Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hospital Layouts  (Read 3491 times)

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
Hospital Layouts
« on: August 29, 2010, 04:53:33 pm »

So I've just installed my pointy stick training room, and it's become quite clear that when the hospital system works, it works wonderfully, and when it doesn't, it fails spectacularly. I have a few recruits down in the hospital healing, some are gonna make it out soon, others seem to be ignored. I have more recruits up in the barracks training, all with multiple red wounds, all bandaged, set, and sutured. One apparently left early, as he still has 'severe blood loss', but he's dedicated damn it! (make that two. Another pale soldier just walked in. I admire their resolve. Three. o.o)

I've found a few things: patients resting on tables seem to receive less treatment, if any at all. And I have lots of the 'Urist McNurse/Doctor cancels Clean Patient/Surgery/Dress Wound: Patient not resting'

I've heard that job cancellation results from tables not being near beds, and picking up the patient disturbs him. However, I have a hospital with 30 beds, all with a table on one side and a traction bench on the other. It's separated in two rooms, 15 bench-bed-table pairs, the back walls lined with containers for supplies, and another room connected to both with boxes of soap, crutches, plaster, etc.

So:

T = table, B = Bed, and R = traction bench

RBTRBTRBT

RBTRBTRBT (and so on... It's mirrored for the other room. This is the left wing setup)

And yet I still get the 'Dorf cancels doctoring: Patient not resting' message.

Is there a better layout for hospitals than this?

Edit: Just had a dwarf succumb to infection, despite having a large medical staff capable of cleaning, suturing, and dressing wounds. He died in the barracks. I need a better layout.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 04:55:13 pm by KojaK »
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hospital Layouts
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 05:03:13 pm »

I get the impression that there are some injuries that won't be fatal, but can't be healed either - e.g. I had a dwarf sleeping in the hospital for ten years due to a broken foot with nerve damage that ruined his ability to walk.  Occasionaly the doctors would move him from one bed to another but that was it.

Vulcanius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 05:05:11 pm »

A dwarf dying from infection doesn't really mean anything, especially if he was susceptible to illness. Infections very often stay around long after the dwarf has been treated.

I never use the bed-next-to-table layout. Personally I always have a large room with at least 12 beds and 2-3 traction benches. I'll have an alcove for chests and another alcove for a well and a bucket and soap stockpile (which often gets filled with other crap). I then have at minimum three 2x3 or 3x3 rooms with surgery tables attached to the main room. I'll also have a third alcove for a food stockpile and a drink stockpile. I create a burrow which covers the entire area and assign all of my doctors to it.

In addition to the hospital I will attach a hallway directly to the hospital with rooms for all of my doctors and include it in the burrow. This keeps them happy and they are always within a short distance of their patients.

With this setup I never have a problem of 'patients not resting', though I do get them spamming about not being able to clean themselves a lot when they grab soap.

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 05:23:49 pm »

So your doctors carry the patients to the tables and benches with no problems?

Edit: I just saw something peculiar. My doctor was surgerizing a child, when another dwarf comes along, picks the child up, plops him down in a bed, giving me the message "Urist McSurgeon cancels Surgery: Patient not resting". That just happened two more times. The doctor moves the child to a table, and someone comes along and steals the kid, causing the doctor to cancel surgery.

o.o

Edit2: I just confirmed what I thought. The dwarf moving the kid has the job 'Recover Wounded'. Maybe not though... he's not moving the kid now. The doctor is performing surgery, and Urist McGemSetter is running back and fourth, trying to move the kid, givng up ('no job'), then running back, and giving up again. There is someone resting in the bed the doctor is standing on to perform surgery though.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 05:40:16 pm by KojaK »
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 09:29:01 pm »

assigning the doctors to a burrow consisting of only the hospital is an amazing idea. im doing it right now. so often the just let the wounded sit there while the wander around doing other random stuff. ive hardly used burrows - will the doctors need food and drink to be placed in there, or will they wander out and get their own?

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 10:15:23 pm »

I don't think dwarves will leave any burrow until they are extremely hungry or thirsty - although Vulcanius' strategy includes putting food and drink stockpiles within the burrow, which would be filled by dwarves not assigned to the burrow (it's a great idea, yes).