Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19

Author Topic: DF to Minecraft utility  (Read 195294 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: DF to Minecraft utility
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2010, 07:01:08 pm »

Your pyramid is crooked. :P

Heh, minecraft doesn't work for me any more.
Does anyone know how i could fix the 'pixel format bot accelerated' problem? I got the newest version of java.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2010, 10:13:29 pm »

Which Dwarf Heaven Canyon Castle are you talking about? The succession Duke and I ran? I've got the saves somewhere that I can try to look around at.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2010, 12:06:04 am »

Cool stuff. I'd like to see what it made of some larger, more complex, forts. Especially some of the forum favourites.
Nist Akath would be interesting to see in Minecraft.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2010, 08:33:24 am »

Whoa, this is really incredible, TroZ. I wasn't expecting backwards compatibility at all! I can happily run around in my forts now! :D

e- Actually, damn, I can't seem to finish converting Undergrotto. It's a 6x6 embark with I think 99 z-levels, so I figured I'd give converting the whole thing a shot (there aren't really any z-levels I'd be happy to lose). Thought it would be okay as the readme listed about double that space as being too much for Minecraft, but I can never get past the first 30-ish z-levels. Could anyone give me a hand here? It'd be rather appreciated. If you can't fix the CAT_MOUTH on your own, just grab these raws and you oughta be fine.

double e- I'm new to Minecraft but I think you would want to grab the Undergrotto save with no water running to convert (both are in the .zip), or else upon loading Minecraft you're going to have a mad rush of water lagging down the mountain a bit.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 08:45:16 am by Retro »

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2010, 11:44:47 am »

Wow

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2010, 12:45:20 pm »

I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2010, 01:11:48 pm »

I tried using this, i have the updated files required.... but it does not work correctly.

The files convert.. i load it.. and it looks as if i am placed on a sea of lava.. yet the game seems frozen and i only take one hit of damage before the game crashes.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Norskov

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2010, 08:57:22 am »

I really want to try this, but whenever I run it, it crashes on layer 133/147. Any idea what could be causing this?

I'm not sure what could be causing that.  Do you get any particular error message?

If you could post your fortress save (just zip the whole region folder and post it somewhere, and reply with a link), I could download it and run a conversion in the debugger and see what is going wrong.

Mine crashes as well, but on 157/179. I don't get any error messages besides the "The program has stopped working". I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. I've sent you a PM with a link to my save. Oh, and Dwarf Fortress stops responding when DF2minecraft crashes.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2010, 12:01:09 pm »

I tried using this, i have the updated files required.... but it does not work correctly.

The files convert.. i load it.. and it looks as if i am placed on a sea of lava.. yet the game seems frozen and i only take one hit of damage before the game crashes.

I had this issue for a bit, Japa solved it for me. Maybe ask him what he did.

I really want to try this, but whenever I run it, it crashes on layer 133/147. Any idea what could be causing this?
Mine crashes as well, but on 157/179. I don't get any error messages besides the "The program has stopped working". I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. Oh, and Dwarf Fortress stops responding when DF2minecraft crashes.

Yup, same issue, though on a different layer. Win7 64-bit as well.

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2010, 02:20:33 pm »

Mine crashes as well, but on 157/179. I don't get any error messages besides the "The program has stopped working". I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. Oh, and Dwarf Fortress stops responding when DF2minecraft crashes.

Yup, same issue, though on a different layer. Win7 64-bit as well.

Same thing, but didn't notice what layer it was besides being really deep.

The 40d version works fine, however.
~ T

TroZ_shack

• Bay Watcher
  • Narf!
    • View Profile
    • Shacknews
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2010, 11:33:38 pm »

Woah, I didn't read this thread over the holiday weekend, and it's really taken off!

I've been attempting for get Minecraft Alpha saves working, but no success so far. It's close (each individual file can be opened bu NBTEdit - a raw Minecraft save file editor), but for some reason the group of files as a whole cannot be opened by either minecraft or two different Minecraft Alpha level editors that I've tried).

If your are spawning in lava, you can try to set the spawn point by placing the cursor in DF, using one of the functions that give the the yellow 'X' cursor such as 'k', or 'v', or 'q'. 
However, Minecraft seems to fill the lowest level of the map with lava, so if you are attempting to put the spawn on the bottom of the converted region, that may be the issue.  If you don't have the yellow 'X' cursor on screen at all, or if it is an area not included in the output, the spawn defaults to the center of the converted region, on top of the highest non-air block.

As for the number of levels - Minecraft Alpha supports 128 blocks from the bottom of the world to the sky, with sea level being at 64 blocks up.  I've been using a similar height in the levels I've been converting for Minecraft Indev.
This means, that you will only be able to get 42 levels from DF into Minecraft Alpha (if I even get it working) as each level in DF becomes 3 layers of cubes in Minecraft (128 / 3 = 42 2/3).
Minecraft Indev can in theory support a much taller level (a few thousand cubes in each direction), but the version that runs from the website is limited to 256MB of RAM, and so it cannot load too large of a level.  There is a downloadable version of Indev available from some other sites, but as far as I know, not an official version that is supported.

I'm going to look into the one region that I was sent that crashes DF2MC.  Hopefully I can fix the issue.  If DF2MC does crash for you, you can use DFunstuck that is comes with StoneSense and other utilities to get DF working again (DF2MC, StoneSense and several other utilities all are based upon DFHack). DFHack allows other programs to pause DF, read from it's memory, and set it going again - StoneSence does this so quickly that you don't notice that DF get paused 5 times a second to read a small section of the level to display, whereas DF2MC pauses it for a longer while and attempts to read all or most of the data from the map. DFunstuck is a small utility from DFHack that undoes the pausing that DFHack does before reading from DF's memory.  Anyway, you can use the DFunstuck from Stonesense to get DF going again if DF2MC crashes. If requested, I'll include it in the DF2MC download, but the intention is to have DF2MC operate without crashing, even if it may not be able to do the conversion for some reason, it should leave Dwarf Fortress in an operating state.
DF2MC -> Convert DF Maps to Minecraft Levels so you can use Minecraft as a 3D visualizer for Dwarf Fortress
DF2MC - The cause of 15+ head explosions and counting!

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2010, 04:12:44 am »

The spawn don't work as intended. On my map if I let him choose the spawnpoint it spawns me in the lava. If I choose a spawnpoint myself (aboveground, because "there is not enough place here to spawn" if I try to spawn directly in my fortress) it spawns me too high in the air and I die when I hit the ground. :'(
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2010, 04:54:06 am »

the issue here is that most of your fort is made from amaterial that shows up as air in minecraft, most likeley.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2010, 09:34:35 am »

As for the number of levels - Minecraft Alpha supports 128 blocks from the bottom of the world to the sky, with sea level being at 64 blocks up.  I've been using a similar height in the levels I've been converting for Minecraft Indev.
This means, that you will only be able to get 42 levels from DF into Minecraft Alpha (if I even get it working) as each level in DF becomes 3 layers of cubes in Minecraft (128 / 3 = 42 2/3).
Minecraft Indev can in theory support a much taller level (a few thousand cubes in each direction), but the version that runs from the website is limited to 256MB of RAM, and so it cannot load too large of a level.  There is a downloadable version of Indev available from some other sites, but as far as I know, not an official version that is supported.

Ah, that answers that, thank you. I'll try reloading my map at 1 tile = 1 cube, and I'll be sure to keep the 128 limit in mind.

TroZ_shack

• Bay Watcher
  • Narf!
    • View Profile
    • Shacknews
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2010, 04:50:15 pm »

I've just released the latest version of DF2MC that converts Dwarf Fortress levels into Minecraft maps. Now with ALPHA support and (nearly) properly lighting!

Download converter: http://github.com/TroZ/DF2MC/downloads

Example output (4-6 fortresses per rar, except Flarechannel):
http://troz.shackspace.com/minecraft/df2mc/alpha/MyFortresses.rar
http://troz.shackspace.com/minecraft/df2mc/alpha/CommunityForts31.rar
http://troz.shackspace.com/minecraft/df2mc/alpha/CommunityForts40d.rar
http://troz.shackspace.com/minecraft/df2mc/alpha/Flarechannel.rar
warning: some fortresses are prepared to self-grief, with lava (in smelters/furnaces) close to wood or ice (Roadraced and Frozenhalls in particular).
Maps for my fortresses can be found here: http://mkv25.net/dfma/usermaps.php?searchValue=TroZ&searchArea=author&submit_search=Search
Undergrotto is split into 3 parts (42 layer limit, it has 99) - 1 is the top 42 levels, 2 is from ground level up, 3 is the bottom 42 levels.
Flarechannel is the top 42 layers, still working on the conversion of the bottom.  For some reason it take hours to convert this game, while other take less than 10 minutes.

Limitations:
The conversion converts each square in Dwarf Fortress into a 3x3 block of cubes in Minecraft.  Because of this, only 42 levels can be converted at once.  For most of the examples, I use a 'smart' mode that removes layers that don't have 'explorable' space, which causes the caves to be closer to the surface to be included in the converted region. Building are converted, but things like tables chairs and doors don't have a direction (yet), and so may appear somewhat awkwardly.

Take a look at the example maps, or try some conversions yourself and tell me what you think!
DF2MC -> Convert DF Maps to Minecraft Levels so you can use Minecraft as a 3D visualizer for Dwarf Fortress
DF2MC - The cause of 15+ head explosions and counting!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19