Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 73

Author Topic: Serial Killer Roguelike  (Read 112940 times)

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
Re: Serial Killer Roguelike
« Reply #540 on: August 25, 2010, 04:03:45 am »

Pixie is just a term to describe a whimsical personality.

So a Manic Pixie Dream Girl serial killer would be someone who sweeps lonely business men off their feet and teaches them to enjoy life and then murders them horribly to feed her friends, the stray kittens.
THAT.IS.AWESOME

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 25, 2010, 04:10:16 am »

I highly suggest how far you can push your game, you may be treading into legal issues where you would have to start giving your game a  very high rating, and giving a check to tell people they can not proceed unless there a certain age, 18A.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 25, 2010, 04:13:12 am »

Oh hey, I just had a great idea!  I'll make create my friends in the game as serial killers!  Actually that would be really disturbing.  But it would be fun to describe to them the exploits of their serial killer alter egos and watch their reactions

MNJIMAN, Games only get ratings if they are voluntarily subjected to the ratings system and the only reason to do that is if you want to sell it in stores that only sell games with ratings.  At least in the US.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 25, 2010, 04:14:12 am »

I highly suggest how far you can push your game, you may be treading into legal issues where you would have to start giving your game a  very high rating, and giving a check to tell people they can not proceed unless there a certain age, 18A.
He isn't selling it so it dosen't matter  :P

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 25, 2010, 04:15:24 am »

Rating by the ERSB is voluntary, and you only need it for you're gonna sell in it in major stores.

Edit: Damn it, ninja'd.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 25, 2010, 04:15:54 am »

Also there is absolutely no legal requirement to get an ESRB rating.  It's just a matter of what retailers are willing to sell.

This thread is too damned fast.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 25, 2010, 04:32:46 am »

Also there is absolutely no legal requirement to get an ESRB rating.  It's just a matter of what retailers are willing to sell.

This thread is too damned fast.

Oo ok, I just wanted to make sure this great game wouldn't get a cease and desist or something like that.

I think a Serial Killer roguelike like this can be awesome, but still be tasteful to a degree.

This is an example would I would suggest would be too far.

viewer discretion is advised on the spoiler below
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

TheCrimsonKing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 25, 2010, 04:33:43 am »

Okay, to clarify : the initial release version will only have the features that you see in the video, as well as a few extra's that will be added over the next month or so. It will take place in a small test district with five or six houses, including your own. There won't be a day and night cycle : it will always be night. The NPC's will only have simple schedules. They will either sit and watch TV, wander around their house or sleep. The cops will behave exactly as they do in the video. No jail : the game will end if you surrender to them. Each NPC's scream or struggle will create a random chance of the cops arriving. The "You hear sirens!" prompt will be removed so you won't know when they arrive. You will have a simple character creation system, where you can choose your name, appearance and basic stats. The preset characters based on real serial killers have already been removed. There will be basic weapons : blunt weapons and slashing weapons, as well as pistols and shotguns. I'll also try to make it so that you can use severed limbs as weapons.

It will get boring after awhile due to it's initial simplicity. Your enthusiasm is awesome and it will definitely go towards me adding features and tweaking the game based on your ideas, but don't think all the awesome shit being talked about will be available from the get go. There will probably be a substantial delay after the first release, with months passing before new versions are posted. I've got a wife and a full time job, and this is merely a fun little toy that I build and play around with every now and then.

In conclusion, most of the things being discussed will not be available for some time and I have not set any of the future features in stone, so some might be scrapped or changed as time passes. I'm not a professional game designer. I'm an intermediate programmer with messy coding habits and this is my first attempt at any sort of game with actual structure and purpose. I'm used to coding applications.

That said...

You mentioned the decomposition of corpses, and how this could be masked or accelerated in order to allay suspicion or just get rid of the corpse.  What about preserving a corpse, turning it into a longer-lasting trophy that you can keep around to decorate the place and fulfill your psychopathic needs?  The skill could also double as a profession and source of tools.  And, hey, have you ever met a taxidermist who wasn't creepy?

I'm thinking that corpse decomposition should work as such :

Decomposing NPC's will have a circular radius created around them. Let's call it the zone of decay (like Miasma in DF). The zone of decay will expand outwards as time passes. Things like walls, chemicals and other things should slow or stop the radius from expanding further. If another NPC passes over a tile that has the zone of decay trigger on it, they will become suspicious. This will set off another trigger that will make the police automatically seek out the center of the zone. Then they will find the source. This concept can be applied to individual severed limbs as well.

Of course, the problem with that is that I have not decided on map creation and how to divide the map itself. I've thought about random generation and I don't want it. The replayability of the game will be in the world interactions and the large amount of distinct characters that can be created. So the ideal way to go about it is to hand craft different districts with as much detail as possible. But the problem with districts is that I'd have to simulate the one's that you aren't present in, which makes the idea I posted above a challenge to implement.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 05:30:31 am by TheCrimsonKing »

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 25, 2010, 04:36:02 am »

being able to torture children/babies would too far. Keep it too adults imo, youngest 19 years of age

Then why do you play dwarf fortress?!?you can torture babies and children in DF!

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 25, 2010, 04:36:40 am »

being able to torture children/babies would too far. Keep it too adults imo, youngest 19 years of age

Then why do you play dwarf fortress?!?you can torture babies and children in DF!

The question is, do we?

I know I don't. I just collect heads.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: August 25, 2010, 04:39:02 am »

So i'm the only one who tortures the little ones in DF?

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 25, 2010, 04:41:05 am »

Yeah. All I do is hunt mermaids to sell their skulls as luxury items.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: August 25, 2010, 04:43:42 am »

To me on DF a child is nothing more than a victim (insert evil face and laugh here)

But seriously if you don't want kids to kill in a game then don't kill the kids  :P

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 25, 2010, 04:44:58 am »

The question is, do we?

I know I don't. I just collect heads.

I generally don't either, unless I just randomly decide to slaughter an entire town.

There's nothing saying the ability to do something means you have to do it.  You have to ability to do all the horrible things you do in DF in real life... well to some extent.  I sure as hell hope you don't actually skin kittens to make mittens.

TheCrimsonKing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 25, 2010, 04:45:37 am »

I've got no issues with adding child NPC's to the game once I've got some kind of family relationship system and proper schedules set up, so it'll be up to you whether you want to hurt them or not. I draw the line, for the time being, at sexual crimes. Everything else is permissible. If I ever do add sexual crimes, I can guarantee you that you won't be able to perform them on children. That's something I definitely don't want to touch.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 73