Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]

Author Topic: DF to Minecraft utility  (Read 194752 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: DF to Minecraft utility
« Reply #270 on: July 29, 2012, 11:53:42 am »

Hey Japa, what was the last version that was still compatiable with the program?
I couldn't find anything in the recent pages that said the most recent version.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Zyracksis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 29, 2013, 06:45:56 am »

I don't think it's worked since 40d. Really hope someone fixes that

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #272 on: March 29, 2013, 07:03:50 am »

I don't think it's worked since 40d. Really hope someone fixes that
Feel free to do so.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 02, 2013, 12:04:19 am »

This would be amazing if it worked, but my programming kungfu is not strong enough to get it to work despite my attempts :(

Also, this thread.

It is a zombie.

Brains.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #274 on: June 02, 2013, 02:49:35 pm »

I'd love to check it out; does anyone have any errorlogs as to why it doesn't work on hand?  I'm going to have to look into DF Hack's source first (Been meaning to anyways), but I'd love to take a look at the source for this.  From what I saw in the source link, this appears to be written in C++, which is good.  Here in a bit, I'll look into it, can't make any promises though :P
'ere the Chias get hungry...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 02, 2013, 03:02:34 pm »

It's not working well enough for errorlogs. It just plain needs to be re-made nearly from scratch. that's how broken it is.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #276 on: June 02, 2013, 03:08:27 pm »

It's not working well enough for errorlogs. It just plain needs to be re-made nearly from scratch. that's how broken it is.
Fun stuff. I'd have to take a look into how MC encodes world files then. Nevertheless, I could see about rewriting it in C#/VS.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 02, 2013, 03:26:40 pm »

If you want it to be fast, it would have to be a Dfhack plugin, which requires that it's in C++. However, if you do it similarly to how Isoworld does it, it can be in any language, though Java would result in the easiest loading and saving of minecraft worlds.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #278 on: June 02, 2013, 03:29:10 pm »

If you want it to be fast, it would have to be a Dfhack plugin, which requires that it's in C++. However, if you do it similarly to how Isoworld does it, it can be in any language, though Java would result in the easiest loading and saving of minecraft worlds.
Yeah, I started thinking about it; a DF Hack plugin would be best.  While Java is MC's native language, I really do not like Java, so it's highly unlikely I'd write it in that.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 02, 2013, 03:37:48 pm »

direct DFhack plugin would need to be in C++, but fortunately the DFhack functions for communicating with it are robust enough that other languages are still fine.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #280 on: June 06, 2013, 11:52:17 am »

There are decent minecraft world format libs around for java. The other option could be python and the pymclevel lib that MCEdit uses. MCEdit can write changes TO a world, so it must be decent and usable. I have no idea how good are any of the available libs at generating a world from scratch though.

World height is a problem. DF worlds are higher than MC allows, if you want to keep enough detail to be able to walk around in the tunnels. Old DF2MC converted 1 DF tile into 3x3x3 MC blocks - 1 layer for the floor, 2 for whatever other stuff inside. It had to remove 'boring' layers to fit the world into the MC height limit most of the time.

The IDEAL way to do this would actually be a minecraft mod that uses data from DF as part of worldgen. No need to deal with the low-level stuff related to minecraft saves. It could even sync up with DF adventure mode and show you the world as you go through it. If you made the player only 0.7m high in minecraft and added a bunch of custom blocks for the MC equivalents via modding, you could get something roughly comparable (and less weird/cut off). This would be a lot of effort however, not only to make, but also to maintain it.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 17, 2013, 04:49:33 pm »

If someone would make that, I'd happily be stuck on one version of MC forever. Or at least until it updates.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]