Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 73

Author Topic: Serial Killer Roguelike  (Read 112942 times)

killerbees1218

• Bay Watcher
  • Sting like a bee, fly like a... How'd it go again?
    • View Profile
Re: Serial Killer Roguelike
« Reply #630 on: August 25, 2010, 06:20:37 pm »

Love the new options, perhaps adding spendable points for the more advanced options so someone cant create a Super Fast, Endurable, Sexy ass characteter , ya know what I mean? But I knew this was going to be an epic game.

Keep up the good work
Death, is only the beginning.

TheCrimsonKing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: August 25, 2010, 06:20:59 pm »

"Hellmoo, the single-player experience."

But seriously: It has to be handled properly within the context of the game.
Like when in the video the player got spotted the police officer; at what point does the police officer shoot the player?
It'd be amusing to play a character that eventually gets shot by a vigilante as you walk out of the courtroom. 8)

The cops, at the moment, will only shoot you if you fire a weapon. It doesn't matter where you fire it, if they see you, they shoot you. They have no melee attacks (at the moment), so they simply run at you unless you provoke them with a gun. That's one of the reasons I recorded the video more than once. I might try and fix that over the coming weeks

Love the new options, perhaps adding spendable points for the more advanced options so someone cant create a Super Fast, Endurable, Sexy ass characteter , ya know what I mean? But I knew this was going to be an epic game.

Keep up the good work

Points for the stats will be added once I overhaul the shoddy stat system I'm currently using. I have to work out how to balance them all, and stop the random NPC gib explosions.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 06:23:22 pm by TheCrimsonKing »

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: August 25, 2010, 06:21:41 pm »

You should also add tasers. That'd be fun 8B
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: August 25, 2010, 06:23:06 pm »

Keep up the good work
I'd say there should still be a game mode in which you can make an uber-character. Just to play around with.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: August 25, 2010, 06:23:36 pm »

I once ask myself what would be the perfect game for me. I describe a game with the exact same features as you plan on adding. You have made me a very happy person.
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: August 25, 2010, 06:24:15 pm »

the chargen vid looks cool buuut it seems a bit TOO free to do whatever you want with it - a point system or something would be handy, a fixed amount of points for an average character, and perhaps taking a more difficult to handle psychological trait would grant more points?
No. I think the idea of creating a super-human out-of-this-world monster or one of the most fragile and weak individuals on the planet is a wonderful design choice; it lets you finely tune your difficulty level and play style without limitations.

[edit - there's something interesting in saying "I'll take it all" and just trying to manage all of those psychological problems. simultaniously.]
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 06:26:00 pm by Mechanoid »
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: August 25, 2010, 06:26:23 pm »

And besides, we need some sort of initial advantage (seducing people with our hottness/charisma, fooling police with our Int, strangling people with ease with our awesome muscles, etc.) over the masses of police and shit, but that's MHO
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

TheCrimsonKing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: August 25, 2010, 06:26:50 pm »

No. I think the idea of creating a super-human out-of-this-world monster or one of the most fragile and weak individuals on the planet is a wonderful design choice; it lets you finely tune your difficulty level and play style without limitations.

Very, very good point. One approach would be to allow complete customization of your characters skills, but still try and find ways to make the game hard even for uber characters. Don't know what I'll do yet, frankly. Something to think on.

killerbees1218

• Bay Watcher
  • Sting like a bee, fly like a... How'd it go again?
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: August 25, 2010, 06:27:11 pm »

the chargen vid looks cool buuut it seems a bit TOO free to do whatever you want with it - a point system or something would be handy, a fixed amount of points for an average character, and perhaps taking a more difficult to handle psychological trait would grant more points?

[edit - there's something interesting in saying "I'll take it all" and just trying to manage all of those psychological problems. simultaniously.]

Once again it's all about prefrence, perhaps adding a "hardcore mode" in which you have to spend points and are limited to certain choices depending on what you choose, and an "Open" in which you can choose anything, would fit both of the players tastes.
Death, is only the beginning.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: August 25, 2010, 06:29:36 pm »

find ways to make the game hard even for uber characters
Bullets.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: August 25, 2010, 06:31:39 pm »

You appear to have wildly misinterpreted me, and taken the opportunity to put words in my mouth.  What I was trying to say was that I don't think adding children into the game will add enough to the gameplay experience to justify the bad rap the game will get for not only having but for actually encouraging (by virtue of there being no other use for them, and that the game happens to be centered around it) the torture and murder of young children. 

Personally, I don't mind.  And hey, I'd be just as game to try out the occasional child murder profile for a challenge.  However, the developer appears to be somewhat disinclined to crossing too many boundaries, as he made it clear that if he does include sexual crimes in the game, you won't be able to do them with kids.  Again, I personally don't take great issue with a game that lets you rape kiddies (particularly not one where you can't actually see anything), but the dev seems to view the negative reaction from such a feature as a concern.

I'm just trying to put a different perspective on the pros and cons of the issue, so that he can reevaluate whether or not he thinks it's worth it to program kids in the game.

In short, don't do that again.
Huh. I honestly thought you said that because you find something morally wrong with it. My bad. Sorry.

From a reputation point of view, it's hardly going to hurt a game about being a serial killer. The first two Fallouts had child killing from the get go and they're considered some of the best cRPGs ever. And this isn't going to be a mainstream commercial game like those were. Nor is it going to be as graphical.

TheCrimsonKing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: August 25, 2010, 06:32:39 pm »

find ways to make the game hard even for uber characters
Bullets.

Yes, but a perfect character would be insanely strong, able to beat down NPC's with one or two hits. They'll also be as agile as a ghost, to the point where they'll be able to sneak up on anyone and they'll be able to spot all the evidence they accidentally dropped and so on.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: August 25, 2010, 06:33:38 pm »

automatic weaponry and motion detection rigged to a seperate security system to trigger an alarm when it's fucked with?
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: August 25, 2010, 06:34:35 pm »

I think we should lean away from a points system. As it currently looks, the system would allow you to choose how difficult the game will be, not the game choosing for you.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

commondragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: August 25, 2010, 06:36:37 pm »

I think we should lean away from a points system. As it currently looks, the system would allow you to choose how difficult the game will be, not the game choosing for you.

this
WheEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 73