Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19

Author Topic: DF to Minecraft utility  (Read 194779 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: DF to Minecraft utility
« Reply #255 on: February 18, 2012, 09:20:10 am »

it kinda sorta is, in a way... ish.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 18, 2012, 11:27:50 am »

I.e.
It's a DFhack util now, and it *is* included in the LNP.
So have fun. :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 18, 2012, 11:36:54 am »

but it needs to be updated to work with the new map format and support large height worlds.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 24, 2012, 08:43:15 am »

but it needs to be updated to work with the new map format and support large height worlds.
Thats kind of what i ment.
There are plenty of 16x16x16 chunk mods out there tough, if you can get some to help you a bit...

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #259 on: February 24, 2012, 06:11:21 pm »

There are plenty of 16x16x16 chunk mods out there tough, if you can get some to help you a bit...
Nope. Not doing weird third party world formats. With something actually released by Mojang, I can be pretty sure that the code will work some years down the line. Minecraft is pretty good at converting old worlds to new formats :) Someone making a mod that adds a bigger/taller world format and expecting that to survive? I just don't think that's a good idea from the developer's perspective.

I haven't included this in the current dfhack release, because the new DF maps just don't fit into the limited vertical space current Minecraft worlds provide and honestly, it was a bit too buggy. I mean no disrespect towards the original author, but it's just not the cleanest C++ code under the sun. The code that writes MC worlds needs to be abstracted away into a proper library (or a third party library should be used) and the function mapping DF tiles to MC tiles needs to stop using string processing so heavily.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 25, 2012, 03:49:59 pm »

If I get time, I might try making a bunch of supporting classes for use in such a thing.
But my free time should really go to LNP/Modloader...
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 27, 2012, 05:16:09 pm »

Nope. Not doing weird third party world formats. With something actually released by Mojang, I can be pretty sure that the code will work some years down the line. Minecraft is pretty good at converting old worlds to new formats :) Someone making a mod that adds a bigger/taller world format and expecting that to survive? I just don't think that's a good idea from the developer's perspective.
It was added in one of the developer snapshots. Worlds are taller now.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 10, 2012, 06:58:41 am »

Ye, but minecraft indev files cant be converted, btw, a new format has arrived, now twice as high!
(might be enough for more shallow worlds)

EDIT:
And else you could cut off the topmost tiles so you dont spill any valuable space.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 12:51:12 pm by miauw62 »

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Matthmatt1213

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Science!! Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 31, 2012, 12:56:20 am »

Can someone please update this? Stonesense is cool, but it's not the same as walking around the fortress yourself.
Hmm. Now i've got "mountain goat soap thread" and something like kidney fiber and i've seen roasts made out of leather.
selling elven princess booze to a human shopkeeper will fetch some wild stories.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 31, 2012, 04:16:33 am »

It was updated as part of DFhack, I have been gone for a week now and think they're still working on updating it to new DF/MC.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #265 on: March 31, 2012, 05:32:11 am »

It was updated as part of DFhack, I have been gone for a week now and think they're still working on updating it to new DF/MC.
I have to admit, it still needs a lot of work to be useful ~_~

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 31, 2012, 10:35:25 am »

Well.
At least it's something >.>
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 31, 2012, 10:54:47 am »

Well.
At least it's something >.>
Indeed.

Dark_Oppressor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 05, 2012, 08:25:38 pm »

Is this currently being worked on by anyone? Or would it be worth the effort to check out the source?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 06, 2012, 12:43:53 am »

I don't think anybody's currently doing anything with it.

If you want to mess with it, you need to get the DFhack source first, which will also get you the source for this and the other stuff that uses DFhack.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19