Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 73

Author Topic: Serial Killer Roguelike  (Read 112693 times)

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Serial Killer Roguelike
« on: August 23, 2010, 05:23:09 pm »

Looock.

EDIT OF THE SECOND EDIT: To quote a B12er, "HE BE TROLLIN". Youtube account says this:

Hilarious. People will believe anything these days.

Oh hai /b/. On a scale of 1 to 10, what would you rate this troll as? Seriously, I think it's decently epic.

OMG I CAN HAZ SERIAL KILLER SIMULATION?

No. No you fucking cannot. But hey, I've given you guys a bunch of good ideas so yeah. Roll with it if you want.

Also, simmer the fuck down. I'm not taking your interweb details. I couldn't give a flying fuck on a starless night about what you do online. I haven't been hacked. I was actually expecting a massively negative response when I started this thing, which would have made the trolling much, much sweeter. Everyone fucking liked it though. Eh. Shows how much I know. Bit of a cock block to the overall enjoyment, but there you go.

Yes, you can use the video or any of the shit I threw out there as a basis for your own game. Make it look exactly the same as it does in the video if you want. Use the same name. I don't claim any copyrights on any of it.

So the game's a hoax that was made for lulz. It worked alright. Since it isn't an actual game, I'll keep the following for posterity. Hopefully, someone legit will make an actual serial killer roguelike game, and it will be awesome.

SECOND EDIT: The original hoax was that his game was a hoax made to gather data for a university project.

This game is a hoax. The purpose was to gather statistical information for a University project. We reviewed individual YouTube accounts, as well as the forum posting history of various users who expressed interest in the game, to determine if they are also avid players of other extremely violent games. We paid special attention to gamers who sent us PM's with extremely disturbing, sexually explicit content suggestions. There's a lot of you out there. We only needed the statistics of around 100 users, though we've ended up with much, much more than that due to how quickly the game has spread.

There is hope in that a quantitative portion of gamers were repulsed by the notion of simulating serial killers as player characters in a video game. Kudos to you if you fall in that category.

For future reference, two university students were responsible for this small experiment. We both took turns posting comments under the same name, using various proxy servers, in order to keep up initial momentum.

Also note that no personal information (not that most users provide any on their actual accounts anyway) will be used, only anonymous statistics.

Original post follows:
-------------------

This: http://www.roguetemple.com/forums/index.php?topic=1298.0

I stumbled on it today, and I'm anticipating it very much, especially after having seen the video. It sounds very unique, and the guy even remarks that the materials system is based off of Dwarf Fortress, heh. I especially like the details on the character attributes that show up to the right when he's playing it--anxious, worried, covered in blood, at crime scene and etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WYQRURR_oI - Original demonstration video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r42uDyEtUsQ - Character generation interface

----

Someone helpfully suggested that I modify the initial post to throw in some info. Here goes. All the posts under spoilers have info garnered from CrimsonKing, the dev, who was answering questions in this thread.

Long term features of the roguelike:

* Randomly generated city with various districts, or a large, premade city based on a real life location. I prefer the latter. More character can be placed into the locations you create yourself.
* Dynamic AI that adhere to schedules (work,the eat, sleep and so on)
* Night and day with lighting changes to reflect the time.
* Realistic line of sight, realistic stealth and lighting.
* Starting house \ apartment for the player and real estate to buy.
* Regular jobs for income support (or simply steal from your victims or, hell, live like a hobo)
* Hunger and various edible (and not so edible) foods. Cooking.
* Multiple attacks for each weapon (edge, point & blunt for a knife, as an example)
* Trophies. Body parts, fluids and possessions. Place drops of blood on slides if you want.
* Fleshed out mental states, traits and psychological profiles. Experience hallucinations, insomnia, black outs, fits of rage and other conditions. Have traits that automatically perform actions against the players will -- a psychotic who randomly takes off his clothes and runs naked through the streets.
* Drug and alcohol abuse, which ties into mental states and can change your psychological profile.
* Realistic justice system. Get life or the chair for serious crimes, jail time or community service for lesser.
* Realistic evidence system. Police gather evidence and actively seek to find you.
* Disguise's and evidence prevention items. Wear protective plastic suits and masks during messy jobs to avoid spraying blood on your clothes and skin. Place sheets of plastic around the surroundings to reduce the risk of evidence exposure, Dexter style.
* The ability to kidnap characters and take them to any location. Keep them prisoner.
* Reports on the television and newspaper concerning your crimes. Media and public hysteria.
* Join various factions. Become a mob hitman, a crime scene analyst who uses his departments assets to track murderers (hmmm...), a dirty cop, a psychologist who eats his patients. So on and so forth.

Regarding prison:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Regarding jobs:

Regarding cops:

Regarding corpse disposal:

Poison and Fire:

Determining murder and framing others:

Factions:

Preferred Victims:

The need to kill:

RAPE AND TORTURE? :D

Children?

Regarding Skills and Stats:

Vehicles?

Regarding Hunger:

Regarding Nailing Stuff to Walls:

Map:

Moddability:

WHEN WILL THIS BE RELEASED GNARGHH

Extra screenshots:

« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 06:03:03 pm by Kusgnos »

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: Serial Killer Roguelike
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 05:28:03 pm »

Wait, so in this roguelike, are you the victim, or the serial killer?
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 05:30:57 pm »

I don't care how creepy this sounds, I've always wanted to play a serial killer game.

Want.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 05:34:03 pm »

There was a thread where someone was looking for a slasher game, I think it was Ioric.

Looks awesome, I'm not a fan of gorn like Hostel, Saw, etc. but this game sounds like it could be a lot of fun.
Shoes...

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 05:34:30 pm »

Sounds awesome, I like it when roguelikes do anything other than doungens and this is sounding very open ended and replayable.

Not a fan of gore based games either but this looks like it might have more depth than just lots of killing and gore.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 05:35:35 pm »

Weird kinks aside, this looks pretty cool. Look, it has aimed attacks!

EDIT: Oh jesus he took his arm as a souvenir
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 05:39:16 pm »

Quote from: CrimsonKing
I recently bit someone and his entire body basically exploded into individual pieces.

:o

I wants it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 05:43:25 pm »

It'd be cool if he released it, even in its current broken state, just to mess around with.

I like how you can attack yourself.
Shoes...

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 05:45:13 pm »

Oh god

Bodily fluids as evidence

This game may cross several lines. It'll be like the FATAL of roguelikes, except fun.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 05:46:40 pm »

That's a glitch in the damage system you know. :P
It'd be cool if he released it, even in its current broken state, just to mess around with.

I like how you can attack yourself.
I'm actually making a account on that forum to ask just that, I want to try it, even in the almost unplayable state it is in right now.
If he adds scars it would be cool to mark your arm once for every victim.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 05:50:30 pm »

Looks awesome. And the things he intends to do with it are pretty ambitious.

In its release state, you will be able to play the game any way you want. You could join an organized crime faction and take on randomly generated contracts as a hitman, join the police force and take to using excessive force against criminals or simply burglarize homes and shops and sell the items at pawn shops. The end goal is to have an open world crime simulator with gory combat mechanics.

I hope he succeeds.

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 05:53:24 pm »

Whoa, a lot of replies. Have I forgotten how active these forums are?

Yeah, I'm excited, and I'm hoping the developer releases an alpha build, even if it's buggy as hell. The video just whetted my appetite. Civilians screaming for help and reacting when they see you inside their home...and the bit where you could listen and hear 'the sounds of a television' and 'the sound of laughter to the west' was indescribably neat.

I will be waiting for the first version release.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 05:54:13 pm »

That looks sick, twisted and horrible.

But I totally want to play it.  If only to see how elaborate a crimescene I can leave behind.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 05:54:32 pm »

Do. Want.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 05:54:39 pm »

In its release state, you will be able to play the game any way you want. You could join an organized crime faction and take on randomly generated contracts as a hitman, join the police force and take to using excessive force against criminals or simply burglarize homes and shops and sell the items at pawn shops. The end goal is to have an open world crime simulator with gory combat mechanics.

I hope he succeeds.

:D It's like what I want for DF Adv Mode, except with crimes instead of Dorfs. So happy!

I really like the status screen to the right of the game screen.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 73