Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 73

Author Topic: Serial Killer Roguelike  (Read 113496 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Serial Killer Roguelike
« Reply #645 on: August 25, 2010, 06:40:11 pm »

Huh. I honestly thought you said that because you find something morally wrong with it. My bad. Sorry.

For future reference, I have absolutely no grounds for claiming moral superiority.  So if it looks like that, it probably isn't (unless I'm just forgetting myself again).  No worries.

I think we should lean away from a points system. As it currently looks, the system would allow you to choose how difficult the game will be, not the game choosing for you.

While I do like this standard of thinking, I also like operating within certain boundaries on occasion.  Personally, I think the best method would be to include both as separate game modes.   One where you need to pick and choose traits to create a balanced character, and the other to go hog wild with whatever weirdness you wanted to put together.  That way you could free-play until you wanted to run things by a predefined standard, and then you could fight the points system for kicks.

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: August 25, 2010, 06:41:50 pm »

I think the psychological traits should be tweaked a bit. Er, naturally, the game is in its infancy, and the developer probably knows that there's going to be balance issues, but maybe in a very long time, when it's a bit further along, the traits could be made so that even the ones that would turn out to be annoying as hell once the novelty wore off (obsessive compulsive, anxiety, panic attacks) could have bonuses associated with them. For example, an obsessive compulsive criminal might effectively get an extra chance to see if they've left evidence behind, since they're very attuned to small details, and an anxious character might get a sort of gut instinct about a victim or an enemy and be able to estimate their skill or their strength, and a character with panic attacks might have...hm. Maybe since they have panic attacks, they would conceivably have easier access to prescribed anti-anxiety medications at a hospital, and could use those to drug victims? Sedate them and stuff?

In regards to what some others have said about making the character strong and having everything...how about simply having a point-buy system of some sort, and then having another mode called "Unrealistic" that lets you pick whatever for your character's stats. The only catch is that there's some text above your status screen, or in it, that says "CHEATING". The people who really want to just have mass chaotic fun with an overpowered character can do so, and the people who want to do it 'real' have an incentive to do it, especially since if they posted videos or screenshots, it wouldn't have the cheating modifier in it. Haha.

Anyhow, it looks great as is. Awesome, and thanks for posting the vid.

TheCrimsonKing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: August 25, 2010, 06:43:04 pm »

While I do like this standard of thinking, I also like operating within certain boundaries on occasion.  Personally, I think the best method would be to include both as separate game modes.   One where you need to pick and choose traits to create a balanced character, and the other to go hog wild with whatever weirdness you wanted to put together.  That way you could free-play until you wanted to run things by a predefined standard, and then you could fight the points system for kicks.

Well, in any case the alpha will not contain any limits on the kind of character you create. A few of the stats will be useless though -- charisma and attractiveness, for example. You won't be able to use those until you can actually talk to people.

I think the psychological traits should be tweaked a bit. Er, naturally, the game is in its infancy, and the developer probably knows that there's going to be balance issues, but maybe in a very long time, when it's a bit further along, the traits could be made so that even the ones that would turn out to be annoying as hell once the novelty wore off (obsessive compulsive, anxiety, panic attacks) could have bonuses associated with them. For example, an obsessive compulsive criminal might effectively get an extra chance to see if they've left evidence behind, since they're very attuned to small details, and an anxious character might get a sort of gut instinct about a victim or an enemy and be able to estimate their skill or their strength, and a character with panic attacks might have...hm. Maybe since they have panic attacks, they would conceivably have easier access to prescribed anti-anxiety medications at a hospital, and could use those to drug victims? Sedate them and stuff?

Anyhow, it looks great as is. Awesome, and thanks for posting the vid.

Good ideas all round.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 06:45:12 pm by TheCrimsonKing »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: August 25, 2010, 06:43:56 pm »

Now I'm going to be planning ways to catch a superhuman criminal.

Hmm...

Also maaaaaan I want this game.

Soooooooooo baaaaaaaaaad

Anyway, profile previous murders, find connections, determine a list of likely next targets, covertly set up an ambush.  Not perfect, especially since a ghostface killah from outer space is going to smell it a mile away if it's not done perfectly.  Other than that, first time he slips up try to run him over with the police car.

Maaaaaaan, I want this gaaaaaaame....

Also, yeah, what Acanthus said.  They have security robots that can put a bullet through your head at 200+ yards with pinpoint accuracy, and since they're robots with infrared and motion-sensing cameras there's no way you're going to be able to duck them.  That's really high-end stuff, and not likely to be seen unless you're killing the President or something.

Man, it'd be awesome to play as a cop or detective with one of these guys on the loose, as much fun as it'd be to be the guy on the loose.

Perhaps some kind of reward system could be put in place that only functions in points mode.  If you want to to be Jason Voorhees and go all unkillable hellmonster you don't get whatever the rewards are.

Lots of roguelikes have wizard mode, and I think that's the best way to go.

Also, dammit, stop ninjaing me.
Shoes...

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: August 25, 2010, 06:44:30 pm »

Yes, but a perfect character would be insanely strong, able to beat down NPC's with one or two hits. They'll also be as agile as a ghost, to the point where they'll be able to sneak up on anyone and they'll be able to spot all the evidence they accidentally dropped and so on.
Don't forget body armor. :o

Though hopefully there won't be neo-like bullet dodging and invisibility in plain sight... Maybe have the police NPCs use tactics like walking back-to-back to avoid someone sneaking up on them easilly?
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: August 25, 2010, 06:46:16 pm »

I'd love to play as a sniper in this, but I don't know how that'd work...
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: August 25, 2010, 06:49:27 pm »

About the whole child thing, maybe have 16/18 year old children? I mean, proper people, but who are children of people, so we can take them for ransom.
And then mail them the person's toes when they dont pay up.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: August 25, 2010, 06:51:16 pm »

Man, it'd be awesome to play as a cop or detective with one of these guys on the loose, as much fun as it'd be to be the guy on the loose.
Jason from Friday the 13th, or Michael from Haloween.

Line of sight would be interesting to see for that one to be done, considering the distance at which some of the worlds best snipers have hit a target at.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: August 25, 2010, 06:52:28 pm »

• Buy hunting rifle
  • Find building with windows
  • Succeed

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: August 25, 2010, 06:53:32 pm »

I'd certainly like to play a round of this as a mentally deranged vigilante, constantly fighting to maintain control and not murder any innocents.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: August 25, 2010, 06:56:01 pm »

Idea for a psychological trait: You think you're invincible.  You dodge much less than you normally would, but you ignore pain.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

TheCrimsonKing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: August 25, 2010, 07:01:05 pm »

Well, the current line of sight code is woefully inadequate. I'd definitely like to add them once I fix it though.

Another thing, the severity of the psych trait penalties will depend on your need to kill. After a kill, you will be able to sometimes go days without having any kind of episode. As your need to kill rises, so do the penalties. It's a rudimentary way to simulate the "mask of sanity".

Gonna take a break for a day or two, been working on this a bit too much since I announced it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 07:04:30 pm by TheCrimsonKing »

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: August 25, 2010, 07:03:21 pm »

I mean real sniping, like hitting-a-guy-so-far-away-he's-off-screen and stuff.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: August 25, 2010, 07:05:11 pm »

Oh oh... In the future, add a vampire mode. It sounds perfect for a serial killer roguelike.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: August 25, 2010, 07:10:38 pm »

Oh oh... In the future, add a vampire mode. It sounds perfect for a serial killer roguelike.
Ooh... amassing an army of thralls for blood, turning the smarter ones, and having to deal with vampire hunters... Come to think of it, I can't think of a single good vampire simulator.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 73