Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19

Author Topic: DF to Minecraft utility  (Read 195789 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: DF to Minecraft utility
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2010, 01:39:01 am »

Tried to convert Nist Akath but it wouldn't recognise the 40d process for me
You are running the version made for converting 40d processes right?

I mean, my ship was made in 40d, and it worked fine. Just check the 40d sub-directory in the alpha release.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2010, 03:55:26 pm »

Tried to convert Nist Akath but it wouldn't recognise the 40d process for me
You are running the version made for converting 40d processes right?

I mean, my ship was made in 40d, and it worked fine. Just check the 40d sub-directory in the alpha release.

*facepalm*

Edit:

Wow
Spoiler: Holy shit (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 04:41:27 pm by LordNagash »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2010, 04:18:47 pm »

Is that the Hammer tower?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2010, 04:29:21 pm »

It's... bigger than I thought it would be.

/thatswhatshesaid
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2010, 04:31:08 pm »

Nagash, do you have a picture of the entrance, or the giant spiral staircase?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2010, 04:35:52 pm »

I'm just trying to find out where the hell I am, at the moment. This place is really difficult to get around. More pictures added to my original post

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2010, 04:41:21 pm »

your second link isn't a picture.
But wow.
is that really what it looks like from the bottom?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2010, 04:43:00 pm »

Pictures fixed, and yes. Trying to find Ironblood's tomb, not much luck so far

« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 04:45:41 pm by LordNagash »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2010, 05:20:04 pm »

Too bad we can't make the traps work.
Otherwise you'd know when you found the entrance to his tomb.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2010, 07:34:40 am »

Arbglblgl! Wow, just wow. I'd like to join the people with exploded heads, but I think there's enough blood and fragments on the walls already.

Has Notch said anything about this in his blog yet? I'm pretty sure a lot of people would find this equally amazing.

Off to try this on some old forts of mine.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2010, 07:55:54 am »

Man, you are win. I'm going to go DL some old epic maps from the map archive and make videos.

You sir deserve 1000 internets.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2010, 08:39:46 am »

Actually after checking, Notch himself would find this really interesting:

Importing a level:

At first, this will just be for loading saves from old versions of the game, but it might be expanded to support saves from other games, mostly because I love pointless features like that. I already have mostly working DOOM level importer written, and it’d be really interesting to be able to load Dwarf Fortress levels, if Toady One would be OK with that.

I checked out a human town, it was weird how familiar the tavern felt.

TroZ_shack

• Bay Watcher
  • Narf!
    • View Profile
    • Shacknews
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2010, 11:48:00 am »

WOW, cool fortresses guys!

I'm still working on the next version.  Currently, I have a way to specify a different shapes for buildings depending on nearby walls or other buildings.  For example, chairs will now face a table if next to one. It not next to a table, but next to a wall (a throne room for example), they will face away from the wall, and have a bigger back and arm rests. They will also have a slightly different shape if in a corner, facing away from both walls on a diagonal.  Doors and floodgates fit better to surrounding walls (and floodgates get switches on them to open them), chests and cabinets are places against walls, and wall grates and bars are also improved.

I want to setup the same system for walls themselves, but will have to modify the code a bit as buildings and walls are handled differently in DF.  It will give walls directions just like ramps have directions.  With this functionality, you would be able to have wall shape altered depending on the surrounding walls, allowing for diagonal passages to be navigatable in Minecraft.  However, doing the lookup for this will probably cause the conversion to take more time, as walls are usually the most common tile type.  I'll probably add a setting in the settings file to turn it on or off.  Additionally, there are 256 possible wall configurations surrounding a single wall tile, and I most likely not going to implement all of them, especially when you consider you would need 256 for each possible material type (stone, obsidian, wood, 'vein', etc.)

Hopefully I'll have this finished up in a few days.

Talking about material types, right now I'm doing basic material conversions, but the settings file has support for more advanced conversions (the same way trees and plants are currently done).  In theory, you could specify a different set of 3x3x3 configurations of walls for every different Dwarf Fortress stone type.
There are two different ways I could see going with this. 1. 'Realistic' - only use 'coal ore' in place of lignite and bituminous coal, replace gems with diamond, replace magnetite (and other iron ores) with iron ore (what to do with other metal ores?), etc.  or 2. Replace materials bases upon color, so,  granite would just be plain stone, diorite may be stone with one coal ore on the surface to color it darker, while marble and limestone may have a white cloth block on the surface, and jet would have one obsidian block, while cinnabar and bauxite would get some redstone ore.
Realistic would be more if you wanted to 'play' the level in Minecraft, but the 'Colors' version would make for better looking converted maps, as fortresses that used different colored stones their construction would now show up.

It is going to take a lot of work to setup these material conversions, as there are about 300 different materials in Dwarf Fortress (and that isn't even counting tree and plant types, just rock, sand and dirt). If anyone was to help write conversions for different material types, I'd greatly appreciate it!
DF2MC -> Convert DF Maps to Minecraft Levels so you can use Minecraft as a 3D visualizer for Dwarf Fortress
DF2MC - The cause of 15+ head explosions and counting!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2010, 11:57:06 am »

here's a suggestion you can think about: have a material template, for say, a solid block of basalt, and everything carved from basalt just uses the template to know what materials are where.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2010, 01:08:58 pm »

How about make a modded version of DF with only the Minecraft block types?

Also, any idea how well this would work at making (a part of an infinite) multiplayer map?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19