Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19

Author Topic: DF to Minecraft utility  (Read 195653 times)

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF to Minecraft utility
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2010, 10:36:31 pm »

Awesome, whatever bug was causing the crash at a deep level before is gone now.
And Alpha runs better on my computer too.

Pretty amazing walking around some of my bigger forts. I have to keep a map handy to not get lost.

Is it possible to convert to non-cubic shapes? One fort I have would look better with 3x3x4 tiles, or maybe even 2x2x4. A 2 block high room always feels slightly too small in Minecraft because of how the perspective works. I mean, I guess it makes sense if I'm a human walking around in a dwarf fort, but 3-high rooms might feel more like how the dwarfs see it?
~ T

TroZ_shack

• Bay Watcher
  • Narf!
    • View Profile
    • Shacknews
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2010, 10:18:28 am »

At the moment, only cubic groups of blocks are supported for replacing each tile in Dwarf Fortress, however, that is something I will probably look at for the next version.

Actually, I haven't tested anything other than 3x3x3 yet, but as I read the size and all the objects out of the configuration file, there shouldn't be an issue. If someone else wants to try to make a conversion settings file, I'll include it in the release as an alternate size that can be used.

For the next version, I'm planning the support the rotation for buildings like chairs and beds depending on nearby objects (chairs would face tables, or away from walls they were next to, bads would have the headboard against the wall). This would also allow doors to not have the doors in all directions, only the ones for the walls they were between would be added to the map. I'd probably also support having the conversion block height different that the width/length (would would have to be the same).

After that, The things I'd like to do run into the limitations of what DFHack currently supports. The current version of DFHack doesn't support getting the fortress name and while it does support getting the in game date, the value returned when I tried it did not anywhere near correct.  I'd like both of those to create the save file/directory name.  I'm also not sure how to tell if a wall / floor has been engraved (am I'm detecting smooth, although not in an ideal manner (each location is supposed to have th bit set indicating if it has been smoothed, but I'm not finding that that is ever set; what I've currently is checking if the tile description the DFHack returns has the word smooth in it).  Then the only other thing I'd like to do is convert *some* objects, like barrels/bin in piles to chests in Minecraft possibly filling them with generic food / armor / weapons.  For example, a barrel containing food would be converted the a chest with mushroom soup (or bread or grilled pork) while a bin with weapons would contain swords in Minecraft (and crossbows would be converted into bows). Besides bins/barrels there isn't too much I would convert out of the box into blocks.  Converting think like armor on the floor to an armor item sitting on the floor would be a bit more work as items are not stored the same way as blocks are in minecraft, but it could be done with some more work.

The only other things I'd like to do is better conversion of different floor/wall materials into Minecraft. For example, gem walls should be regular stone with a diamond ore block in the center, lignite should be 3x3x3 of coal, magnetite should be 3x3x3 of iron ore, while most 'vein' rock should be mostly normal rock with an occasional ore just so it can be differentiated from a 'layer' rock type.
DF2MC -> Convert DF Maps to Minecraft Levels so you can use Minecraft as a 3D visualizer for Dwarf Fortress
DF2MC - The cause of 15+ head explosions and counting!

Urist McBusDriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2010, 12:51:50 pm »

This is incredible! Really enjoying being able to walk round my fort!

Or I would if it didn't have all the charm and ambience of Heathrow Terminal 3 from the first person perspective :-P The most impressive space in the fort is the half-built water cistern!

This utility really helps me to understand what it must be like for the elf ambassador to visit a dwarf mine...
Of course, since he doesn't actually walk around counting things, we can only assume that bookkeeping time is spent in deep meditation, psychically sensing exactly how many piles of orthoclase there are. It takes a while to hone a skill like that.

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2010, 06:51:11 pm »

Is there an option to disable the randomly place torches, so I can line the walls with torches myself?
~ T

TroZ_shack

• Bay Watcher
  • Narf!
    • View Profile
    • Shacknews
« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2010, 12:42:43 am »

Not specifically. 

However, if you edit the config file, you can find the building.torch entry and change change the 'torch' in the center of the materials to 'air'. Then whenever it decides to place a torch it won't actually place anything.
DF2MC -> Convert DF Maps to Minecraft Levels so you can use Minecraft as a 3D visualizer for Dwarf Fortress

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2010, 01:13:54 am »

Walls could detect where walls are around them as well.

If it's between a wall to the north and south it could look like this:
Code: [Select]
-X-
-X-
-X-
West and east could be:
Code: [Select]
---
XXX
---

And all others could be a cross like pillars are; or you could go all out and make all the corners and intersections.

I think walls need to be crossed shaped at least though, a lot of forts use diagonal walkways and even diagonal doors. Discerning pillars isn't really that important.

EDIT: Ooh, and engravings could be represented by paintings.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 04:57:29 am by Jadael »
~ T

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2010, 03:35:13 pm »

This is really, really cool. Is there a list of what converts to what anywhere?

TroZ_shack

• Bay Watcher
  • Narf!
    • View Profile
    • Shacknews
« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2010, 07:06:59 pm »

The settings.xml file (which you can open with notepad) basically tells the program how to convert items in the Dwarf Fortress world into a set of Minecraft cubes.

The 'objects' section contains names of Dwarf Fortress objects, and the list of minecraft materials that that object should be converted into.  In the default settings files, each object it turned into a 3x3x3 cube of block in minecraft. You can change this at the top of the file, but then you would have to change the definition for most objects to actually have the conversion work.  Each object has a list of 'materials' that they are made up of. This list if the list of blocks in minecraft that the object should be converted into. It must be 'squaresize' cubed, so for example, it should be 27 items long for a squares size of 3 (3*3*3) or 64 items long if you set squaresize to 4.  The actual list of materials starts at the top north west corner of the group of objects, then proceeds east until the end of the row, then the next row to the south comes, continuing west to east. After the southern most row on the top layer is done, we start the next layer at the north west corner, and proceed as we did for the top layer. This continues for all the remaining layers.

To make it easier on myself, I use three different separators. This is only to help me or people editing the file, the program doesn't care which of the three separators you use.  I use comma (,) between a block and one to it's east, semicolon (;) to between a row and the row to it's south, and pipe (|) between a layer and the layer below it.

If you make improvements to the settings file, or make a settings file for a different size, such as 4x4x4, please post it here and I'll either incorporate the improvements, or include it as an alternate settings file that can be used.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2010, 10:00:03 pm »

This looks interesting. I remember crafting a replica of the Bloodfist in Minecraft ages ago, but I wonder how well this program can replicate it. I wonder if anyone has already tried it yet.

I might try it in case it hasn't been done yet.

EDIT:
I just remembered, I went 1x1x2.5 scale when I made the Bloodfist (manually) last time. This version may get big (Not like he last version wasn't large enough on it's own). So, convert to 3x3x3 blocks... O_O. You can easily see it on the horizon first thing.

Downloaded and working on gathering screens as I typed.

74 Layers Processed (majority was sky and mountain tops)
Lighting Calculated
Save Written (4.49MB)
Played Game

RATING:
Map- Great, but freaking dangerous, in and under the ship. Base ain't any safer either. Plus, it's surprisingly easy to get lost in.
Program- Great

NOTES:
-Seems the center-point of the map is right at the memorial site right next to the magma pipe (You'll start next to the center statue). Airship ain't far. Just face right from the site (Not start point, but the side to your right (West) from center of the memorial WIP), and head straight on from there. You can easily spot it shortly as you walk towards it. It's that huge.
-It is beautiful :')
-Apparently, it tends to get littered with creeps. Probably due to being cavern-like. But it is pretty, and surprisingly functional.
-Unsure about the levers, but there are plenty of them.
-Windmills on the ship actually resemble props.
-Waterwheels on the ship actually resemble props.

Did you make this program just to see what my ship would look like if built?  Here's a hint: It looks worthy of it's title, and this isn't just because I'm it's creator.

I'll provide screenshots when I have the time, but excellent work with the program. My ship looks damn nice. My save is in the project thread. Link's in my sig, of course.

Direct Link: Bloodfist Last save (5 of 5 packs) for full ship

Other saves are included as well as it progresses, use DFMAs for reference.

Spoiler: Sample (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 12:27:52 am by Itnetlolor »

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
  • I had an army of cats once. guess what happened?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2010, 10:38:31 pm »

Seeing this...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Made my do this...

My head just exploded

thanks so much for this... To me this is the coolest thing made for minecrat EVER!

Also wouldn't it make more sense to push the level convert higher into the sky? you could do this just by cutting all the z-levels that are just open sky, then making it so the top most z-level to be converted would hit the top most height of MC.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 11:14:23 pm by Kregoth »
Your not playing Dwarf Fortress right if you don't see a message saying a Kitten (tame) had died in some horrible manner over and over again.

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2010, 12:09:57 am »

Also wouldn't it make more sense to push the level convert higher into the sky? you could do this just by cutting all the z-levels that are just open sky, then making it so the top most z-level to be converted would hit the top most height of MC.

That what it currently does, DF levels are just really deep.
~ T

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
  • I had an army of cats once. guess what happened?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2010, 01:27:10 am »

That what it currently does, DF levels are just really deep.

Ok I wasn't sure if that how it was working or not. After looking more into it I understand why, For every 1 z-level there is 3 used for Minecraft. 1 for the floor and 2 for the empty space the player's can walk through.
Your not playing Dwarf Fortress right if you don't see a message saying a Kitten (tame) had died in some horrible manner over and over again.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2010, 01:28:14 am »

Haha! It works for me finally!

Just have to figure out what is causing the huge amount of lag. I am able to look around my fort, but its sooooooo laggy, its unplayable. Might be just me and the fort i made :P
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2010, 01:33:00 am »

Tried to convert Nist Akath but it wouldn't recognise the 40d process for me
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19