Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The most painful deaths ever  (Read 14315 times)

Devonus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The most painful deaths ever
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 01:12:49 pm »

well honestly i think the dodging mechanic is quite realisitic, if needing a bit of work, when ever i see a dwarf dodge to his death i imagine it as an epic fight, where they lose track of most of their surrounding and focus on the kill, and they dodge onto a cliff, and i just imagine them jumping away, leaning back really dramatic, saying "Oh S**t" and then falling, kinda like the fight in 300 where they push them off the cliff "oh S**t spartans, lets run this way, wait.... there is a cliff here, run other way... wait, there are spartans there.... NOOOOOOOO..... *dodges off cliff*"

necrodoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 01:15:53 pm »

well honestly i think the dodging mechanic is quite realisitic, if needing a bit of work, when ever i see a dwarf dodge to his death i imagine it as an epic fight, where they lose track of most of their surrounding and focus on the kill, and they dodge onto a cliff, and i just imagine them jumping away, leaning back really dramatic, saying "Oh S**t" and then falling, kinda like the fight in 300 where they push them off the cliff "oh S**t spartans, lets run this way, wait.... there is a cliff here, run other way... wait, there are spartans there.... NOOOOOOOO..... *dodges off cliff*"

"AHH! theres a carp in the river and it cant reach me! i know! il jump into the water, where il be safe!"

:-\

BCPowers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 01:33:07 pm »

The point he was getting at is that they aren't particularily paying attention to their surroundings because they are fighting which is pretty realistic. If I were fighting someone I wouldn't be thinking about carp and rivers, I would just be thinking about the battle on hand especially if I were in a martial trance.

necrodoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 01:40:47 pm »

The point he was getting at is that they aren't particularily paying attention to their surroundings because they are fighting which is pretty realistic. If I were fighting someone I wouldn't be thinking about carp and rivers, I would just be thinking about the battle on hand especially if I were in a martial trance.

you would think that after the tenth time or so the dwarf would understand to he shouldnt dodge forward.

also im pretty sure dodging is jumping AWAY from enemy, not ON it, especially when you already know theres a carp there.

Dahenk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 01:55:07 pm »

If I were fighting someone I wouldn't be thinking about carp and rivers
Unless you're in the river.... fighting the carp...

BCPowers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 01:57:53 pm »

you would think that after the tenth time or so the dwarf would understand to he shouldnt dodge forward.

also im pretty sure dodging is jumping AWAY from enemy, not ON it, especially when you already know theres a carp there.

Maybe you don't realize how easy it is to lose awareness of your surroundings when fighting, but it happens. Even if you know the layout of your castle from top to bottom if you are fighting something and dont want to die you will dodge in any direction that you can to avoid being killed by the target you are focusing on, wether that happens to be into a river later or not is unknown to you because you are focusing on the fight.

Edit: Ohh Ohh Ohh, I thought you were talking about the other guys post where he was talking about epic battles, but you totally quoted him and started talking about a totally different situation where dwarves are fighting carp in the river. lol. sorry I get kinda lost when the subject changes all of a sudden when I don't realize it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 02:01:45 pm by BCPowers »

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 01:25:21 am »

It must take extreme skill to observe one's surroundings and opponent at the same time. In my experience carp are not very dangerous, the water is.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 02:14:51 am »

I mentioned it somewhere else already, but I don't think of a more painful death than having your 4 limbs ripped off and then being squashed to death with your deceased daughters body

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2010, 02:39:10 am »

I haven't been watching the log text too closely, but...  a werewolf attacked someone, knocked him down, bit his head, and wound up tearing his head off.  With its teeth.

It was an immigrant butcher so I didn't really care, but still a suck way to go.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 03:44:18 am »

One of my favourites involved a creature with two picks and an anvil lodged in its chest.

"Her heart is broken."
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2010, 11:48:19 pm »

The Troll twists the embedded ({iron bolt}) around in The Kitten's Upper Body!  Zefon Libaderush, Kitten (Tame) has bled to death.  (she took about 40 crossbow shots also, that was one tough kitten - who was actually queued for the kitchen anyway).

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2010, 12:21:12 am »

One of my favourites involved a creature with two picks and an anvil lodged in its chest.

"Her heart is broken."

My first thought was "let her go eat in a legendary dining room, she'll get over it."
My second thought was "an ANVIL ?!?!?!"

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2010, 01:04:57 am »

While we're talking about painful deaths-

Serves them right for being so stupid.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2010, 01:12:50 am »

JUST LET HIM DIE. YOU'VE DONE ENOUGH.

All wounds inflicted without any blood loss or pain apparently, despite using an adamantine spear.

She actually continued beating it until it's head broke as well, but then it died (Gee, I wonder why)

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2010, 01:18:23 am »

JUST LET HIM DIE. YOU'VE DONE ENOUGH.

All wounds inflicted without any blood loss or pain apparently, despite using an adamantine spear.

She actually continued beating it until it's head broke as well, but then it died (Gee, I wonder why)
Gosh, now where have I seen that picture before...

On-topic, I had a stupid stray kitten walk into my army's danger room while it was active. The thing walked away with like 5 red body parts, a blue kidney, and blue guts. I think it ended up dying somewhere. Oh well, it was in the butchering line anyways.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.
Pages: 1 [2] 3