Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 73

Author Topic: Serial Killer Roguelike  (Read 113443 times)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Serial Killer Roguelike
« Reply #615 on: August 25, 2010, 05:50:12 pm »

Of course, you'd either hide it, or leave them intentionally for the police.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 25, 2010, 05:51:20 pm »

Kind of important for me: can you make children just an option at the menu? I wouldn't be able to play without thinking of sad parentless children :(
What you gotta do is kill them and presto! No parentless children!

Or just be a bit more picky and only kill those who have no children?

I am very upset about killing children.
Do you think killing adults is ok while killing children is not? Does being 18+ years of age automatically diminish someone's worth as a human being? You're looking at a game about being a serial killer, for God's sake. How does it matter of what age the little @'s you murder are?

killerbees1218

• Bay Watcher
  • Sting like a bee, fly like a... How'd it go again?
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 25, 2010, 05:53:08 pm »

People act like killing children in video games is a new concept, lol , Fallout 3 has it modded, Postal Series you can even piss on childrens corpses, but either way, I just want a realistic horror simulator and this is it.I don't care what is it in, or what moralities are. No matter what game is invented you will have alot of people that like it, and quite a few people that hate it. It's the unfortunate side effect of human beings. The developer just has to take the good out of the bad and run with what he thinks is a good idea.
Death, is only the beginning.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 25, 2010, 05:54:37 pm »

Could be interesting that when more detailed psychological stuff does go in, watching videos you've taken of your crimes could lower your 'need to kill' meter. Of course, if the cops ever search your house, you're screwed.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 25, 2010, 05:54:45 pm »

It'll be amusing to see what pacifist-style kills can be accomplished in this game:

1. You have a wood chipper that top-feeds next to a second floor window, you turn it on.
2. You get someone drunk on said second floor in the room next to said window.
3. You tell them they can fly or dare them that they won't get hurt by jumping out said window.
4. They fall in the wood chipper of their own accord and WRRRRRSHGSHGHSGHSGH-SPLAT.
5. Repeat.
And you're totally innocent, free to murder the entire game world, because you didn't throw them into the chipper or otherwise cause them to die; they had the choice not to jump from the window after all. 8)

[edit - for fun, get them high with the drugs you grow in your basement; and then use their bodies to fertilize the drugs.]
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 05:57:41 pm by Mechanoid »
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 25, 2010, 05:58:36 pm »

Wait, are you guys actually against it being just an option? That's weird. I don't give a flying fuck if you want to slaughter virtual children, but I don't want to.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 25, 2010, 06:00:35 pm »

I guess it just comes down to belief and personal preference.

For me, I'd be fine if it was an init option, like how DF can turn temp off or something, except this one is more... ehh, I don't know what to call it.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

TheCrimsonKing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 25, 2010, 06:08:37 pm »

I've uploaded a video of the Chargen interface here. Make sure you read the description though.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 25, 2010, 06:08:56 pm »

YAY
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 25, 2010, 06:14:12 pm »

Ooh!  He used a few of our suggested psychological traits!
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: August 25, 2010, 06:15:00 pm »

Be careful with the insanity effects.  There's a fine line between interesting gameplay mechanic and oh dammit my guy's acting up again, why do I even play this game?
Shoes...

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: August 25, 2010, 06:15:04 pm »

"Hellmoo, the single-player experience."

But seriously: It has to be handled properly within the context of the game.
Like when in the video the player got spotted the police officer; at what point does the police officer shoot the player? Obviously after the player drew the gun and fired would be reasonable, but would the officer npc still shoot if the player had no weapon in his hands? And would the police officer shoot the player with a gun if he had an alternative non-lethal weapon like a taser? If you're a several-time serial killer, do you really think some of the more rough-and-tumble cops are going to hold back on you?
In this case, if you kill (or worse) a child in the game, you'd probably be dealt with even more harshly and with little hesitation by any NPC in the game.

It'd be amusing to play a character that eventually gets shot by a vigilante as you walk out of the courtroom. 8)
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: August 25, 2010, 06:15:12 pm »

I am very upset about killing children.
Do you think killing adults is ok while killing children is not? Does being 18+ years of age automatically diminish someone's worth as a human being? You're looking at a game about being a serial killer, for God's sake. How does it matter of what age the little @'s you murder are?

You appear to have wildly misinterpreted me, and taken the opportunity to put words in my mouth.  What I was trying to say was that I don't think adding children into the game will add enough to the gameplay experience to justify the bad rap the game will get for not only having but for actually encouraging (by virtue of there being no other use for them, and that the game happens to be centered around it) the torture and murder of young children. 

Personally, I don't mind.  And hey, I'd be just as game to try out the occasional child murder profile for a challenge.  However, the developer appears to be somewhat disinclined to crossing too many boundaries, as he made it clear that if he does include sexual crimes in the game, you won't be able to do them with kids.  Again, I personally don't take great issue with a game that lets you rape kiddies (particularly not one where you can't actually see anything), but the dev seems to view the negative reaction from such a feature as a concern.

I'm just trying to put a different perspective on the pros and cons of the issue, so that he can reevaluate whether or not he thinks it's worth it to program kids in the game.

In short, don't do that again.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: August 25, 2010, 06:17:37 pm »

the chargen vid looks cool buuut it seems a bit TOO free to do whatever you want with it - a point system or something would be handy, a fixed amount of points for an average character, and perhaps taking a more difficult to handle psychological trait would grant more points?

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: August 25, 2010, 06:18:51 pm »

Nah, I think we need the leg up.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 73