Redist Pack (x64).  The dll is in my system32 folder but the error just keeps coming even after several restarts.  :'(

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2010, 04:36:34 pm »

You could actually make a kinda-minecraft mod all on it's own. You'd need to make it so that only Redstone could make mechanisims, and of course, add the critters, but if you do that and give it a good tileset taken right from the minecraft texture thing, it's basically an RTS minecraft right there.

I'm all for a DF-based minecraft texture set, too.

This post has inspired me to work on a DF mod that features *only* the materials in Minecraft. I've got some preliminary stuff up already, but it still needs some work.

Edit: Well, I've got the basic stone/ore/gems/soils working like I'd want to. However, since the utility doesn't offer a way to set specific material of a DF item (that I can tell at least), I'm holding off on completing it. Once I can get the DF to Minecraft utility to output coal deposits where there are coal deposits, this should be more useful.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 06:57:01 pm by jokermatt999 »

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2010, 10:03:19 pm »

Nice. So I've been bitten by the Minecraft bug too.
I've been trying to get this to work, but I'm missing a bunch of .dlls.
What exactly are required downloads to make this work? I downloaded the latest VC Redistributable, but it didn't help. What version exactly do I need?
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 23, 2010, 06:49:17 am »

You need a specific processor version-- not necessarily the one your computer uses. There's a direct link to the right one somewhere in this thread, page 1 I think.
~ T

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2010, 11:49:45 am »

Aha, I needed the 32 bit version
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=a7b7a05e-6de6-4d3a-a423-37bf0912db84&displaylang=en

I had downloaded the 64 bit version to fit with my OS
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

KarolineDianne

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorcerer of Chaos
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2010, 02:11:05 pm »

I got the utility to run, but it won't connect to DF.

It says 'couldn't find a suitable process,' and does nothing.

I'm using version .31.12, and I couldn't get it to work for .31.11 either.

what am I doing wrong?
Urist McSlayerdwarf cancels live: Interrupted by Chaos Sorcerer

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2010, 01:01:49 am »

Can you put an option in to choose whether it converts the map to a snowy map or not? I converted one fortress during the summer and found I like it better that way, but I don't want to be limited to only converting during one part of the year.
~ T

Mrbonich

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2010, 07:56:31 am »

Hi, I can run the process and after I hit enter a new directory called world 1 is created but i can't find a file called out.mclevel. What could be going wrong or am I supposed to be looking for something else?

TroZ_shack

• Bay Watcher
  • Narf!
    • View Profile
    • Shacknews
« Reply #118 on: September 24, 2010, 10:34:50 am »

LucasUP: Yeah, it's a 32 bit app, so you need the 32 bit version of the library.

Karoline: I'm not sure what could cause this.  I've been testing with .31.12 myself.  You should just need to have DF running with your save loaded (and optionally use 'loo(k)''s X cursor to choose a spawn point), and then just run DF2Minecraft.  I haven't yet updated to the latest DFHack, so .13 or .14 won't work, but as far as I know some more work needs to be done on DFHack to determine all the new offsets on Windows.

Jadael: Currently, if during conversion an ice wall or floor is seen, then the world is marked as 'snowy'.  I'll add an option to either allow the detection (default) or to force it one way or the other.

Mrbonich: if you are using the default settings, the program produces output for Minecraft Alpha, which is that whole 'World 1' directory. It will not create an 'out.mclevel' unless you change the settings file to tell it to output a level for Minecraft Indev (the version before alpha which had limited sized areas to play in, but supported taller levels). Just copy the 'World 1' directory into your minecraft saves directory ( users/<your name>/app data/roaming/.minecraft/saves if on Vista / Win 7) and rename it to WorldX (no space) where X is 1-5, corresponding to the 5 save slots in game. Be careful to not overwrite a save slot that you care about.

all:
Japa gave me good idea about having templates for each material type, and then having 'shape' templates for objects like stairs and ramps. I would then for each location take the material and 'carve' out of it the shape for that location, be it a wall, a floor, a pillar, stairs, or whatever it happens to be. This will allow much easier material differentiation than the previous system, which would have required 40 to 50 entries in the setting file per material, whereas under the new system, each material will only be a one line entry.

In addition to this (this was already working before starting on the idea from Japa), it will be possible to have buildings rotated depending on the surrounding tiles.  For example, chairs will be rotated to face a table next to it, or rotated to face away from a wall if no tables are nearby, instead of always facing north. Currently, doors, floodgates, chairs, coffers, cabinets, vertical bars, wall grates and torches are altered depending on surrounding tiles. What isn't done yet, is applying the same system to walls, so that if there is a diagonal hallway, the wall shape can be automatically altered to allow passage.

I want to finish up those features, and then if DFHack's latest version is working with .13 and .14 by then, also include the latest DFHack library before the next release.  Hopefully that will be sometime early next week, but when testing Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft, sometime you lose hours of time ;)  Also, like Notch, I've been bitten by the Civ 5 bug.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 02:48:31 pm by TroZ_shack »
DF2MC -> Convert DF Maps to Minecraft Levels so you can use Minecraft as a 3D visualizer for Dwarf Fortress
DF2MC - The cause of 15+ head explosions and counting!

Mrbonich

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 24, 2010, 11:48:14 am »

Thanks for the reply, loaded up my volcano fortress and it looked amazing. Great work.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19